HELP!!!EMERGENCY!!!HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think putting the bunny in her room would be anexcellent idea! She could keep an eye on her, give her gentleand quiet attention (as long as she's not a head-banging musiclistening teenager!:p) and she might enjoy being able to seethe babies and mommy a lot. That's a great experience forkids I think! She and mommy would probably bond very well :)

We went to go see the mommy. Shes beautiful. Iwant to bring her home soooo bad. The guy said until we have untilsaturday to get her. I dont know what do to. I want to bring her home.She was tooth purring the whole time my dad was rubbing her nose... ouyvey... i want her

Im almost positive ew are bringingher home... What does everyone think of these names....

Wyanet- meaning Beautiful

Rini- meaning Little bunny (even though she is huge)

and Kiona- which means brown

JimD wrote:
Carolyn wrote:
That rabbit is as good as yours, Jim!

You've probably already figured out how you had to move things around to get it to work out.?

Let us know if you need any help.? I had gotten a great deal on a dogcrate for Cali from Ebay.? You might try it for rabbit cages.? (Just athought.)? You can use hay/straw as the nest, it doesn't have to beTimothy.

After the first post, I could pretty much tell you were going to followyour heart.??You might sleep on it and see how you feel in themorning.?

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn
Hi Carolyn,

I guess you got me pretty well figured out. ;)

I like the Wabbitat cages and they are very much like most of the dogcrates. I had a hard time finding the large size Wabbitat when we gotChippy, but she small and is doing well in the smaller size. In thiscase I would probably opt for a dog crate if I can't find the largeWabbitat.

As far as sleeping on it...I'll just lay awake all night thinking about it! ;)

And I'm surprised at you!!! No request for pictures?? :D

Right now I'm thinking about all of those bunnie noses that will need to be kissed :)! **KISS** da noses!!

Jim

?

?

I know the feeling, Jim. Once I considered adopting Cali, she wasalready mine. I have no regrets. Things have changed in the house, butit's okay. I get such joy and love from her that I can't remember lifewithout her now.

As far as cages, Buck Jones is your man. He has built the most amazingrabbit cages out of dog cages and other things that I have ever seen.

Not that you would go this far, but honestly, Buck's outside rabbithutches look like doll houses in his yard. They're beautiful. He hasgreat carpentry ideas on how to make the task for caring for themlighter.

Dearest Danielle,

Thank you for giving us the update. Chucking when your Dad was giving her nose rubs = Done Deal.

Start thinking of a name!

:)

Love,
-Carolyn

JimD....I would use timothy or alfalfa hay forthe nesting materials because this is the kits first foods. They nibbleon this even before their eyes open. Changing the nesting materialsafter kindling is not recommended until after the babies are a fewweeks old. And, once you do change it....try to reserve some of the"old" nest so it retains the original scent. Otherwise...the mommy mayhurt the babies because the "nest" doesnt smell right. The babies haveno scent. (Natures way of protecting them from predators.) It's*very* important that her nest always smells "right" to her.

The mom (dam) shouldntsoil the nest box as long as you makesure to put the box opposite of the corner she uses as a potty. As faras the babies go....they shouldnt soil it either. The dam licks theirbottoms to induce defacation and urination so she takes care of any"mess".

Lanna

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Oh Jim, I'm so glad youhappened along and foundus!

Your happy attitude and giving heartmakes me feel like dancin'!

dancingbunny.gif

That bunny is in good hands! :)

RaspberrySwirl
Have to agree. It's so good to have you and Danielle here. I like allthe names you have thought about, especiallyKiona- Jan

See, and here I was thinking I was the only one who thinks taking in pregnant animals is perfectly normal :p

of corse not- i brought home a preg. hamstertwice!! i just dont want her to have to go though this withrabbits on either side of her. it might stress her out. plus- she needsher nails cut before the birth. they are like an inch long and supersharp!! and the guy said he takes care of them... nonsence i tell you

######## Update ##########

We went to look at the bunny last night. They are not going to "get ridof her" unless it is to a good home. They said that they screen thepeople that are interested in adopting. The store seems to be cleanandcomfortable,as was her cage. There are several other bunniesthere (can they come home with us , too?) and the mommie appears to becomfortable and content. She is VERY pregnant and is probably 4-5 daysaway at most. The store will sell us the mommie before the kits areborn if we take her by this Saturday. They also said that we couldbring the babies back if we needed help finding homes...or we can justkeep them.

Only two things bothered me about the store. First... her nails were indire need of being cut. They were at least an inch long and very sharp.IMO her nails have not been cut in several months if at all. She wassliding all around her cage because her nails were so long. Secondly...the store thinks that bunnies should be breeding all the time or thebunnie is not happy. Sorry, I just don't agree with this at all and I'mafraid that they will let her get pregnant over and over if she staysthere.

Being that she is due any day, I'm very apprehensive about moving her.She is very sweet. I would hate to have anything happen to her or herkits because she was disturbed or stressed. She layed right down onceshe got used to us and let us pet her and rub her nose. Shetooth-purred most of the time. When we got up to leave she jumped upand looked at us as if she wanted us to stay.

An extra bunnie would mean extra work and resposibility. An extrabunnie with babies would be a lot more work. Danielle is going awayfrom 12/21 until 12/29 so, chances are, she'll miss out on the birthingand most of the initial work. My wife is pretty much against the wholething mostly because she ends up cleaning the cages all the time,however she is willing to go along with what ever I decide to do.

This isn't getting any easier, is it?

I still haven't made any decisions. My heart still says "go get the bunnie NOW", but...

I'm considering letting her stay at the store until after she has herkits. Then maybe we can get the store to agree not to breed her and wewould adopt her after it was ok to separate her from the babies. I'msure the babies would go to homes quickly, but older bunnies just don'tget picked often enough.

This isn't the mommy, but this picture looks a lot like her...any guesses on the breed?
She's about 10 lbs, white undertail, white belly....

[align=center]
rabbits-bunnies-04.jpg
[/align]
Jim (No Pressure Here!!)

Sounds like a Castor Rex.

Would the petstore keep her until the kits are ready? And would they keep her safe? and the kits?

If you do get her or if you don't would you go an trim her nailsplease? Trim them less than what you would your regulartrims. They might have a longer quick in them since they havebeen let go. They need done now, then in about a week, andprobably again after that.... until they are back to the normal lengthfor trimming regularly. Which reminds me, I need to trimBo's. He is a Castor Mini-rex... so I think with her size....she's probably a Rex..... he looks a lot like that bun :)

I'm pretty sure the store would keep herindefinitely oruntil someone buys her. I'm worried that theywill let her get pregnant over and over. They have no intentions ofspaying her or offering any assistance to the new owners with the cost.

As for her nails, I was going to say something to the store clerk lastnight, but I didn't want to cause any issues. I'm thinking of goingback tonight just to check on the mommie. I'll say something then andI'll offered to do it or assist at the least. Her nails were so longand skinny that, at first, I thought it was just long fur between hertoes.

All the other bunnie looked like the were in good condition. Although Idon't remember seeing any hay in any cages. I'll check on that, too.

Mommie looks kinda like the dancin bunnie that Rasberry likes!

Jim

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Sounds like a Castor Rex.

Would the petstore keep her until the kits are ready? And would they keep her safe? and the kits?

If you do get her or if you don't would you go an trim her nailsplease? Trim them less than what you would your regulartrims. They might have a longer quick in them since they havebeen let go. They need done now, then in about a week, andprobably again after that.... until they are back to the normal lengthfor trimming regularly. Which reminds me, I need to trimBo's. He is a Castor Mini-rex... so I think with her size....she's probably a Rex..... he looks a lot like that bun :)

that almost looks like her- shes got different colors of browns thou

[align=center]++++++++++UPDATE+++++++++++[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=left]Alright- so momma bunny (Imcalling her Kiona or Kiki)started nesting today. We are leaving her in the store until her kitsare old enough to leave her. She is as good as ours. The man in thestore is going to cut her nails. She has a whole bunch of hay and isnow in a corner where no one can bother her!! Im so excited. I am goingto take pictures of her in a couple of days. and who knows- maybe yallwill get to see those little bunnybutts!![/align]

We went back again yesterday to check on mommy.She is definately nesting, but hasn't pulled any fur yet. Saturday wehelped them move her cage so she has a little more seclusion. She stillseems very comfortable and content and seemed to be happy to see us.

The clerk acknowledged that her nails need to be clipped, but preferredto wait until after the kits are born. Since she is nesting, he didn'twant to stress her out in any way.

I'm thinking that she will probably have the kits in 3-4 days. I don'tthink the clerk really knows and none of the other people in the storeseem to know too much about rabbits. I think the clerk in the smallmammals area hasn't had too much experience, either. He said that heowns rabbits and he does have some knowledge about caring for them, butI could probably gain the same knowledge from the internet.

In any event, I will keep going back every day or so to make sure themommy is doing ok. I'll keep after them to make sure they cut her nailsor let me do it.

My gosh, I feel like a nervous daddy.

Jim

I'm so happy she has people to love her now thatshe's ready to kindle. I can't believe some of the petstoresand their lack of knowledge about the pets they have to sell!:X

Very happy you named her Kiona/KiKi too...... it's perfect for her and I love those names! :)

Back