Help! Diagnose this young rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good that he ate some of the romaine lettuce. I have been followiing this thread for a while and I have to say that you must be a really kind person and I really hope this bunny recovers. I'll be praying for you and the dad bunny everyday. I'm sure people will donate. I wish I could donate, I just don't have a paypal account. Or I would donate 100+ dollars. I'll be keeping you and the dad rabbit in my thoughts and pray for you and him everyday.

I hope you can get some more local help. :pray:

Have been on the phone almost all day today talking to more vets in and around my town....the only viable option still remaining was to go to Seoul (1.5 hours away) and hospitalize him there for 7 days or so at $80 per day which includes all medicines/injections he will require.

Fortunately one of my coworkers who lives near Seoul is able to give me a lift to the hospital since it's sort of on the way to his house (30 minutes past his house).

I'll be going in 15 minutes now....i have no idea what to expect. I'll keep everyone updated with pics/vids while I can and then ask the hospital to take a pic each day or something so I can see how he's doing.

I don't know if he needs to stay there for the full 7 days but i figure the longer the better right? I just hope business is honest here and not shady...i can see how they might milk me out of the days and just say they gave him meds when i cant prove or find out if they did or not and then say to me 4 days later that he died. I dont know...im sure they are not like that...but u never know. I just heard so many good things about ACRIS so i'm going with them!

Another vet i talked to on the phone today from another city was saying that if he's an older rabbit, it might not be worth all the money it will cost because he might not respond to the meds....i didn't think of that.....i hope he's not that old...i actually don't know how old he is. I've been here 3 years and the longest serving staff member has been here 3.5 years and said the dad rabbit was here even back then. So he's at least 3.5 years old....most likely 4-5ish. If he's 5 or 6...i was told that he's really old for rabbits and that this could all be in vain...he never looked that old to me... i never thought about this.

I hope the hospital will be honest with me and tell me that if they think he needs to be put down rather than milk me of all my money and then tell me at the end of the 7 days that treatment didn't work and he needs to be put down.

Hey, I've made bad investments in the past...i tried to go into modeling agency hence my paypal email "[email protected]" and it cost me 1.5k and I literally got no gigs from it...only a 2 week modelling course and a 1 week acting course and 2 background/extras gigs.

So if i spend $600 here and he still dies....it'll suck bad but least it won't be the worst investment i ever made.

It's 10:40pm and I just got back from ACRIS in Gangnam. First off, regardless of the outcome, I'm so thankful to one of my coworkers), who drove me all the way there and even stayed the whole time while we were talking to the vet and looking into options. I feel like he really went above and beyond his way to do this for me today and I'm deeply overwhelmed and thankful to him.

The staff at ACRIS were incredibly nice and knowledgeable and you tell right away they knew how to handle rabbits.

The bad news is after they examined him (he weighed 2.42kg + cleaned out the gunk in his eye with saline solution), they said his eye is already irrecoverable. When they opened his eye up for the first time in 4 days, his eyeball was covered in that white pus color. I told him that before his eye swelled up and shut, his eyeball was clear, black, and didn't look to be a problem at all. I'm not sure what cause his eye to become irrecoverable after his eye got more swollen and shut. They said that he'll be blind in that eye and that it was already necrotizing? (the term that means it's in the process of death). The only option given really for him to live on is to surgically remove the eye. At that point, I realized that he had to be put down and I couldn't control my emotions. I wasn't expecting that news that his eye was this bad. I was prepared just enough to pay the 7 day hospitalization fee (7x$80) and then pick him up healed, and return to normal life. But now this meant not only would I have to pay $330 more for his eye surgery, but hospitalization too for his recovery time after surgery, and now some after care if/when he is released from hospital. It meant that he most likely would need someone to take him in for good and keep in a clean environment and look after him. With much distress and tears, I had decided he should be put down because I have no idea how i can commit to take him in after the surgery and now give him full attention as my own rabbit. There was no guarantee too that he would survive the surgery cuz of the use of anasthesia. I kept looking at him and he seemed so fine except for the eye...and he was still breathing so fast cuz of being nervous and he'd prop up and down to look around his new surroundings.

After I told them that was my decision, they convinced me (but I sort of wanted to change my decision too) that all the vets there didn't think euthanasia was the best for him because they believe he could be fine and live normally after the surgery. Then they told me, he could possibly still keep the eye, but he'll just be blind....so they suggested, why not i just let him stay for a couple days and they will treat him and see how the infection responds. If they can get the infection under control, then we won't need the surgery and he can just keep the blind eye in there, but if he's not getting better, then they'll tell me after 3 days that he needs to get it removed. Obviously, i had 2 thoughts run through my mind...one good and one bad. The bad thought was that maybe these guys are just milking me out of as much as they can before the rabbit dies. I dished out $200 to keep him there for 3 days under there care and treatment....and opted not to do surgery right now...after 3 days, they'll tell me if they think he can make it without removing his eye or if he must have the surgery. I have a feeling these 3 days I just paid for aren't going to mean anything....after 3 days, they'll just tell me that his eye infection is not significantly better or cleared up and i need to give him surgery. I would have been better off just paying for the surgery now ($330) and then 7 days of hospitalization afterwards ($560), for a grand total of just under 900. But now, if I do the surgery 3 days later, its the 200+330+560 of after surgery hospitalization and i'm paying way more than i first started lol..... now that's my bad thought. Do you guys get what I'm saying? I'm sorry I can't type and say things clearly right now, im completely wasted, stressed out, been on emotional rollercoaster all day, had to go through horrible traffic and then bus it back home.... I just don't know what the hell i got myself into sometimes. But one thing I know for sure is that i didn't him to die just yet. I want to give them a chance to see if they can help him recover without the eye surgery....but my guess is the eye surgery will be required and i'll just end up dishing out more money than I bargained for. So one moment he was on the brink of being euthanized to the next moment, me agreeing to let them hospitalize him for 3 days and then see if he needs surgery...then hospitalize him some more, then when he's ready to go home (if he survives the surgery) I now have committed to take care of him in my place. I worry what will happen when I have to leave this country ....not sure I can take him with me to Canada....I just know that me having to say bye to him later, will be harder than if i just said bye to him now.

Ok I'll stop rambling...im giving myself a headache...im mixed in feelings right now because im totally content knowing he's still alive and has a chance to live on even if albeit blind forever in one eye....but im stressed and kinda in shock that i just committed to dish out 1k for a rabbit that's not even mine, and now looks like i'll have to care for him everyday in my home for the rest of his life...

How did it all come to this? I was just a NET who was compassionate about animals, and wanted to get him medicine. Now this.... I'll find out on Saturday what they say about his progress....but again, initially, they said it was really bad and worse than they thought and said right away the eye is lost (irrecoverable) and he needs to have surgery to remove it.

A couple pics of him i took while he was at the hospital....

9azuxh.jpg

24g69hu.jpg

This is a short video i took while in the car on the way to Seoul. We left my town at 5:15pm and we got to hospital at 7:30pm...lots of traffic...he was nervous during the whole ride, heart beating/breathing fast and once in a while
he would peek up...i tried to just lay my hand on him or near him to ease or calm him...not sure if it helped...
Car ride: on the way to Seoul

oofta but also.....eh....I really dont even want to add up the money I've spent on Shya's eye. And to ship her to the states. It's well over the thousands trust me. She was seeing an opthamologist. I kept waiting for my hubby to flip out on a 250+ bill every time we walked through the door. And she's not even friendly. And she's rude. And extremly ungrateful. That little...anyways. We were in the same boat. Let the eye die or have it removed. We had two rabbit savy vets tell us it would be ok to just let it die with pain managment. We agonized and finally were like hell no just pull it. It's been 7 months and most of the time we forget she's even missing an eye. Telazol is amazing and incredibly rabbit friendly. That's the anesthesia that was used on our bad rabbit. As for shipping, there should be inependent shipping companies that will mail bun bun home for you. I'll continue to ask around in the military community and see who's the cheapest and what not. Major airlines are usually pretty good about shipping bun as cargo as well. Ask this new vet what the paperwork looks like. They may already know. If your gonna spend the money ont his little guy you may as well reap the benefits. He could be a really enjoyable rabbit. Or one you'd like to set loose for the hawks to get.

thanks, for that so much. It does help knowing and learning more about these situations. So do you think it's best to surgically remove it than to just leave it there and be a blind eye? I suppose if that eye looks nasty and starts rotting or something, then yeah, i'd want it removed and just suture the eyelids shut.

I'm so glad you were able to get him into the vet. I know the money part is a bit of a worry, but I'm sure it's also nice to not have to worry about him getting the proper meds now. That was really nice of your coworker to help you out too.

That's the problem with these little critters. They steal a way into our hearts, then we end up spending a fortune on them cause we love them :) That's always a little bit of a worry, wondering if a place is just trying to jack prices up on you, but when it comes to getting treatment for an animal, what can you do. It's certainly a difficult decision. But despite the dad buns eye being so bad, he looked pretty healthy and alert. So it may be that with injectable antibiotics, they will be able to get the infection under control. He seems like a very sweet rabbit. I'm glad you are trying to save him. That would be really nice if this animal rescue site, can get something put together to help the dad bun out.

Bless you for your efforts, I sure hope the dad bun makes it and you are able to fundraise the money for his treatment. He's such a handsome guy and he is so fortunate you were in the right place at the right time.

I have seen a horse with a necrotic eye, eventually it had to be removed anyway. As the eye died it literally shrunk into the eye socket and was painful that poor horse lived that way for four years. I would want to try antibiotics first but wouldn't hesitate if the funds are available to do the surgery and get it over with as long as he is healthy enough to handle anesthesia.

thanks, i'll be updating the situation and a couple of ppl so far have expressed interest in visiting him at the hospital and trying to raise funds.

I created a new paypal email for anyone who is able to donate any amount.
It's: [email protected]

This is mainly to just help the cost of the hospitalization and pending surgery he'll most likely need.

I've already paid $217 last night to get him hospitalized and another $50 as a gift for my coworker who drove me 2 hours all the way to the big city hospital.

I don't want to anyone to feel guilty or feel obligated and normally I don't like asking for any money (I declined a couple donations a few months back when things were well within my manageability). But now it's grown exceedingly beyond what I believe most ppl would pay for a rabbit that is not even their own. I want to do everything I can to help him live a full and normal life while I'm still here.

I've already committed to paying well over 1k out of my own pocket and will do so even if I get no donations. But at this point, yes, any help will be big help.

Costs: $217 - 3 day hospitalization
$50 - gift for coworker who drove me 2 hours to get him to big city
$330 - for eye surgery removal
$560 - (7 days x $80/day) for hospitalization after his surgery

Total: $1157.00 (converted to cdn or us dollar maybe around $900-$950).

Funds raised: $0.00

Donation can be made via paypal at: [email protected]
or if you're in korea and want to make a direct bank transfer to my NH bank account, I can try that also.

(this will be cross-linked also at: http://www.animalrescuekorea.org/bl...bit-needs-urgent-medical-attention-but-no-car

And also in ARK facebook (mainly ppl who live in Korea, expats and korean citizens).

I wish I could help, my bunny is going through a health crisis of his own right now. :(

Thanks for all your kind wishes! One lady (Eileen) today visited the rabbit at the hospital and she also made a $100 donation towards his eye surgery. I spoke with her over the phone and it was just amazing to receive some support and encouragement!

cornflakes, I made a donation but it was to the first address (before I saw the new one you set up specifically for dad bun)...could you confirm it came through okay? Thanks a good luck!!

I just sent a donation to the new address. Thank you for taking such good care of these bunnies. Hope the dad is able to recover and find a forever home.

to both Kelton and eclaire, THANK YOU SO MUCH. Yes, both emails are the same account anyways so it's ok.

I just logged in now and what a relief and feeling of gratitude I have when I got the messages! He's going to have the eye surgery this Saturday and I'll be going back to Seoul to see him at the hospital and make the full payment of $1100 (which includes the eye surgery and 7 days of hospitalization afterwards). Since he'll be in Seoul and I'm in my town 1.5 hours away, I won't be able to post pics or vids of him until he's released. But I'll ask the vet there if they can send me one pic per day of him in his cube just to see how he's doing and for everyone here to see also.

Please pray that he'll make it through the surgery. The vet did tell me that there is always a risk when going under.

So far in total I have 3 people who have donated and I'm just speechless. Whatever the bulk I'm paying all of a sudden doesn't seem like such a burden because of your support!!

Once again, I'll be cross-posting on here and http://www.animalrescuekorea.org/bl...bit-needs-urgent-medical-attention-but-no-car

Thank you from the bottom of my heart...and if dad rabbit could know...im sure he'd be moved to tears also even though he'll only have one eye now.

Actually, this is something funny I want to share. I was just watching a movie today called '300'. It's about those Spartans. I just realized that there was this one guy who ended up losing an eye in battle, and he went on to narrate the whole story because Leonidus sent him back home to share the story so nobody will ever forget. It just felt weird cuz when I saw him with his eye patch n all and giving his motivational speech, the first thing I thought of was the rabbit. He even kinda looks like a rabbit.

Maybe we should name him Dilios because that is the character's name.
fla71y.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully he comes out just fine. My little bad rabbit sulked and went off her food and water when she got spayed. She got her eye removed and was seriously pissed off at me for keeping her caged up. The pain meds the doc gave her were really good. After 24 hours she was bouncing around her cage, tearing everything up, and growling at me to be let out. Uh seriously? Such a horrible little creature. Dad bun looks like he'd mellow out pretty well and be a nice house bun. Get payed tomorrow. Will put some money in the paypal.

I'll be praying that the surgery goes well! I'm sure he'll do fine! I wouldn't worry to much! Thank you so much for helping this bunny! You are AWESOME! I'm so happy that people are donating I hope you get enough to cover a lot of his costs! I'll be praying for him and will be watching for updates on Saturday! :pray:

Latest posts

Back