Help! Bloody urine or normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennythebunny

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Please help if you can. My male rabbit is not neutered and 6 years old. His pee tonight looks very very red, more pigmented than I've ever seen for him. I don't know if its blood or just pigmentation from food. He hasn't eaten beets and had a few strawberry tops which is normal and his pee is usually brown. I know I should take him to vet on the safe side. But thought I'd see if anyone had experience and could provide an opinion on the picture. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220902_190655.jpg
    20220902_190655.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220902_190637.jpg
    20220902_190637.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
All I can say is that is very bright red to just be pigmented urine. And with nothing new being introduced into the diet that could account for the change of color, I would be concerned about the possibility of the red color being from blood in the urine. And with his age, that increases the chances of there being a possible health issue. With the urine being so red, if it is due to blood, then that's quite a lot. I would contact your vet right away. And especially if he starts showing other symptoms of being unwell, I would get him in immediately.

https://rabbit.org/articles/vet-listings/

All I can say is that is very bright red to just be pigmented urine. And with nothing new being introduced into the diet that could account for the change of color, I would be concerned about the possibility of the red color being from blood in the urine. And with his age, that increases the chances of there being a possible health issue. With the urine being so red, if it is due to blood, then that's quite a lot. I would contact your vet right away. And especially if he starts showing other symptoms of being unwell, I would get him in immediately.

https://rabbit.org/articles/vet-listings/
I watched him take another pee this evening and it looked more normal as it came out. Yellowy brown. But as it sat there it's like it oxidized or something cause it turned red but not as bright. Sooo weird!
Thank you for your input!!

Back