Help! Baby with broken back! I need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JimD wrote:
Carolyn wrote:
mambo101 wrote:
Best of luck with Dash. We gotta the bad vibes outta here.:rainbow:

Truer words have not been said. I'm getting scared to login. This has to stop!

-Carolyn
I'm with both of yous on that, for sure!!!

I may have to do my "go-away-bad-thingies-bunniehugger-binkie-dance". Not a pretty sight, mind you.

~Jim
Oh me too. I'm ready throw the computer through the wall.

Get to dancin' Jim!! :bunnydance: :ele:

Jen

Oh Amy, I am so very sorry. I can't believe whata bad time we are having here. To have this happen so soon after littleBrogan is just so unfair. I am hoping and praying the steriods willhave a positive effect. (((HUGS)))- Jan

Amy, I am so sorry! This makes me sosad! I hope he can heal. Just shower him with lotsof love like you always do, hopfully he will pull through.

This is really taking a toll on me physicallyand emotionally. The pain from Brogans death was just starting to pass,and now this, I am so depressed, everything in me aches, and I keepgetting sick. I have never prayed so hard that this baby will pullthrough it. What is wrong with me? Why do my babies keep dying.....

ayglnu13 wrote:
I am so scared though, I have never had to end a babies life. Itjust seems so unfair to me. For the baby and me. He is just so full oflife, and I would hate to take that away:(

Honestly? I wouldn't be able to do it. And here I am, the person whohates to see owners drag their pets through extended illness anddisability.

But if he has the will to live, and not just survive, but thrive- I wouldn't be able to deny that. And if it meant finding him theright home, or even commiting myself to a lifetime of care, I would doit.

Remember Brice, Gabby's rabbit with the head tilt? She persevered,despite the fact that he was seriously affected, and he won't ever becompletely healed. But he had the will to live.

The instant I see the spark die in the eyes of an ill animal, I can'tdrag it out any further. But I won't ever, ever put that sparkout.

Just something to think about...

Here is my baby, I just love him so much

P1012497.jpg

P1012496.jpg

Amy, I am so sorry for you and the little one.Hopefully the spinal cord wasn't severed and the swelling was causingthe problems you're seeing. The steroids might have a great affectthen.

Otherwise, from reading the House Rabbit Handbook and House RabbitPrimer, I have heard of happy paralysed rabbits. After they adjusted,they would run around in their carts terrorizing other rabbits andgetting into as much trouble as they could. I doubt that all rabbitscan adjust this well, though. Perhaps you could call a local HRS groupor rabbit sanctuary? They might have some experiance and could give yousome advice.

I'm sorry Amy. Follow the vet'sadvice, they know what's best. They don'tlike to put an animal down, but the ultimatedecision would be the owners. It will be a long and difficultroad, and would Dash want to go throughthat. You have my support on whatever you decide.

Rainbows!

I don't think you really have to decide by Monday.

I postedabout maybe having toput our dogdown...collapsed discs, arthritis,losing the ability towalk.......

I'm sooooooo glad I didn't rushinto anything! It's been abouta month now.With time andthe right meds,she's not only walking but she runs some too!

Hang in there. Do what you can for any possible pain/swelling and listen to your instincts!

You'll know when and if the time comes.

I know it might not be true, and I might just beimagening it but Dash does seem to be better, I think he might havemoved his leg a bit. He is on steroids and Bene-bac (what ever that is)I am trying not to get my hopes up, but it is just so hard not to hopethat he will regain the use of his legs. I know Dash has the will powerto live, but I dont want him to suffer.

I want to thank EVERY ONE for their kind and supporting words, I dontknow what I would do without you guys! I love you all so much!

ayglnu13 wrote:
naturestee wrote:
I think the Bene-bac is a bacteria supplement- probably meant to keep his GI tract healthy.

Thats what the vet said, so that the steroids wouldnt bother his GI tract.

~Amy
Yes, that is what Bene-Bac is for. Amy, if you run out, you should be able to get it at most pet stores.

Jen

I agree with m.e on this one. I think you will know Amy, if and when you need to make that decision.

But, for this weekend, try to not think about it. Give him lots of loveand hugs and kisses from everyone here. Tell him you love him and onlywant the best for HIM. Its hard to decide. We had to have a dog putdown a few years ago. But, sometimes, we have to put OUR feelingsaside, and do whats best for them.

But, I am hoping this little boy will get some use if not all use ofthose legs back! THINK POSITIVELY! Look what that did for Corky! It canwork for Dash too.

*hugs* Know that everyone here is thinking of little Dash

Virginia

Amy, I am very sorry about the baby and my besthopes go outto you. Did the doctor ever mention anythingabout a possible bulged disk? or even it may have nothing at all to dowith his spinal cord but may just have an inflammation of his sciaticnerve? this will cause paralysis and discomfort, but if any of theseare the cases, treatment with the steriods will improve the conditionsignifigantly! take note tho, steriodal treatment for any inflammationis not immediate...it often takes at least a week to start takingeffect and almost a month for the paralysis/numbness to go away...if ithappens to be a slipped disc, in most cases with the steriodaltreatment, the disc will eventually move back into place...usually in aspan of about 6months....the most important thing to try and find outif you see Dash's condition improve is what initially caused it...abunny flop may have knocked something lose and laying on it mayirritate the baby further...it is amazing how easy it is to slip adisc! oh oh....and if you notice dash's belly swollen, that is a normalside-effect of steriods.Stay happy for the baby it will makehim feel better !

I have some good news (I think) :)

Yesterday Dash had HORRIBLE diarrhea, like it was the WORST I had everyseen on a rabbit, it was litterally everywhere. Well this morning whenI went to check on him his poops were completely back to normal, thatHAS to be a good sign? Right?

I was thinking last night (I didnt sleep much) and if he had broken hisback or paralized it he wouldnt be able to feel his legs right?? But hecan feel his legs they just dont work for him right now.

You should see this little guy, everytime some one comes to the cage hetries so hard to get to the edge of the cage so quickly, he scootshimself over so we will pet him (and of course we do!).

Today will be a better day!

~Amy

P.S Dash's isnt in his normal cage, it is a little one that is like 1and a half by 1 and a half feet, we put him in that do he doesnt movetoo much :)

Latest posts

Back