Help! Baby with broken back! I need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayglnu13

Reaction score
Today I noticed that Dash, our last Holland babywasnt moving around as much. As I went to pick him up i noticed that hehad droppings all over his bum. When I set him down to walk around hejust dragged his hind legs behind him. So off to the vet we went, wegot an appointment in 30 minutes!

She said that he broke (or did something) to his spinal cord and isgiving him steroids for it, and if he doesnt improve by monday shethinks it is best to put him to sleep, i am crying so hard right now...

I dont want another one to die, he has been my baby since Brogan died.... What do I do? Do i put him to sleep? help please....

A very heart broken,

~Amy

Oh Lord, I was hoping today would be a better day here.

Don't give up hope yet, there is still a chance, but I do have to agreewith the vet, if it is broken, it would be the most humane thing to puthim down. Give it some time for the steroids to kick inbefore you make any decisions. They can do amazingthings.

Thoughts and prayers for your baby.Brogen will be watching over him. :bunnyangel:

Jen

ayglnu13 wrote:
I just dont know what to do, can he live with a bustedspinal cord? or will he suffer? I dont want my baby to be in pain...ijust love him so much
I read a story about a bun that lost use of it's hind legs.

The owner continued care for the bunnie, but it was a very difficlt circumstance

Let's all pray that he responds to the steroids and recovers.

Our dog has a spinal problem and started to fall a lot and haddifficulty standing. The vet treated her with steroids and sheresponded very well.

We'll all be praying for the little guy.

~Jim

They do make "mini" rabbit wheelchairs but Iwould never do that to a bun. It seems very cruel to make them have tolive with that on the rest of their lives even if it doesn't hurt.Also, they are rather expensive. I am so sorry and we will keep ourfingers and paws crossed here!

Oh Amy!! :tears:

I'm so Sorry. *hug*

There's little they can do for a broken back. Unfortunately, they dotend to euthanize them because of the amount of pain the little onesare in.

I'd use your own judgement. If Baby is uncomfortable and in pain, I'd let him go to Brogan. Oh God, Honey. I'm so sorry.
I hate it when I can't help or be there for my friends when thishappens. My heart, thoughts and prayers are with you and Baby,Sweetheart. I know you're beside yourself in agony.

:purplepansy:

Love,
-Carolyn

mambo101 wrote:
Best of luck with Dash. We gotta the bad vibes outta here.:rainbow:

Truer words have not been said. I'm getting scared to login. This has to stop!

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
mambo101 wrote:
Best of luck with Dash. We gotta the bad vibes outta here.:rainbow:

Truer words have not been said. I'm getting scared to login. This has to stop!

-Carolyn
I'm with both of yous on that, for sure!!!

I may have to do my "go-away-bad-thingies-bunniehugger-binkie-dance". Not a pretty sight, mind you.

~Jim

Pretty site or not..get on it Jim..I think we need the help!

Sorry to hear about the lil one...I hope the steroids help! Sending good vibes your way!

He seems like his normal old self, trying to getinto everything....he isnt very lethargic, like he is wide awake, anddoesnt seem to be in pain, but I think rabbits hide their pain verywell. I just dont know if I have the heart to say "yes you can put himto sleep"

ayglnu13 wrote:
He seems like his normal old self, trying to get intoeverything....he isnt very lethargic, like he is wide awake, and doesntseem to be in pain, but I think rabbits hide their pain very well. Ijust dont know if I have the heart to say "yes you can put him tosleep"
I know it's an extrememly hard decision...sort of like, "Who are we todicide when this poor, little animal goes?" I've been there, but youmust think of the amount of pain he's in, you're right, they hide painwell, and what his future looks like.

Ellie

{{{Amy}}}

I'm so sorry for you to be going through this, especially after loosingprecious Brogan. I hope Dash pulls through this.

It is a tough decision to have to make about putting an animal down -but that is (unfortunately) one of our responsiblities as animalcaretakers to look at their quality or life not justquantity.

:rainbow:

I understand why you're reluctant, Amy. Knowthat you don't have to make any decisions today. You'll get a sense ofwhat is what over the weekend. For now, just put it in the back of yourmind, keep him as comfortable as possible, and love him to pieces.

Dance, JimD, Dance! :bunnydance:

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Iunderstand why you're reluctant, Amy. Know that you don't have to makeany decisions today. You'll get a sense of what is what over theweekend. For now, just put it in the back of your mind, keep him ascomfortable as possible, and love him to pieces.

Dance, JimD, Dance! :bunnydance:

-Carolyn
Exactly what I was thinking!!! I was facedwith this decision with Corky about 3 weeks ago, doc said he wanted togive the new antibiotics 24 hours before we made any decisions....thatsthe best thing I did...he made a HUGE turn around in that amount oftime. Hoping your lil one will over this weekend!

I am so scared though, I have never had to end ababies life. It just seems so unfair to me. For the baby and me. He isjust so full of life, and I would hate to take that away:(

Latest posts

Back