Hazel's Real Life

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again, guys! ^_^

hartleybun wrote:
:inlove:mine do the 'rexy puffball' pose! ive only gotten one tummy pic of roxy - it's somewhere in the rex pic thread - she's in full alluring dive mode.
I think I saw that one-- she totally looks like a classic hollywood starlet in it!Roxy is SO beautiful. Is her coloring otter?

-----------------------------> Coming up next: Hazel vs music!

ANECDOTES ABOUTHAZEL AND ME ~1: MUSIC

No one knows this (although my fiance has his suspicions) and I will deny it if it leaves this forum, but I sing to Hazel all the time. Heabsolutely loves it. I have a repertoire of songsI go through (like the first couple verses ofof the standard,'Me and Bobby McGee', which of course is altered to 'Me and Hazel McGee'), but Hazel's favorite song by far is Regina Spektor's 'Fidelity'. The first time I watched the video on the computerHazel wasin my arms, and when the songbegan playing Hazel snuggled into me and started chattering like crazy. My singing voice is nothing special, but it is very soft and feminine, and I have noticed Hazel seems to love female singers whose voices have a similar tone. The song 'Fidelity' - albeit very soft - also has a strong annunciation of 'harder' consonants, whichmimics a sort of 'clicking' sound that I think could remind a rabbit of chattering. Just a theory.

My voice is nothing compared to the *awesome* Regina Spektor (even though Hazel, of course, prefers it ;p), but here is the song for those of you who are interested. It is a breathtaking song all around, I think. HAZEL LOVES:
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/SGTDRztaCCw[/flash]

There is also music Hazel DOES NOT like. Like the great old novelty band, Spike Jones, who was known for performing with noisy horns, kazoos, washboards, andall sortsof jovial screaming and banging-- arabbit's nightmare! I'm sure all rabbits hate Spike Jones, ha ha.Hazel also doesn't like Joan Baez. Her amazing voice is very feminine but also - particularly in her younger years -quite high and shrill. The first time Hazel heardBaez was when he was sitting with me in the living room while I watched the Bob Dylan mega-documentary 'No Direction Home' (stellar doc btw, if you're into Dylan). The documentaryplayed aJoan Baez clip and as soon as she began singing, Hazel's eyes got HUGE and heRAN and hid under the dining room table, where he started stomping his back foot and squeak-grunting!Poor bun :(

Gorgeous, but not your bunny's music -Joan Baez. Proceed with caution if there's a bunny nearby!HAZELRUNS FROM:
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/7eCNLY7ezJo [/flash]

Myfavorite singer/band is Amanda Palmer / The Dresden Dolls, and Hazel is pretty much indifferent to them. They aren't his fave but they don't bug him at all, which islucky since I play them constantly ;p

Okay... yeah... am able to understand why poor little Hazel would run.... The song hurt my ears also. I had to turn the volume on my laptop down and put the song on pause right quick!! LOL

Hazel is one smart little man!!! ;)

myheart

RosemaryVanDeuren wrote:
I think I saw that one-- she totally looks like a classic hollywood starlet in it!Roxy is SO beautiful. Is her coloring otter?

lol- that was roxy - tho the background looks like it's seen a few wild parties! the bunnery looks immaculate for about 10 mins then she starts redecorating....

she is a black otter - her husbun is too which makes for some fun telling them apart:p

neither of them are music fans tho':(

Janet-- Ha ha! ;) I am a big Joan Baez fan, but it is easy to see (hear?) why bunnies would not be!

Donna-- Hee hee-- bunnies always have their own ideas for decorating their domain ;) That's so cute that Roxy and her husbun are both otter rexes. Matching bunnies!
Joan Baez is great (regardless of what Hazel thinks, ;p)! Love her music, and also she is just such a neat person. That's so cool that you were named after 'Donna Donna'! My older sister was actually named after the Bob Dylan song 'Visions Of Johanna'.

Back before I wrote Basajaun, I actually used to doabit offreelance illustration, sculpture and painting for magazines, booksand galleries. Even though writing takes up most of my time now, I still like to sketch and do art now and then. This past April I drew a 'bunny-a-day' for my public blog, which was a fun project and a nice little aside to Basajaun, keeping in with the rabbit theme and all ;) There were 31 bunny drawings altogether, and here is a selection of them:

bunaday30-jackrabbit.jpg

Jackrabbit

bunaday29-givingtree.jpg

Giving Tree bunny

bunaday24-popeye.jpg

Popeye the Sailor Bun

bunaday22-katamari.jpg

Katamari Bun-acy (for those of you who know the Katamari video games!)

bunaday16-winehouse.jpg

Bunny Winehouse ;)

bunaday15-robot.jpg

Lost In Space Robot bunny

bunaday14-divine.jpg

Divine Pink Flamingos bunny (for those of you who know the film, I called this one 'An excercise inbun taste' ;))

bunaday10-claud.jpg

I, Claudius (er, I, Bunnius!)

bunaday9-beach.jpg

Beach bunny ;p

bunaday31-hazel.jpg

And of course, a 'realistic' portrait of Hazel :hearts:

If anyone would like to see all 31, you can find them here on my public blog:
http://rvandeuren.blogspot.com/search/label/bunny-a-day

Fancy77 wrote:
all I have to say is WOW u have talent!!!!
Aw, thank you Denise!! You are very kind. A lot of the artists I knowhave a more 'serious' craft,so I'm glad someone enjoys my silly bunny pictures! :bunnydance:

those drawings are great! i also think the bob dylan song is a tad more cheerful than the one i was named after!i cant find one happy origin to the thing!

Thanks Dave & Donna! :)

Donna-- Yes, 'Donna Donna' is a melancholy song. Very pretty, though sad! I was named after my grandmother, but there is a Dylan song called 'Lily, Rosemary and the Jack Of Hearts', and Rosemary doesn't fare too well in that one either! ;p

Ooooo.... I love the Beach Bunny and the Giving Tree Bunny!! All of your drawings are neat, but those are my faves! :D

**goes off to check out the link**

myheart

Edit to add.... and I like Sock Bunny, Bunzilla, Bun Kliban, Robert Crumb bunny (reminds me of someone???), and Usagi Yojimbo!!! All way too cool for words! Thanks so much for sharing with us! :D

Thank you so much Janet! I had a blast drawing all the different bunnies, and it was fun picking out people and characters for 'bunny interpretation'. For the new year I am planning to start the bunny drawing up again, and do a bunny-a-week (since the daily ones unfortunately took too much time away from writing).

Thanks for checking them all out! XD

Hey all! The holidays have been fun but busy, so I have some lovely Xmas pics of Hazel to post when thingscalm down a bit. In the meantime:

November and December I was working my little tuccus off building a new website to compliment my novel Basajaun, called 'Basajaun's Warren'.

bas-war-bunspace.jpg

bw-thumb-sable.jpg
bw-thumb-usagi.jpg
bw-thumb-linus.jpg
bw-thumb-snuffles.jpg
bw-thumb-coney.jpg
bw-thumb-houdini-fuzzy.jpg

BASAJAUN'S WARREN

It's an online photo gallery and monthly contest for companion rabbit owners that benefits my local rabbit rescue, the 'Great Lakes Rabbit Sanctuary'. It's free to enter, and all entrants get their rabbit(s) photo(s) on the site, as part of the 'warren' ;) Youcancreate a warren name for yout rabbit and some other fun stuff, andevery month one winning rabbit willbe chosen toreceive the prize:the highlighted photo spot as 'Basajaun's Head Footman' anda $25 donation made by Basajaun's Warren to the Great Lakes Rabbit Sanctuary in the winning rabbit's name. And forthe winning rabbit's owner-- one of the stuffed Basajaun mini rabbit pillows I hand sew for book fairs and for the web:)

I am really excited about this project. It's been a blast for me so far building the site and seeing the rabbit pics I've received (bunny heaven!!!), and I am hoping it will help raise awareness for the treatment of companion rabbits as well asthe $25 monthly donation that will be made to support the Great Lakes Rabbit Rescue. I'll be running the site and contest for all of 2010, and I'm hoping to get pics of as many rabbits as possible to fill up the 'warren'! So if you like, please take a moment to check out the site and send in a photo of each of your rabbits if it sounds like something you'd like to support! There's details onthe site, and a picture of Hazel too-- who of course gets the title spot of Basajaun! ;D
http://www.rosemaryvandeuren.com/basajaunswarren.htm

Thanks for reading!

Latest posts

Back