Hand raising 4 ( used to be 5 RIP ) baby bunnies !

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you feeding them? How much? Are their bellies full? Do you know why they have been dying?

What are you feeding them? How much? Are their bellies full? Do you know why they have been dying?
They are mainly dying due to heating issues i belive , they are being fed milk replacer .
Around 2-4 ml , with a pipette instead of a syringe.

What is the temperature?
mybunny.org says: "If the room temperature is between 68-72 degrees you will not need to provide extra heat, but if it’s cooler than that you will need to provide extra warmth. Use a heating pad set on low and slip it under one half only of the box. We do it this way so that the babies can move to a cooler area if it gets too warm".
If they are sucking on you, that means they are probably hungry. Newborn rabbits (up to 1 week) should be getting 4-5 ml per day. I would feed them until their bellies are full (see picture).

Attachments

• 1586899873294.png
    1586899873294.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1586899884824.png
    1586899884824.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 11
What is the temperature?
mybunny.org says: "If the room temperature is between 68-72 degrees you will not need to provide extra heat, but if it’s cooler than that you will need to provide extra warmth. Use a heating pad set on low and slip it under one half only of the box. We do it this way so that the babies can move to a cooler area if it gets too warm".
If they are sucking on you, that means they are probably hungry. Newborn rabbits (up to 1 week) should be getting 4-5 ml per day. I would feed them until their bellies are full (see picture).
Its a little cooler because i have my room pretty cold , the mother is in this room though .
I don't have a heating pad , though .

Its a little cooler because i have my room pretty cold , the mother is in this room though .
I don't have a heating pad , though .
Since it is chilly I would put a heating pad on one side of the nest, and on the other side have nothing so they can move over there if they need to cool off. Here is a DIY heating pad: How to Make Rice Heating Pads {Aromatherapy Rice Bags}. Make sure you wrap it in a towel so it doesn't burn them.

Jasminebunny, I would recommend mixing up some apple banana flavored Critical Care (pet supply store or vet should have it or you can order on line, but you need to get it fast. Add to the CC a little bit of banana baby food (stage 1) or some mashed banana (not too much). Give that to the mom and it may get her to stay in one place to eat. That would allow the babies to nurse. If that still doesn't work, put all of them in a very small pen so mom can't get away. Once they get older and tiny teeth make nursing miserable, the babies will want to try out the Critical Care. That will help with weaning, which their mom will appreciate. I've had two litters born from rescued rabbits (in one case the shelter told me she was a he and as soon as I got her home, away from barking dogs in the shelter's kennel, she began pulling out her fur I gave her a big box on its side and she began building a nest. Three days later the babies were born. I was lucky -- both of the mom bunnies nursed their babies. In the first litter there was a tiny runt who got pushed aside by the others (total of six). I hand fed him until he gained enough weight and strength to hold his own with his siblings. The red feet could be urine scald, especially since you mentioned that mom's fur that she pulled out was wet. You may want a vet to take a look at the whole family. Could be the mom has an underlying medical problem that could affect her ability and willingness to nurse her babies. If you don't have any Critical Care at home, the vet can supply it. Is mom bunny drinking water? If she's dehydrated, there won't be much milk produced, if any.

I'm not sure , how much she is drinking .
I can't really get to any vets , or shops .

Bun and babies are in a small area , but she isn't feeding them .
I will try to get some cc whenever i can.

I will try that tomorrow though , i also have another doe who is about have her litter .

1 died , but the other two are okay .

So.. today my bunnie had 5 bunnies while she was running around , and got behind our washing machine and decided to have them there ..
Couldn't get to them , so she couldn't feed them.. i think , so we got them out and put them with her but she wouldn't feed them still .
Would just lay next to them , but they were really hungry , so we had to feed them by hand so they didn't die because they hadn't eaten for ages .
They were very wrinkled and their stomachs were not full , so we hand fed half evaporated milk , half regular milk .
I mananged to get atleast 1-2 ml of the milk into them , and stimulated their gut .
Sadly one passed away , , poor buns heart stopped :(

Please can someone give me some tips!
My rabbits had babies one day apart. Shadow had hers a week ago and nugget had hers the day after shadow. Nuggets babies although a day younger are much bigger im worried about shadows babies one is super small and I keep finding him out the nest 2 others also are small. I dont want to intervene because I've been told its super hard to raise a baby rabbit.

I'm guessing they will need hand rearing which is hard. I think you will need to get some formula from the vets and advice. I'm possibly faced with the same problem. Shadows babies don't seem to be doing as well as nuggets.

I'm guessing they will need hand rearing which is hard. I think you will need to get some formula from the vets and advice. I'm possibly faced with the same problem. Shadows babies don't seem to be doing as well as nuggets.
I have some formula , and i'm going to try to get moma to feed them too .

The 2 are doing okay , they are 4 days old today , my dad is helping since he's handraised before .
I have another pregnant ( possibly pregnant , and one which we think is nesting) doe ,

Latest posts

Back