Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyJayneHarlow

Reaction score
Hey,
Does anyone have any tips for grooming your bunnies, everytime I groom my rabbit, he always lunges at me and growls then runs away,
He doesn’t let me groom his stomach either.
Any tips would be helpful

You can try wrapping the rabbit in a blanket, (Bunny burrito!) That's all I've heard. But I'm not an expert so maybe that won't work for you.

I would try introducing the brush/comb to him slowly. He might now like it at first, but once he knows it won't hurt him then he should exept it. Also, I wouldn't try grooming is tummy first. Start with his back while he's on the ground. Hope this helps!

- Cluckin'Bunny

You can put a towel over his head, if you wrap him in the towel, you won’t be able to reach his body to groom it. You can also use a rubber grooming hand rather than a comb or brush, so that it’s like you are stroking him. I’ve never had to brush my rabbits stomach before.

What did you do?because I’m struggling with the same thing. She’s terrified of the brush, lint roller, or anything that mimics the brush. I tried the gloves, she was scared of it too. I tried putting her on a higher surface and she was about to jump, I tried covering her face and the bunny burrito, nothing worked. Now she’s starting to get matted fur on her chest, I tried to cut it but I couldn’t, and now she hates every one and no one’s allowed to touch her

When Diva was little, i used to put pellets on the floor and then brush her while she was eating, this was the only way that she would let me.
For stomach i used to give her treat but make her reach for it, so she would stand up on her hind legs. And then quickly brush her stomach 😁 now when she is all grown up and clever, she realised that she can just grab her treat and run away😁

When Diva was little, i used to put pellets on the floor and then brush her while she was eating, this was the only way that she would let me.
For stomach i used to give her treat but make her reach for it, so she would stand up on her hind legs. And then quickly brush her stomach 😁 now when she is all grown up and clever, she realised that she can just grab her treat and run away😁
Haru looovvveeesss lettuce, I tried this before but with lettuce instead of pellets and she hated me! She refused to eat the lettuce and kept running away. The other method works but it’s hard because I don’t have much time, i do it with orange, if it was a big piece she’s would take it and run, so i cut it in tiny pieces, and she would bite my nails, i get scared and let go of it😭 because she bites my hand when it smells like fruits or veggies

I've never been obsessive about grooming my rabbits. They do a pretty darn good job on their own. During a heavy shed, I'll use my hand to pet them and get a lot of the loose fur that way.

If you really need to use a grooming comb or brush, I'd suggest starting with baby steps. Give her a treat and give her one swipe of the comb. That's it. OR, while you are petting her, try one swipe with the comb in the middle of pettings. Over time you can gradually get them used to the brush or comb.

Remember, whether it's brushing or nail-clipping, it doesn't have to be done all at one sitting. One paw of nails can be clipped on one day, and another paw done a couple days later.

Try to make it a pleasant experience. That's why using a hand is often easier.

I comb my trio while they eat their twice/daily pellet allotment. 2 of them are okay with it as long as I comb them at least once/week (more often is better tolerated). The last bunny is my most skittish one and she hates the comb or to be touched much in general. For her, I've taken to giving a few treats (bits of strawberry or raisins) while combing and I don't continue combing as long as I do the other two. Any combing is better than none.

Back