GRAPHIC PHOTOS: my baby has got an absess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bon, that's such a kind thing of you to do!

Amy, I'm thinking of you guys today, I really hope Dexter will be ok... I'm sure he will be.. I'm gonna be sat here all afternoon waiting for news...:hug:

Is he getting pain meds sent home with him?

xx

not spoke to the vet yet but spoke2 receptionist and we can pick him up now!!!!! Yet I'm so happy she said he is doing fine. I'm not sure about pain meds yet as could only speak to receptionist so will speak to her when go get him. I will make sure they give me some pain meds though. Yey going to get him! Nearly there! I'm typing this on my ifone hehe

mezeta wrote:
not spoke to the vet yet but spoke2 receptionist and we can pick him up now!!!!! Yet I'm so happy she said he is doing fine. I'm not sure about pain meds yet as could only speak to receptionist so will speak to her when go get him. I will make sure they give me some pain meds though. Yey going to get him! Nearly there! I'm typing this on my ifone hehe
:pinkelepht::bunnydance::bunnydance::pinkelepht:

That's great news! I'm so glad he's ok. Please let us know how he is when you get him home! xx

HE IS HOME!!!!!

It looks sore poor guy. We didnt get to speak to the vet as she was in surgery so we spoke to the nurse and she said we will have to keep an eye on him as it may grow back around the back of his eye!!!!!! If that happens it may be possible they will have to remove the eye! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm trying not to worry about that too much at the moment and just take each day as it comes because it might not have to happen so no point stressing to much about it at the moment. We have got to got back in a few days, Friday morning (again just before I have to go to another job interview so double stress).

He seems ok though, He's eaten Cauliflower, Grapes, and some Kale and has pooed loads (he seems to have forgot where his litter tray is at the moment think he cant be bothered to go and sit in it bless him)

Not seen him have any water yet so will keep an eye on that I have put some probiotics in the water so think will put another bottle at the side without in just incase he's being fussy about there being stuff in it. I've divided the cage down th middle to keep him seperate from Jess and he keeps standing on his back legs trying to get close to her, must be a good sign if he's getting on his back legs.

Going to post some pictures in a min but I have to put them on Facebook first in order to put them on here (I cant seem to get it to work any other way)

Amy he's looking good! I'm so sorry I didn't get chance to reply to this last night.. It's a great sign that he's eating etc so soon - what a little fighter! How's he doing today? Is he still on the antibiotics?

You're doing such a great job taking such good care of him! :hug:

Has he gotten to see Jess again yet? They just look so similar together, it's so cute!

xx

Hi sorry I havent been able to reply to your messages, I keep having problems getting on the internet.

The nurse saidhe wouldnt need pain meds becasue what he has had will last him until Friday?!? I asked if I could have some any way just incase and she said no?!? I wouldnt have thought they would last til Friday but then I'm no expert. She said call in if I need any which I thought was a bit stupid, he's still eating and hopping around though today so I guess he cant be in too much pain as he is up to mischief as usual. I asked if there was anything else I needed to be giving him she sad no. I do have some Baytril from last time he was ill its in date, would it be ok to give him some of that or is it a bad idea?

He goes in tomorrow so the vet can see how he is doing. Arrr thanks Jen for saying you think I'm doing a good job in looking after him, I'm fretting and worried about the fact the vet said she suspects the abcess may extend behind his eye so may have to remove at a later date. Poor guy that sounds awful I dont want him to have to go through that if possible, If she says it needs doing I will get a second opinion. Is there any meds I can get that might help?

No Jess hasnt been allowed near Dexter, I could see they missed each other and kept trying to sniff each other through the bars but when I did try putting them together this morning Jess grunted at him and chased him!!!! I've had that before though when he has been to the vets and she hasnt whenever that happens I take them in the car together and they are fine together again, not wanted to do that just yet though as dont want to cause stress for him, he will have to go in the car tomorrow though to get to the vets so will take Jess in a seperate carrier and see if the vet thinks I'm ok to introduce them again, if so I will put them together for the car ride back.

I hope the vet can give us some positive news tomorrow

mezeta wrote:
He goes in tomorrow so the vet can see how he is doing. Arrr thanks Jen for saying you think I'm doing a good job in looking after him, I'm fretting and worried about the fact the vet said she suspects the abcess may extend behind his eye so may have to remove at a later date. Poor guy that sounds awful I dont want him to have to go through that if possible, If she says it needs doing I will get a second opinion. Is there any meds I can get that might help?
No probs hun, I say it cos I mean it! :)

I don't know if someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to tell you, but would x-rays show if the abscess does extend behind his eye or anywhere else? If so, it might be worth mentioning it to the vet and trying to push for it. I always use the phrase 'even if it comes back clear, I'd rather be safe than sorry and have the load off my mind' or something like that lol... That way they find it hard to say no even if they don't reccommend it... Hopefully someone else can say if an x-ray might help?? If it does, it would surely be better to know now rather than further down the line...

:hugs: hang in there Amy, you're doing a great job! Good luck with the vets tomorrow, and with your job interview as well! Double stress! :shock: :hug:

I will throw away the old baytril then. No he isnt on any antibiotics at the moment she said that was because the opening is stuffed full with all these antibiotic drugs, should I ask her tomorrow for some more antibiotics?

Good idea Jen about the X-ray, I dont know why the hell I didnt think of that, my mind is just all over the place at the moment, anything else any I should be asking or getting tomorrow?

Oh wow, Im just seeing this. Your poor little guy! Youre such a good mommy and youre doing such a good job with him.

Ive dealt with two abscesses now- one with Max and one with Basil. If you have a second, read through some of our Library stuff on Abscesses and what I went through. Theres lots of good info there.

Im a little worried that this was lanced - did they just drain it? Every time Ive dealt with an abscess the vet has gone in surgically and removed all the pus completely. Then, the bunny has been put on antibiotics for at least 10 days, as well as using a flush on the area and pain meds bc man that would hurt!

Did they say they were able to get all the pus out?

He definitely should get some Metacam for pain- that thing has to hurt. Also, next time youre there ask an external antibiotic like silvadine (silver sulfadiazine) if you cant get PenG from this vet. Hopefully this will heal up but chances are it could come right back if hes not on antibiotics.

Try not to worry too much right now. As long as hes acting fine and eating/pooping normally he should be ok. I know abscesses are scary. Max lived with an abscess in his jaw for over a year if that makes you feel better.

I also dealt with many vets who were not up to date on treating abscesses. I found that the best thing was to print out info/artices published by other vets and show it to them. Second opinions are always helpful as well. If this abscess comes back it might be good to think about trying another vet.

Prayers for your boy and hugs for you.

Haley

It sounds like the vet implanted antibiotic beads, so that may be a good thing.

I'm not clear on whether they took xrays? (And what was said about Bon's kind offer re: sending Gizmo's antibiotics?)

I know itmay take a few different views (they can do as many as six views on a dental exam) to be conclusive.

Good luck to you and Dexter.

sas :pray:

hi I'm really struggling getting online but will be sorted at the weekend just to let you know dexter is doing great and will be going for a check up Saturday will keep you posted

Wow he's looking good! I agree with Pipp, it sounds like he put antibiotic beads in there. We've had success with these!

Good luck with him and keep us updated.

Hey Amy! I was just thinking earlier to ask you how the little guy was doing- I'm SO glad to hear he's doing so well! Go Dexter!! :bunnydance:

Yay.... :D

Latest posts

Back