GRAPHIC PHOTOS: my baby has got an absess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezeta

Reaction score
hi guys, I've just had to take my boy dexter to the vets as I noticed he has all of a sudden got a huge lump above his eye. I can't beleive how quick it's came up. I rushed him to a vet not our normal vet because ours was closed and he said he thinks he has got an absess and that we are going to have to give him injections to try and shrink it I'm sorry I didn't ask what it was will find out. He said we have to go in tomorrow and he will see if we can do the injections ourself he's gave us one to practice holding etc and the plan is to shrink it and cut it out. I'm terrified he had an abcess when we got him from the RSPCA and we took him to our vets and the vet completly removed it that was 6 months ago and he's been fine since he seems his happy self now it's just this **** abcess

I just don't know what to do I'm so upset Im so worried it wont work

:hug:

It will be ok. I know how scary it is, I had an abscess show up suddenly on a rabbit I was fostering/transporting once. It's amazing how quickly they grow. But they can be treated and most rabbits do just fine. What kind of injections does your vet want to do? Injectible antibiotics are stronger than oral drugs so they are better, although you could ask the vet about giving an oral drug like Zithromax to complement the injections.

If the injections work, it's best to just treat the abscess with meds until it's gone and not to go in surgically.

There are others here with more experience, especially Ra7751. I'm sure he can give you a lot more info. For now, check out the info on abscesses in our Library.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10

Hi,

No need to panic yet. Abscesses can be dealt with successfully if you fully understand what is happening. First, we need to confirm that it is indeed a true abscess. Sometimes things like warbles can be mistaken for an abscess...and a warble can become abscessed too. Surgery on abscesses seems to be mostly ineffective as well as expensive and painful. I have treated quitea few of these nasties without surgical intervention. The key to treating an abscess is to attack the core which is difficult to do since the pus in the capsule is so thick. The truecore of the abscess contains mainly anaerobic bacteria. That type of bacteria does not need oxygen to survive. Most of the drugs commonly used byvet will not address this issue. I have had success using a combination ofa specific version of penicillin (which it seems is not available in the UK) as well as Zithromax. I am planning on using a test using Convenia (a cephalosporin chemically similar to pencillin) in conjunction with Zithromax. Support therapies including hydration and pain management are also huge parts of the treatment. But don't panic yet. Get the facts and then draw up an effective plan of action....and attack.

Randy

thank you so much you've both made me feel a little happier. I just can't beleive it's happening again I feel so bad for him.

The injection the vet gave him said it isn't actually availiable in the uk yet so I wonder if it is the same thing. I'm taking him in again tomorrow first thing so will find out and let you know and see what you think I should do.

Thank you again for all your helpful advice it is apreciated so much!

He just hoped past me and it seems so big like he has got half a golf ball on his head. I feel so bad that I didn't notice it sooner but I swear there was. No lump there yesterday I just can't beleive it. I've treated him to banana kale and pellets to cheer him up a little although I think he is as happy as normal and it's mummy that needs cheering up hehe

Oh Amy, I'm so sorry that Dexter isn't well! Not my Dexter!

You've got the best advice available here from Randy and co. I know how worrying abscesses are, even when you think they will be 'ok', so to speak... They just seem to be there, glaring you in the face... :?

I hope it all goes ok at the vets, I'll be thinking of you guys. And you know you can PM me if you need to chat :hug:

Jen xx

If your vet is familar withPen Gor even bicillin it should have a dramatic effect on the abscess (which do tend to reoccur)
There is help out there for your bun........

thanks guys, I will ask tomorrow about the Penn g and bicilin. I said tomorrow I mean today really. I've had an awful nights sleep, well I've not slept at all really I keep waking up worrying. Will let you know what the vet says, thanks again for your support xxx

Thanks Jade Icing and Thankyou everyone :hug2:

Well I'm back from the vets,

I mentionedthe antibiotics such as Penn G etc thatwasmentioned and he said this antibiotic is the same and does exactly the same, although when I asked him what it was, he said an antibiotic..Duh I knew that but I felt silly after so never asked the name because he said he would give us some more of this antibiotic to take with us to give him tommorow, well I was assuming it would say on the bottle...he never gave us a bottle just the syringe with the stuff ready in with the cap on so its ready to go.

We have to give himone more tommorow and no more over the weekend because he said he only does three at a time then he likes to see how he's getting on giving it a break over the weekend so we are in first thing Monday morning to see what he says.

I really dont want to put the poor guy through surgery again if at all possible a lot of the things mentioned on here arent availiable to us in the UK which is so annoying. The vet said that the antibiotic he is using will shrink it to the point where it may get rid off it but if not the idea is to shrink it down to the size of a small dried up pea and then remove it.

I just feel so bad for him and want to do everything I possibly can and I'm worried if I make the wrong decission on something such as should I stay with these vetsas they arestarting this treatmentandit isnt availiable in the UK yet and I know my vets wont have it, infact they didnt try to shrink it down at my vets last time he had one they just cut it out, I think I'm staying with them so it shrinks and see how feel from there. TheseVets seemnicebut I've never taken any animal to them before and I dont know anyone who has we only went there panicking and they were the only ones still open, and I know my vets got rid of it last time but then are these vets more advanced if they have this antibiotic aggggghhhhh Its so stressful being a bunny mummy at times, I just wish I knew what was best to do.

What does everyone think to what the vet said? I just dont know I have no idea what is the best thing to do, I'm just worried that I have never seen these vets before now, but then again our vet we always take Dexter and Jess to has left the practice now and has gone too far away so I would be having a vet I dont know if I go there as well.

Plus the new receptionist at my vets is awful she will start questioning as to why I took him there in the first place (if they were open longer I wouldnt have done!!)

First of all is the medication that he gave you to givean injection or is it oral?
It really is important to know what you are giving him .
Is there anyway you could call the office and get the receptionist to give you the name and dosage of the medication.? You could say that a friend's bunny was treated for an abscess and she wanted to know what the treatment for your rabbit is.

i don't know why he would want to stop it for over the weekend except he may not have used it a lot before and is a little concerned about side-effects.
Without knowing what the drug is there is not much we can help you with that now.

I also wonder whether your vets would be willing to talk to Randy who is not a vet but a wild-life rehabber who works with cutting edge vets in a rabbit rescue in North Carolina. Randy is always willing to do consults with vets as he has had a lot of very positive experiences successfully treating rabbits with abscesses.
there is a member of the former named Bon whose rabbit just had surgery for an abscess. i believe that Bon's bunny was getting penicillin G and possibly azithromycin .
You may want to pm her as she has spoken to randy also and i feel that she believes that she has received adequate care for her rabbit. She also lives in the UK and did not have access to bicillin.

is your rabbit eating, drinking and behaving normally?
Did the vet give you a probiotic to give your bun in addition to the antibiotic?

i would not panic over whether these are the right vets to go to yet. Most of us have to feel are way along as things occur.
what you need to do is have a back up plan..

stick with this vet for now but also try to get some leads on other vets that you can get to that may possibly meet dexter's need better. (if you need it in the future0

You have to be the manager of the situation. learn as much as you can about abscesses and during the learning process you will find that your knowledge will make you go one direction or another.
it takes time and is a lot of work but in the end dexter will benefit and you will become even more of a rabbit saavy owner. ;)

Thanks for your post, I just rang the receptionist she said they are giving him Keperex or at least tats what it sounded like but I tried googling it and I'm getting nothing, is there anything you know that sounds similar. I may have to ring her up and get the spelling (going to feel like a right wally :p)

Its being given via injection. Oh god I'm panicking now that its wrong to give him that and give it as an injection no the vet didnt give a probiotic, was he meant too? I feel totally useless with all this I just dont know what the vet is meant to be giving hm, if he is giving him anything he shouldnt be and I feel so stupid for not asking what the antibiotc he is giving him was called in the first place.

Yeah Dexter is eating and pooing as normal he seems like his usual self.

Thanks for that I will send a pm to Bon in a few mins.

angieluv wrote:
You may want to pm her as she has spoken to randy also and i feel that she believes that she has received adequate care for her rabbit. She also lives in the UK and did not have access to bicillin.

She!? She?!!?!

mezeta wrote:
Thanks for your post, I just rang the receptionist she said they are giving him Keperex or at least tats what it sounded like but I tried googling it and I'm getting nothing, is there anything you know that sounds similar. I may have to ring her up and get the spelling (going to feel like a right wally :p)
I'm not sure what this is. Anybody? Guesses?

Here's the Library info on Antibiotics if you haven't seen that yet.

Antibiotics

sas :clover:

angieluv wrote:
http://www.healthline.com/multumcontent/cephalexin?

this is a site for people but it still tells you something about the drug..it's strong enough..don't know for sure about it's use in abscesses but I hope Randy will

I would still go ahead with alternate treatment imo, one thing ive come across when researching my own problem with abscesses is antibiotics directly onto the abscess only go 2-3mm into them before being stopped from the sheer thickness of the puss.

Although some more research into use after draining via surgery would be useful

Thanks every one and thank you angielluv for finding out the name of the antibiotic and getting a link up, i'm going to have a look at that in a minuite,

I'm going to ring tomorrow to see why he wants to stop treatment over the weekend as well becasue the vet we saw the first night said he would give us a couple of syringes to take with us, where as the one today is on about stopping treatment over the weekend?!?

Will let you know what they say.

I'm worried sick at the moment. I just cant sleep thinking about him. I hate this I just want him to be ok. I really appreciate all your advice and support so much :hug:

I rang the vets this morning and questioned about his decision to stop the antibiotics over the weekend. He said the antibiotics are a short course by he said he is happy to give us some for over the weekend. He wants to re-acess on the Monday and he said if necessary he would want to surgically remove it and would be able to fit us in the Monday or Tuesday I mentioned the antibiotics Bon was given and he said he would be able to get them in but said he actually did that for another of his clients and it didn't work so they ended up surgically removing it and it had actually got slightly bigger in that time. So think I will use the antibiotic and go see him Monday to see what he thinks.

Right decision? Or wrong decision? What does everyone think? Ps the antibiotics that Bon had the vet said he wouldn't be able to get them in til monday. I'm currently ringing other vets In the area to see what they would do. Rang two so far and they have both said the same only using baytril as the antibiotic given orally so at moment will be sticking with these vets, I just want something to be done quickly I don't want to be having to pit him through surgery but at the same time i dont want to risk it getting bigger

I hate seeing the poor guy with this lump on his head :(

Latest posts

Back