GRAPHIC PHOTOS: my baby has got an absess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just got in went straight to dexter and it definatly hasn't got any smaller. How long if they are effective does it take for the antibiotics to work? Intact I'm convinced it may have even got bigger!!!!

I keep getting really upset I don't want to and can't lose him!

mezeta wrote:
I've just got in went straight to dexter and it definatly hasn't got any smaller. How long if they are effective does it take for the antibiotics to work? Intact I'm convinced it may have even got bigger!!!!

I keep getting really upset I don't want to and can't lose him!

As i suspected the antibiotic to shrink the abscess didnt work, injecting it directly into the abscess would have almost immediate effect within a few hours.

Can you get a picture or good description of where the abscess is located? If in a possition where it wont cause any damage to other organs ect long term antibiotic treatment could be effective, however in danger of causing other problems I would get him booked in immediately for surgery and antibiotic treatments sorted.

It sounds like he needs either strong injectable antibioics or a combination of drugs.
I will ask randy to look at this post again.

The problem that I have had withsome of randy's ideas is that either the drugs are not available or the treating doctor is resistant to changing his protocol.

Iwill ask randy to review this post.

turns out I'm just paranoid told phil I thought it had got bigger he said it hadn't but I insisted we rush him to the vets. The vet we saw was really nicevand said he definatly didn't think it had got bigger and said it's been 48 hours since starting and they may not work but he said it is stronger than the baytril, he can order in pen g but that won't come til mid next week!!! He said we are to carry on with the drugs and we will book him on for surgery next week, he said if it doesn't shrink he thinks we should lance it and really keep on top of it and clean it out he said he doesn't normally lance if he can help it but because of the circumstances as it is so close to the eye if it doesn't shrink he wouldn't like to remove it. He said he had a rabbit recently with an abcess in same place as dexters and they had to lance it and clean it out but it did get rid off it completly although it did take a month, but if it shrinks which I'm a bit doubtful about he will remove it entirely

I will try and post a pic tomorrow morning Bon, I don't want to disturb him because he is snuggled up with jess and looks quite content at the moment. I don't know if it will work though because my laptop is being fixed so I'm having to send messages via my ifone so pic might not be that great if can get it on via this as will have to take the pic with the ifone will have a go though. Meanwhile to try and describe it starts on the top of the head not quite in the middle it's going towards his right eye it's half the size of a golf ball maybe slightly smaller but it goes right down to his eye. Sorry I'm not that good at describing hope that makes sense will try and do photos tomorrow morning

I'm really struggling to get on the Internet at the moment as seen as I've got to use Internet on my phone but I just wanted to say thank you especially to maureen, randy and Bon I am really grateful for all your help and your kindness. Thank you!!! I have tried to put up a picture of dexter on here but it isn't letting me every time I do it says server down! I will keep trying but it may be Monday when I can get a pic up as I will get my laptop back then.

Thank you again

:bigtears:I cant beleive Gizmo has gone I've only just seen Bons post, I'm crying at the moment for Bon (huge hug Bon)and I'm just so scared to lose Dexter.

He is going to the vets tomorrow for a review. Keep you posted xx

:hug: Good luck at the vets tomorrow Amy! If you're still having difficulty putting up a pic and want to post one to get advice, if you want you can message it to me on Facebook or something and I'll post it for you?

How's little Dexter doing today?

Jen xx

Hi Jen.

Oh thanks that would be great if you could I have a few photos of it. He's fine thanks he seems his usual self he has had kale, carrots and some cauliflower today so he's very happy hehe. I've got to go to the vets on my own tomorrow becasue Phil will be at work I'm dreading them telling me something bad. I dont think they will though because we think it may have shrunk a bit. Fingers crossed. Will try and post pic to you via facebook thankyou!!!! xxx

Thanks everyone it means a lot to me that you are thinking of Dexter. Thank you.

Here's a pic. Its not the greatest becasue it was on my phone (then my batery died on me so couldnt take anymore, typical!!)

It's that awful big thing just above his eye!!! Its actually a bit smaller than it looks when you feel it but his fur seems to make it look bigger. But pretty much right up to his eye. But thankfully its not effecting him at the moment and as you can still he still loves his cabbage. I just really hope my little guy is going to be ok, I honestly dont know what I would do without him :(

Hope the vet thinks its shrunk a bit as well and its not false hope

Dexter is sooo cute! I agree, the lump doesn't look too bad in that pic, and I would say (although not an expert at all) that if it's that close to his eye and he's still eating great and being his usual self, it's a really good sign :)

Good luck for the vets today whenever your appointment is!
xxx

Hi, well the vet said it hasnt got any smaller if anything its got deeper :(

He is booked in for tomorrow to have it lanced, it is to close to his eye to have it cut out and also she said there are a lot of nerves there. It sounds like its going to bepainful to me. Poor boy. I feel a bit happier knowing he is boked in to get it sorted.

I've got to drop him off at 8:00, Ive got a job interview to go to straight after dropping him off so its going to be a really stressy day!

He is still eating well and it isnt bothering him so thats good, I've asked if I can take Jess in to keep him company before he goes for his surgery, I've been told thats ok and to take him in some fresh food for when he comes around to tempt him to eat, (I've got Kale, Spinich, Cabbage, Carrots and Bannana's) they are going to think I'm mad. I'm going to take him his cuddly blanket and a cuddly toy as well. Anything else you think I should take him? They are going to think I'm crazy taking all that arent they!!! Huh well I don't really care, I'm going to make sure he will be as comfortable as possible.

mezeta wrote:
Hi, well the vet said it hasnt got any smaller if anything its got deeper :(

He is booked in for tomorrow to have it lanced, it is to close to his eye to have it cut out and also she said there are a lot of nerves there. It sounds like its going to bepainful to me. Poor boy. I feel a bit happier knowing he is boked in to get it sorted.

I've got to drop him off at 8:00, Ive got a job interview to go to straight after dropping him off so its going to be a really stressy day!

He is still eating well and it isnt bothering him so thats good, I've asked if I can take Jess in to keep him company before he goes for his surgery, I've been told thats ok and to take him in some fresh food for when he comes around to tempt him to eat, (I've got Kale, Spinich, Cabbage, Carrots and Bannana's) they are going to think I'm mad. I'm going to take him his cuddly blanket and a cuddly toy as well. Anything else you think I should take him? They are going to think I'm crazy taking all that arent they!!! Huh well I don't really care, I'm going to make sure he will be as comfortable as possible.

Good that it has been booked! Im still a wreck because of gizmo but thought i would post here, be strong for your rabbit, even up untill the end i was strong for gizmo, and she was strong aswell, i think she held on as long as she did because of the strnegth we shared.

One thing I have learned is never take anything for granted, I did all i could for gizmo, but she was still loosing weight, if ANYTHING comes up with your bunny get it checked out, invest in some quality scales and ask about critical care, after been shown the link in my other thread i relaise it is something I used before, however had forgotten about it. I almost feel as if I had managed to get some of that when we started treatment Gizmo's outcome may have been different.

Good luck with your bun.

Mezeta, i know you may be considering using Zithromax, and I have a pot here which i made up on sunday for gizmo, however once mixed it has a very short shelf lifespan so I can't keep it around for when it may next be needed, so ill offer it here for you if you want for free, ill send it next day delivery tomrow if you want it and your vet agrees on using zithromax as part of your bunnys recovery regeime.

hi Bon you are so kind thank you. I would give you money for it though and the postage. I meant to ask the vet this morning when I dropped him off of it would be ok but my mind was all over the place and I didn't think until I had already left I will ask when we fetch him. Thank you!!!

I've got to ring at 2 to see when I can get him although I'm going to ring earlier to see how he is doing. He should have had it done by now or still having it done as he was going to be the first to be done at 9:30 I felt awful leaving him. He tried to get back in the bag and she said not to leave jess as she would be there all day and he would be going in first I bet he thinks I've abondoned him and not coming back.

Will let you know how he is doing later

Latest posts

Back