Gas? HELP PLEASE

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun71

Reaction score
Hello,

You probably know about my rabbit named BunBun. He is a white, lop mix. I adopted him from my local shelter about 5 months ago.

Anyway, I have a problem. I suppose the person you took care of him last night (I was away) didn't give him hay. This morning, when I gave him breakfast, he refused it and was sitting in a hunched position. He won't even touch his favorite snack which is a carrot! 😰 He is also cold to the touch, and I'm not sure if that is part of it. Do you think he has GAS or GI????

PLEASE help me!😭

- BunBun71

( MORE INFO: I put a warm water bottle next to him and he actually ate a few dandelion weeds! Is this good?)

It does sound like gas, but don't stress yourself out. Give him a dose of Infant Gas drops. He can have 1-2ml every hour for 3 hours, and then 1-2 ml every 3-8 hours or as needed. If you don't see any improvement after the first 2 doses I suggest taking him to the vet. I would also give him tummy massages (see video). When Theo had gas I would give him a tummy massage with a heat pack up against his tummy and it worked well.

If you don't have gas drops you can give him peppermint, camomile, or fennel tea. NO HONEY.
Keep him warm, and try getting him to eat. Offer him lots of fresh veggies soaked in water to get him hydrated. Make sure he is drinking lots of water too.

Please don't let these people take care of him again.

Where can I get Infant Gas drops? Thank you for the quick reply and please, please, stay online!

You can get gas drops from Walmart, Target, or a pharmacy. They are normally really cheap, like $3. Please read back over my first post. I added more information. I hadn't meant to press post yet, but my laptop glitched.
Your welcome, I will be here if you need any more help :)

Okay, so I guess I'm heading to Walmart very soon. Do you think not giving him hay caused this?

Him not having hay could have caused this, but Gi-Stasis can be caused by lots of things. I would check his teeth (make sure he isn't drooling) because they could be causing this. It could also be that the person taking care of him gave him fruit without you knowing and it has upset his stomach. Has his environment changed, the temperature changed, has he been stressed? Maybe he got depressed when you left and since he was lonely it stressed him out.

I meant to say this already, but please don't offer him fruit. The sugar will do more harm than good. Instead give him veggies, such as lettuce, cilantro, parsley, (no cabbage, kale, broccoli). I have found that parsley helps with gas so maybe get some when you go to Walmart. Refresh his hay to make it more appealing, and maybe poke him with some of it to make him mad. If he gets mad he will bite at the hay and once he tastes it, he will most likely eat it too.

He is currently an outdoor rabbit (but he is spoiled), but I am working on turning him into an indoor rabbit. I have a question: Would bringing him from the cool temp outside into my basement hurt him? I think I should warm him up a little because you said (and other things I've read) to keep him warm?

(I'm going in the car so I'm going to log out and switch to my iPhone so hold on!)

He is currently an outdoor rabbit (but he is spoiled), but I am working on turning him into an indoor rabbit. I have a question: Would bringing him from the cool temp outside into my basement hurt him? I think I should warm him up a little because you said (and other things I've read) to keep him warm?
I wouldn't move him inside yet. The temperature change and room change will probably stress him out.
I would get some towels and throw them into the dryer to get them warm.

Now that you mention it, it might be lack of exercise. Gah.

Latest posts

Back