For peppa and georgie and anyone else who likes the big buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey i didnt take the reserve off as such. She called me and asked me to think about whether i could come and visit him as there was no way i could have a home visit unless i had built a rapor with him.
I explained it would be hard and she said i had to call her back and tell her what i was going to do. I then called her back and said i really wanted him still but would find it very hard to go all that way twice and she said i should look else where for a rabbit. I asked if there was any other option at all and she said there was no other way x
She was very definate about it and made it clear that she did not think it was plausable. So i didnt ask her to remove the reserve at all i did as she asked me and rang her back with my thoughts, she made the decision that it wasnt going to happen. To be honest she also stated that she would have to now re think the advertising of the rabbits as it doesnt state anywhere that they will refuse to do a house visit unless you have met a particular animal.
You seeem really pissed with me but i dont know what i have done.
I did everything asked of me and i had to chase the home visit as it was and then she decided to tell me that actually no i am not allowed one. I was given no other option x
I asked if i could have the home visit then come up and spend time with him and if they were satisfied bring him home and she said no as the home visit was not allowed untill i had met him. Therefore i would need to visit there twice and she said it would be hard with the kids as they would want to take him home and we agreed on that.
She then told me to look at the oxford branch for rabbits, although to be honest i am not that keen as they havent exactly been that helpful. They didnt ring me themselves and explain or talk to me or offer for me to visit them and see what else we could do or anything x
Sorry you have taken it this way i would be gratefull if you let me know where you see i have done wrong x

I've not given you any indication that I'm annoyed with you, that is just your interpretation from what I've said.

Basically, they asked something of you and that is not something you feel you can do, which you told my supervisor, which obviously means you can't have him, so the reserve has been lifted because you said you couldn't do it (i.e. as a direct result of you saying you couldn't get there, that's what I meant). Like I said, that's completely your choice and right because everyone has their limits and we also always knew the distance would be an issue.

Each RSPCA works differently unfortunately. If there was a universal way that they all worked then everything would be so much easier.

Oh ok i apologise for that assumption you just didnt reply yesterday and seemed really to the point etc today so felt like you were not pleased with me in some way.

You are right though it would be easier if they all sang from the same sheet so to speak lol.
It is a shame, i thought that it was fair for them to want me to see him etc, and would have gone with doing that after the home visit so that we could at least make it one trip if all was well, but think it was a bit picky of them to refuse.
Thanks anyway, i shall have to search out another dumbo from somewhere closer, or with different rules etc.
xx

I coudn't reply yesterday because I was out from really early in the morning until very late at night (I didn'tr post anywhere yesterday), I haven't been around much at all because I've been pretty ill (I haven't replied to any PMs or posts, haven't had any meaningful conversations with anyone-including Polly). I wasn't even going to respond to this but I did because I wanted to ensure you knew there was nothing I can do because I am only a volunteer. Genuinely, I didn't reply because of reasons outside of you.

At our RSPCA you only have to do one visit (i.e. meet the rabbit once) before being put in for the home visit, and actually, you could have done that after. Plus there are discussion of doing home visits even before they reserve a rabbit. This was all down to their branch. I am incredibly disappointed for Dumbo because I think you would have given him a great home. I'm also very angry (but not at you), I'm very frustrated (again, not at you), deeply concerned and also anxious too.

But, my hands are tied, there is absolutely nothing I can do. That pisses me off, but that's the way it is. I'm sorry for you guys and I'm sorry for Dumbo.

I do agree that they need to make it clear on the website. What's the point of having the animals up there if they can't actually be rehomed far and wide. Seems ridiculous to me.

They've passed up the opportuity of a good home only because they are ruled by inconsistent rules.

Arrr thanks for putting that i feel much better, i too feel overwhelmed with disappointment, dito not at you, i know you have gone far and beyond your required input.
It is very frustrating and must be more so for you as you are dealing with things like this regularly and working with things that obstruct your work.
On another note, i hope you start to feel better soon, nothing like being ill, especially with this horribly miserable weather.

I did consider seeing if your branch would still let me do the visit afterwards etc based on someone elses home visit as there do seem to be other people about who would provide home visits, but then on a rethink i thought that it would be contradictory to another branches advise and would be frowned upon if your branch were to ignore that.
Not really sure if that made any sense, but thought that maybe the coventry or warwick branch might have different views, but again that would sort of be politically wrong and not sure your supervisors would be keen on anything like that x
I even had ideas of a webcam meeting which obviously is totally ridiculous.
Thanks for replying especially if you not feeling at all well xx

Ok flashy are you there?
I couldnt stop thinking about dumbo so took it upon myself to ring the oxford branch and plead with them.
They already knew about me and said that the prob was that it was the chairman of the branches desicion etc. I explained that i feel like i desperately want to give dumbo a home and he is missing out because i cant get there before a house visit etc.
I explained that after a visit if allowed i would come with the family and spend time with him and make sure all was well before coming home again with him. She finally agreed that she would ring brian the chairman and get him to ring and talk to me. I said that i feel like i want to be able to plead my case to him.
I explained why it would be hard to come up twice, especially in the summer hols with the kids and even worse considering that my husband now has swine flu so i cant leave the house for a week.
So might come to nothing but i am going to plead with him when he rings and hope there is an alternative, it just seems to unfair, i thought that if he came to see me and see we are committed to take dumbo whatever happens, and fully aware of what is involved he might change his mind.
So any tips on how to plead greatly appreciated.
xx Please everyone send pleading vibes and keep fingers crossed we can talk him round xxxx

:) That's good. It;'s always worth a shot. I found out this morning he tried to call me to talk to me on Tuesday when I was out all day, so you can tell him he can contact me to talk to me today if he wishes. It probably will have toi be today because my GP has been sent a letter that basically asks him to assess whether or not I should be in hospital at the moment and I'm due to see him tomorrow so today is the only definite day I will be here (although hopefully I will be here and won't need to go to hospital).

The issue is now that potentially Dumbo could have been reserved by someone else, so even if he says he will come and see you, potentially it might be too late anyway.

When you talk to him explain you know the realisms of owning Dumbo (i.e. that he is a chewer, digger, sometimes nips), that you know how destructive house bunnies be can (i.e. with P&G stripping your walls, etc). Basically show how switched on you are and how you have not seen a cute rabbit on the web and decided you wanted him. Also explain how I gave you a good grilling and pushed you a lot for answers (because this is what I did-moreso than any home visit I normally do). Just basically make him see this is a careful and informed decision that you want Dumbo.

Ok will do, i think he may not ring until the weekend she said he is out till then. So prob wont be able to contact you then. Thanks for the advise, i will try this and see how it goes. If he is rehomed elsewhere that is fine, i will at least feel that he is not still sat awaiting a home because of it all if that makes sense. It is important that he is rehomed, and if it is not me that is fine as it is about him not me.
Oh gosh, i do hope you are ok and do not have to go into hospital, i do not want to pry at all so wont push for answers, but when you were saying how anxious you felt i was thinking maybe it is related to emotional things etc, if that is the case i can more than relate to this as suffer with depression and anxiety and have done for nearly 15 years now. If not then i have totally got the wrong end of things and hope that whatever it is is resolved.
Either way do not worry yourself about this or anything else as it is most important to concentrate on your own health and welbeing. x Please take very good care of yourself and i will let you know if there are any updates.
xx

I'll send you a PM with my mobile number so if he does ring you and I'm not about you can let me know how it goes and also pass on my mobile number. I obviously won't be able to promise to answer if I am in hospital but that would at least offer that option. Or else maybe you could take a number from him if he wants to speak to me and I'll call him when I'm able (you can give a basic explanation that I'm in hospital-if that's where I am, etc, that's fine).

*PMs you*

hiya sorry she called back and he wont speak to me they wont budge as she said she cant understand why anyone would want to adopt an animal they had not met.
I was saying that i dont mind what his personality is like i want to care for him and give him a home xx
she said they all think it is strange that i want him when i havent seen him and he might not fit my situation.
I went on to say we had discussed all those things and it was providing him with a home that was important and i was prepared for things he might do etc. I also said it didnt seem fair that they wouldnt do a home visit first and then let me meet him. I suppose they feel they cant guarantee that i wont change my mind, and i cant seem to convince them.
She said if anyone was willing to come from your branch to do a home visit that would be ok but they wouldnt be happy about it. Obviously no one would want to come all this way but the principle was that as it was ipswitch animal it would be up to them.
if anyone reading this feels my frustration please say as i need to vent. i am trying to think how i could get there to visit him but the principle is hard as i would want him regardless of what he was like x can i ask everyone is this standard rescue practise or has anyone rescued a pet without all this x x

A lot of specific rabbit rescues will rehome without meeting the bun. On RU you must have seen the Bunnyrun forum and the rescue forum too. This is just how this specific branch choose to operate. It's unfortunate, and narrow minded, but not much any of us can do unfortunately.

I hear your frustration and it is justified. It's a bit silly he won't even talk to you.

Thanks, that does make me feel better, i was beginning to get paranoid that it was me. grrrrr. We tried, in that case, i do so hope that someone else soon finds him. If i find a way, i will visit him, but with lee with swine flu and the kids started coughing and spluttering cant see it happening any time soon. I can see us getting it one by one and being quarantined for the summer :(
I did find myself thinking it odd that someone working in a rescue centre couldnt comprehend the need to rescue a pet and love it and look after it without having met it.

I can see they would need to question more and perhaps to a more detailed home visit but to be so pedantic well ....
Anyway i must stop thinking about it now.
Thanks for the support xx

I got two of my fosters sight unseen and the third I saw her but never met her. I took them willingly because I knew I could provide them with what they needed.

I sure hope the dreaded flu does not ruin your summer so drastically.

I have a feeling that if things are meant to be then they will happen anyway, that is certainly the case with a lot of buns it seems. If he is meant to come to you, it will happen. On a side note, once you've all recovered, could you train up here? I could pick you up from the station and drive you over, then drop you back when you're done. Just another thought to add to the mix. Ipswich is a mainline station so it should be pretty quick.

Actually, I think it's even quicker to Colchester so I could get you from there too if you found that was a feasible possibility.

I'm going to PM you something now.

I got Sandy sight unseen too. She was one who was meant to come to me because I reserved her early Feb (2007) then took the reserve off because I had lost two very special buns and couldn't contemplate adding more. In mid March I lost my much loved girl Moon and contacted the breeder to find out about Sandy again. In those 6 weeks she had been trying to sell Sandy to no avail, but that day I went down and collected her and she came here and acts like she owns the whole place.

If it's meant to be it will happen and there will be a way to make it happen.

Ok cool thanks, yes i dont see why not that would be great.
Yes i do hope the dreaded flu does not cause too much upset for us this summer.
Thanks again, i shall keep you updated x

You know i live by that rule too i really believe if things are meant to be there will be no stopping them x i find it comforting sometimes when fighting for things and not getting anywhere that although i have no control over events, things just work out how they are meant to x
I did ask her at one point in the conversation if it was possible for coventry to do a homevisit as they are close to me, infact possibly closer but diff county and she said that they would want to know why oxford had refused and would be suspicous of me if we did that and think i had something to hide, although i hadnt been thinking of hiding anything, just putting it as an option.

Just wanted to say that he us not yet reserved. The bunnies are anot shifting at all, none are reserved.

He came bounding over yesterday and had a big cuddle and some fuss. He's such a love bug.

I'll try and upload fo pictures later.

Latest posts

Back