For all rabbit lovers to consider....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinnyBoBinny

Reaction score
Now Iadmit, this may be a bit off topic, but hey it's still aboutbunnies. I have a close friend who is an avid "herper"(reptile and amphibian enthusiast) who, as you might guess, justdoesn't understand us lagomorph lovers. I recently invitedher on a family trip, and she wanted to do nothing but search for herps(however, she was hardly interested in the cottontails I pointed out,even the extremely cute baby one). Whenever I talk about myrabbits and my love of them, she always finds away to champion herherps, often commenting that such and such snake would devour my lovelylittle rabbits. Does anyone else have a problem similar tothis with any other animal lovers they know? Even if it's not"herps", even if it's something like dogs or birds, does anyone elsehave a person who thinks their species is WAY better thanrabbits? I try and be as interested and understanding of heranimals as I possibly can, but when she starts commenting about howhers could easily eat mine, then I get a little ticked off.People just don't seem to understand that rabbits are more than just aball of fur, that they're full of personality and just as fun asinteresting as a snake or dog.

Sorry if it sounded more likea rant, but I would like to hear any stories or thoughts anyone elsehas about this problem. It'd be nice to know that I'm not theonly one. :)

Hi Vinny,

As Buck stated, your friend was RUDE. But so are many Rabbitinthusiasts who seem to refuse to accept anyone elses choice of pets ifit does not coincide with their own. I really don't want to bring thissubject up as many rabbit lovers lean toward Heart-Attack at the mearemention of the word: Snake! I am NOT a great lover of Snakes though Idid have a small ribbon snake as a youth. My brother was a avid snakekeeper. He even had a friend from Israel who devenomized poisonoussnakes. Like I said: Though they weren't my favorite choice as a Pet Irespected my Brothers choices. I often supplied him with freeze-outsand Culls to feed his Pets. As I've said before, "All Gods creaturesmust eat." I do not think of myself a EVIL or Ghoulish or disrespectfulin any way of the Rabbit. Rabbits were first and formost and alwayswill remain a food animal. Another fact: Rabbit is often fed inhospitals to patients with poor digestive systems as rabbit has NOcholesterol and little to no fat. This makes it very easy to digest. Iknow some will get turned off by this, but it is the truth. We shouldnot be afraid of the truth for then we only limit our fact findingoptions.

Perhaps if you learned abit about your friends pet choice and spokeabout the Reptile with an ear to gain knowledge. You have to learn whatmakes your friend tick to be able to reach out for understanding. I seea great lack of same very often. However, I would point out in nouncertain terms that you do not appreciate your friends lack ofacceptance of your choice of Pets. My Brother [Remember I mentionedhim?] even started raising rabbits for a time and I had him thinkingabout Showing. Unfortunately illness brought that to an abrupt stop. Itoiok care of the rabbits for a time but it proved to be too much workfor me running back and forth. His Wife abused them so I took them andeventually sold them to 4Hers, they were Mini-Lops. Anyway I hope youand your friend can come to grips with the situation.

[If I upsetanyone, I apologize, I just tried to answer the question as best as I could.]

Dennis,C.V.R.

Oh, yes, I have definately had that happen. Oneof the older volunteers that I work with, after learning that I wasinterested in rabbits, said, "Well I didn't know you were intothat.", like I told her I dealt drugs or something. :?

I know all kinds of people that either think their pet isbetter, to the extent of really saying horrible things about animalsthat they do not like. And then there are always the people who don'tlike pets at all, they're fun to deal with :X

Earlier this summer, I helped out at a weekend camp, and one of theother counselors felt very strongly that he hated pets. Notanimals, but pets. We had a rather...*ahem* interesting discussion (Hethought it was a right of passage for boys to torture frogs). Peoplelike that definately frustrate me, mostly because it shows an amazinglack of openmindedness and ignorance.

~M

Dennis,

Don't generalize a whole group of rabbit lovers because of what a fewhave said. Not everyone feels that it's wrong that rabbits havedifferent purposes as pointed out by many members of this forum onvarious different posts. Let's not beat a dead horse here by sparkingthe flame all over again and certainly by judging a whole group by theactions of some.

People have animals of all types and their animals are their familymembers. You'll find this in all areas of the animal owners that theytake offense when it's mentioned that their pet could be a pair ofshoes, a good tasty meal, etc.

Just because people don't like to hear it doesn't mean that they areburying their head in the sand or need it shoved in their faces.

We all know, all too well, that rabbits are the bottom of the food chain.

WelcomeVinnyBoBinny,

This friend of yours likes to get your dander up. Don't let it get toyou. I'd avoid someone who was purposely trying to constantly upset mewith such ridiculous nonsense. I consider it to be quitechildish personally.

I've had people talk to me a lot about cooking my rabbits and I justlaugh and tell them how long it takes before the meat is done. Whenthey don't get a rise out of me, they usually go onto find someone elseto annoy.

Sometimes the only way to fight fire is with fire; then again, why bother with some people? It's not worth your upset or time.

-Carolyn

Don't generalize a whole group of rabbit loversbecause of what a few have said. Not everyone feels that it's wrongthat rabbits have different purposes as pointed out by many members ofthis forum on various different posts.

Hi Carolyn,

I am sorry that you took my post that way. I wasnotindicating anyone in particular. Just stating that thereare many of that opinion whether on this forum or not. I did not meanto incriminate anyone on the board. I guess I wasn't clear enogh in mypost. Anyone who has such an attitude already knows who they are. Nooneneeds to poinit it out!

your friend was RUDE. But so are many Rabbitinthusiasts who seem to refuse to accept anyone elses choice of pets ifit does not coincide with their own. I really don't want to bring thissubject up as many rabbit lovers lean toward Heart-Attack at the meremention of the word: Snake!

Sorry:

Dennis,C.V.R. [I love my Rabbits too!] But I don't condemn Snakes.

Understood Dennis. I just don't think it's fairto target rabbit pet owners as being the only one's who don't like tohear about such things. This attitude goes way beyond rabbit pet owners.

-Carolyn

Had to open my hoopla on this one: Since I amgetting ready to head home, 11 days and counting..........I have heardone to many times "What about your bunnies?"

er, what about them? they are coming home with me!

OH the shocked looks I get (love the drug reference, you would think Isaid) and then the statement "Won't anyone take them for you?"

BONK ON THE HEAD....NO...

That's it for my R&R (rant and ramble)

hehe,

Cher

VinnyBoBinny: I think your friend has problemswith her own self esteem and using her animals she tries to feel moresuperior than you.
Its funny, but when I tell guys that I have a rabbit they all say( as ajoke) that we have to eat it. Girls just say: " Oh how cute, can I seeit?"

Cher wrote:
Had toopen my hoopla on this one: Since I am getting ready to head home, 11days and counting..........I have heard one to many times "What aboutyour bunnies?"

er, what about them? they are coming home with me!

OH the shocked looks I get (love the drug reference, you would think Isaid) and then the statement "Won't anyone take them for you?"

BONK ON THE HEAD....NO...

LOL!

Great word pictures there.....

Rose

I moved to a pet friendly apartment a year ago,and I was told that it was silly to bother looking for a place thatspecifically allowed pets since "your rabbit will probably die soonanyway." Would someone say that to a dog owner! :XI get a lotof giggles and questions from family and friends about my choice tohave house rabbits instead of a more traditional pet. At least we knowthe truth about rabbits. Good thing we have eachother.

yeah, not a lot of people think its a serious pet.
Most just think getting a rabbit, is like getting a fish.
But he has so much personality and feelings. You really have to pay attention to him.
I was away this weekend, when I came back he was so happy and started playing with me as soon as I cleaned his cage.

I get the "it's only a rabbit" thing all thetime. Like I said in an earlier post, my ex-boss was really bad, andalways on about eating them, or shooting them or whatever. It kind ofbackfired on him one day when he had a client in and startedtelling him I was crazy cos I had house rabbits and I must be a "verysad person". This client gave him a very dirty look and said that heand his wife also had two house rabbits and said what amazing,interesting and funny animals they were. The look on my boss's face waspriceless.When I tell people about Perry and Pernod, most have neverheard of rabbits being kept indoors and have no idea that they havepersonalities and they are really interested.

Like Cher, We are thinking of moving to Canada, and I get asked aboutthe bunnies. Of course we will take them, they are part of the family.(I may leave my husband behing, thoughlol!) - Jan

First and foremost I appreciate everyone'sresponses (thanks Carolyn :) ) and I want to emphasize that,probably like many people on the forum, I DO respect my friend's choiceof animals. True, I don't understand them very well becauseI'm not as interested, but you must understand that such a frustrationfor many rabbit owners (such as myself) comes not out of ignorance orbias on our part but the fact that said friend seems to refuse tounderstand rabbits at all. In fact, I wouldn't care so muchif she didn't care about rabbits at all, as long as she respected MYlove for them. It's almost a prejudice against species, andwhile I'm sure I've made my slip-ups in the past, it's nowhere as nearas bad as her bias is.

Of course, maybe part of my problem is that this friend considersherself better because her animals are "tougher", "more dangerous", and"more beautiful". It's just ridiculous. I don'tlike it when other animal lovers think they're better than someone justbecause they think an animal (such as a rabbit) is a "wussy"pet. But it's something you can't really confront, becausethe person's mindframe may never change. She thinks her scopeof knowledge and understanding reaches so far, but it hardly goesanywhere at all.

Buck Jones wrote:

Your "friend" is very unkind and rude. I'd tell her I was going to makea belt out ofher snake if she doesn't stop knocking yourchoice of pet.

Buck

Love the belt comment! I think I'll use it next time :) teehee!

"maybe part of my problem is that this friendconsiders herself better because her animals are "tougher", "moredangerous", and "more beautiful". "

I don't I understand why is a person defined by his pets anyways. Ifthe person has no pets, what does it say about him, probably nothing.

Maybe if you showed your friend a Flemish Giantor something similar, they would have a different opinion, consideringthey are the size of a small dog! When people see my dwarflop and my Californians, they either say awww how cute, or look at thebait! When they see Bubba....well lets just say jaws are onthe ground, except of course when they say them's good eatin :?!

I don't understand the love of reptile personally, and I don't wantone, but they are pretty interesting to watch (when and if theyactually do something!) No one should put down anyone's choice ofpet! I wonder what my "friends" would say about my dogs,cats, rabbits, guinea pigs and horses? Well I know what somefamily says, but some of that is unrepeatable on here! :?

Maybe it's time to say stop, shush, I don't want to hear itanymore. Good luck to you. I'm sorry that yourfriend isn't more respectful.

Dawn

i would just simply say this to your "friend"youlike reptiles i like rabbits, did i attack you or provoke you in anyway to lash out at me? if not then why are you depriving me the rightto have my own opinion?

you will never win a battle against someone who dosnt care for yourchoice of animal but at least you deserve their respect, aswell as they deserve yours. we are all different in this vast world andthat is whats makes us uniqe,and someone has to care about snakes andsomeone has to care about rabbits and somone even has to care aboutants ect. because if people didnt they all wouldnt be here.

sara

Latest posts

Back