Food Diary

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SnowyShiloh wrote:
Is it really okay to drink diet (no calorie) drinks like diet soda, diet iced tea, and Crystal Light? I read that even though they don't have calories, your body reacts and gains weight as if they do. Is that true? I really dislike carbonated diet drinks, like diet sodas and those bubbly flavored waters. The carbonation seems to highlight the fake sugar taste. I don't mind sugar free sweet drinks that aren't carbonated though.[/quote]

everything I have read on this says that artificial sweeteners do not attach to the same receptors that sugar does. So, even though you have something that tastes sweet to your tongue, your brain is not satisfied and continues to crave sugar. Many people will then eat more sugary things to satisfy the craving.
This works out for me, as I've never been one to want or enjoyable lot of sweet things (it's salt that I want). There are other health concerns with the sweeteners, but since I limit my consumption of them, anyway, I am not too worried.

ruined a good day yesterday when hubby decided we should have Chinese food. LOL

Today I had
  • 8 oz. of 1% milk
  • 1 banana (I've been having leg cramps, thought the potassium couldn't hurt)
  • 1 1/2 cans Diet Coke
  • 16 oz water
  • sliced red pepper
  • red pepper enhanced hummus
  • bean soup
  • Ritz crackers
  • 99% fat free yogurt with raspberries
Not sure what's for dinner tonight.

Beth, thanks for the clarification! I'm not huge on eating most sweet things, so I don't think drinking something with artificial sweeteners makes me crave sugar. While it's true that I hate a peanut butter cup the past 3 days (or was it 2?), I adore peanut butter and those things are actually pretty salty. I drink a lot of water and have things like diet iced tea as a "treat" of sorts or to get some caffeine if I'm having trouble staying awake.

Today has sadly been devoid of fruits and veggies so far. I woke up late and grabbed a pina colada yogurt and a small baggie of Peanut Butter Panda Puffs cereal to take to school for breakfast, then I just had lunch half an hour ago. A can of chicken noodle soup and a piece of the 45 calorie toast with a little melted cheddar on top. In a few hours I plan to eat some applesauce. Dinner tonight will be a light chicken pot pie recipe I found. It's full of veggies, plus some chicken and a sauce made from milk, flour, chicken bouillon and some herbs. Then some biscuity things on top. I hope it turns out well! I'm going to make cucumber salad to go with it.

Uh today was kind of faily in the veggie department. I had:

breakfast- light pina colada yogurt and Peanut Butter Panda Puffs without milk (I really love this cereal)

lunch- chicken noodle soup and slice of 45 calorie toast with a little melted cheddar

snack- tiny chocolate chip cookie and fun sized Butterfinger

dinner- a casserole of sorts made of mixed veggies, chicken, sauce made from chicken broth, milk, flour and spices, and little biscuits on top. I added it up and each serving was 325 calories. It was good!

Dinner was a home made cheeseburger with onions and mushrooms. Also a fresh green salad. I had another 16 oz of water and 1/2 of a Diet Coke before I crashed in bed early.

Well yesterday I had:
Breakfast - Small bowl of cheerios
Lunch - 2 slices of bread with lucheon meat, raisins, apple and small milkshake.
Dinner - we had a takeaway as was busy during day but, tried to keep it healthy with a veggie burger, small fries and a milkshake.
Though I was told by my fiancee's mum the other day that it looks like i've lost weight so I must be doing something right lol!

Yesterday I had

-2 eggs and 2 slices of rye toast
- a bowl of vegetable barley soup
- a salad(lettuce, cukes,red pepper)w/ calorie wise balsamic dressing
-Pasta baked in the oven:healthy choice high fiber pasta(taste like white but has 7g of fiber), pasta sauce, a can of diced tomatos, veggies(celery, red peppers, onions, shredded carrot), a little lean ground beef and topped with a tiny amount of mozzarella.
- Apple before bed

I also had 1 cup of coffee(2 tsp sugar no milk), 1.5liters of water and 1 diet pepsi.

Today's been no good; no time to make a healthy meal. Since we're snowed in heavily and have a lot downed limbs, it took from about 5am to 11am to take care of all of the animals, drag theiremergency kits upstairs in case we need 'em should the electric go, saw down & move all of broken the branches hanging into our driveway and electric wires, and shovel the nasty foot+ of heavy, wet snow we've just had!

So far today I've had:
Breakfast
- 1 Plain coconut milk yogurt
- 1 Glass of hemp milk
Snack:
- 1L of water
- 1c plain popcorn
Lunch:
- Black bean, tofu, and roasted veggie burrito

Not doing good in the grain, legume, green, fruit or veg department here! I'll have to step up my game for snacks & supper... if we have power to cook with. If not I'll have to stick to nuts, fruits, greens, and veggies.

What are your guys' tips for drinking more water?

When I get up I usually make myself drink a glass of water before I grab breakfast or head to work (and eat breakfast there). And if I find myself drinking whatever I am drinking pretty fast or I know I'm thirsty, I down a glass or two of water before going on to drink something else. But I still can't seem to get enough just doing that!

I keep a water bottle on my desk so its right there at all times and I drink it throughout the day.

Also if you drink 1 glass(a glass is usually bigger then 8oz)with each meal it helps.

Sometimes I"ll mix a crystal light packet(peach ice tea is yum!) into my water bottle if I want something different.

Cait, I used to have trouble drinking 8 cups of water a day too. Then about 6 years ago, I started to MAKE myself drink that much every day. I carried a big water bottle around and would make myself drink it. After a week or so, I didn't have to think about it anymore and it wasn't hard at all to drink that much. I probably drink a good 12 cups of water every day now.

For breakfast I had an English muffin with a small amount of margarine, a light vanilla yogurt and 2 small turkey sausage patties. Lunch was a pastrami and mustard sandwich on the 45 calorie whole grain bread and baby carrots. It's 3 pm here now. I plan to eat some apple sauce or grapes in an hour or so. Dinner will probably be leftovers from last night and cucumber salad.

Good tips! I am sure if I had it around like when watching TV or during work (which I usually take a soda for... naughty) that will definitely help. Shiloh that makes sense... The old adage, "actions become habits" thing really does apply to most things!

I wish I could make myself like yogurt. :( It seems like it would be a good thing if you were trying to eat healthier.

Today I had a salmon sandwich(can of salmon, 2 tbsp of low cal miracle whip)on multigrain bread with some celery and carrots sticks and dip(calorie wise ranch) for lunch. I had a cheese string for a snack and for supper I made sauted zucchini, couscous, and porcupine meatballs(meatballs with brown rice in them, cooked in a can of tomato soup).

Now i'm off to watch the canada vs. slovakia hockey game at a friends house. Hopefully there won't be bad snacks at the party.

Cait, do you dislike the tang of yogurt? Or the texture? I'm glad I like yogurt, but I cannot eat it if it has fruit bits in it. The fruit is so slimy. When I was a little kid, I had major sensory issues when it came to food texture. Anything with lumps made me vomit. Thankfully I don't do that anymore, but my hatred of yogurt with lumps of slimy fruit in it remains. Unless it's bits of pineapple or pear, which are firmer. I'm glad there are lots of yogurt flavors that don't have bits of fruit in them!

I think mostly it's because it's a dairy product, they've always weirded me out. Milke, cheese... Even ice cream weirds me out if it isn't an out-there flavor. Yogurt itself is also probably because of the texture. I also don't like applesauce or anything with the consistancy of baby food basically! LOL. I'm not sure I can get over that... Oh well. Veggies are good for you too! LOL

Cait, I know what you mean. I've always liked most fruits, vegetables, and grains. But when it comes to animal products, it's much more hit or miss. I hate plain yogurt.

I didn't do so well with today's food. I had yogurt, turkey sausage and an English muffin for breakfast, baby carrots and a small pastrami sandwich for lunch, and applesauce and leftover chicken-veggie casserole for dinner. That part's fine, but I had pancakes at about 6 pm (5 hours after lunch and 5 hours before dinner). I was hungry and really wanted pancakes. The good thing though is that pancakes really make me full so I only had 2 small ones, didn't put egg or oil/butter in the batter, and used a small amount of syrup. They were GOOD. I added it up and I had about 1450 calories today.

I've noticed a trend the past few days of me feeling like I need something sweet at around 6 pm. Something other than fruit. Does anyone have an idea of something sweet I can have at that time that isn't too unhealthy but stifles the craving? Good thing is that I don't need very much of whatever it is.

yesterday I had:
Breakfast - Small bowl of cheerios
Lunch - pasta in a mug, handful of nuts, apple and milkshake
Dinner - Turkey dinosaurs and mixed veggies

Today:
Didn't get chance to grab brekkie as we had visitors come earlier then thought
Lunch - had about 2 handfuls of chips and half a fish from the chip shop (had some as guests were round and fancied fish and chips lol)
Dinner - Noodles in a mug, raisens, apple and milkshake

Today was horrible for me.
Slept in, no breakfast, except a cup of half-caff coffee, black.

Husband was wanting curly fries, so we went to Hardee's. I got the fish sandwich, with curly fries, and a regular Diet Coke.*

Dinner was a package of Oriental flavor Top Ramen noodles. I added a handful of broccoli florets, which I sauteed with garlic and about 1/2 tsp. sesame oil, and one egg, scrambled. Topped with about 1 tsp. sesame seeds. (After that huge greasy lunch, I wasn't feeling hungry for dinner, but I was shaky and light-headed, so I had to eat something.) Two big glasses of seltzer water.

Then I had two gin and tonics, and one Godiva chocolate truffle. LOL.

I did go to the mall this evening, and since I left husband at home, I was able to spend a lot of time walking around, instead of the normal Saturday afternoon of sitting in front of the tv. Of course, if I hadn't gone to the mall, there wouldn't be Godiva truffles here.......

*Note: I usually drink decaf beverages, I gave up full-caffeinated beverages about two years ago. So now I can't sleep.

Latest posts

Back