Fluffball's Possible Pregnancy Diary

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How old should they be before they leave mummy?

Because I was wondering, I don't want Fluffball to be stuck in her cage for 6 - 8 weeks.

Can they go outside in the run with her or can she go out by herself for a while and they stay in the cage?

ETA: When I say "leave mummy" I mean like can they be away from her if she comes in for a cuddle, or when I'm taming them..

You can give Fluffball time away from the "kids" after a few days, if she wants! Some does won't leave the kits for several weeks. You can assess her willingness to leave by opening the door of her cage and seeing if she is willing to come out. Give her the option to return and check on them if necessary. Some girls will, some don't care.

my experience with breeding was very heartbreaking hun, id be prepared for the death of some babies or the mum(it probably wont happen) but if it does and it happens when their 6 weeks old you really do break down hun. id also read up on handrearing just incase i had to handrear 3 babies because my bun stopped producing milk after 3 weeks :shock:i lost 2 and barely saved the 3rd.

if handrearing did needed done hun could your parents do it when you were at school? as they need fed at least every 3 hours.

when rehoming them id make it clear to the new owner that if ever they needed to rehome the baby at any time of its life then you'll take it back this will stop the babies from being dumped in rescues or being passed on to a horrible home... ive seen some sad stories in teh uk and seen rabbits in such sorry states :(

tell owners about vaccinations, neutering, possible health problems that can occur i.e dental problems. also id ask to see a picture of their housing i must stress this hun as ive seen loads of cases where buns have been kept in carriers and even a bread bin!! :(

mistakes happen but if she does give birth those babies relie on you to find them a good home if you dont then you will live with the guilt of being them into the world. i always wanted to be a breeder hun but after seeing the states of some buns who have been neglected i couldnt help but think that could be a rabbit i bring into the world... what kind of life would that be for them :(id also look into getting your buck neutered if you cant afford it then (i hate saying this as i call it blood money) but sell the babies for say £10 each and spent that money on the neutering so theres no more accidents.

Thank for sharing all of that :)
Though I have been talking to Ali and she has told me all about everything you said, I am willing to take them back if their new homes do not want them anymore.
I will understand if the babies die, I am also willing to hand feed them and mum will do it in the day.

I am going to make a leaflet for each person that has one of the bunnies with the link to this forum and the basic info about feeding, vets, attentoion etc etc.

I am saving up for Dippy to get neutered, I am saving up for all of them to be fixed then the plan is to either bond them into pairs or if I'm lucky bond them ALL together :shock:

Becca, in light of the breeding accident, you're doing your best to be responsible about the care of all your rabbits. Although life will be simpler for you if it turns out Fluffball is not pregnant, if she is, just keep doing your research and ask the breeders here any questions:)

Hope all is well

Jo xx

Thanks Jo,
I have put together all the information I've found out so far here it is (I've printed it off)

RABBIT PREGNANCY HELP SHEET[/b]

Weaning:
When the babies are too old to be drinking off their mum but little too young to be rehomed and need to be separated from her.
Wean the litter (take them away from mommy) at 6 weeks of age. Sex the babies by 8 weeks and seperate them, boys from girls.

Nest Box:
About 27 days after the breeding, she should have a nest box. Put in whichever corner she does NOT poop or pee in.
The nest box should be about 10" x 12 ", with at least 4" sides (6-8" is better with a "dip" cut out for an entrance). I like to line the box with shavings or absorbant material (cotton batting, etc.) and pack the rest with straw or hay. Momma will dig out a hole in the middle and should line it with her fur. Some does pull fur the day before they kindle (deliver) some won't do it until after they kindle. (If she doesn't pull fur, you will have to do it for her. After she kindles, her hormones actually loosen the fur and make it easy to pull off her belly. You would pull enough off to cover the babies.) -BlueGiants

Plan on taking the nest box away from her and the litter when the babies are 21 days old. You can leave it longer if it's cold or drafty where they are, but it has to be cleaned frequently.
Food:
Give her the same amount of feed for a day or two after she delivers. Gradually increase the amount of feed you give her. The babies will not come out of the nestbox to eat until they are 15-18 days old.
At 8 weeks, you can start sending them to their new homes. Prepare a bag of feed to send witheach bunny that they can use to wean the babies over to their feed.

How many?:
A litter can be any number from 1 up to 14... Average is usually between 4 and 7
For lionheads - I've had anywhere from 2 babies in a litter- to 9 babies in a litter. My average litter size was around 6 I think - however, I had larger does and let them mate about 3 times with the buck in a breeding session. – Peg
Handling:
I handle our babies from the day they are born – BlueGiants

After Birth:
You need to make sure they are all alive and well. Remove any that didn't make it, clean up any "after-birth" (placenta's) that the momma doesn't clean up. Don't stress out the momma, give her a little treat (parsley, carrot, apple) pet her, then check the nestbox. And I check them once a day after that, to make sure they are getting fed, everyone is together inthe nest and warm, and to make sure the nestbox is clean and dry (if not, I clean it out).

Peanuts and Runts:
A "peanut" inherited dwarfing genes from both parents and usually will not survive. A large number of them have under-developed digestive systems that can not absorb nutrients. Both parents have to carry the dwarfing gene for that to happen.

A runt is usually the smallest baby in a litter. May have been the last egg fertilized, may have been squeezed by siblings in the uterine horn, may not have had full placental attachment in the utereus... a lot of them survive just fine, they are just smaller. Some will always have problems, (digestive problems, lower immunity, etc.)

Time Away:
You can give Fluffball time away from the "kids" after a few days, if she wants! Some does won't leave the kits for several weeks. You can assess her willingness to leave by opening the door of her cage and seeing if she is willing to come out. Give her the option to return and check on them if necessary. Some girls will, some don't care.

I am glad that irishbunny came back and apologized. :) It does sound like it was an accident, but if I were 13 years old, I'd be pretty excited about the thought of baby bunnies. So after the "oops" moment, I'd be like-yes-baby bunnies! Anyway, whata lucky girl you are to have this wonderful forum to help you out!

Becca wrote:
Thanks! And welcome to the forum :biggrin2:
Thanks, but I'm actually not new-was just having trouble getting my password, and my email had changed, ect. So I started out fresh :D

minirexmama wrote:
Becca wrote:
Thanks! And welcome to the forum :biggrin2:
Thanks, but I'm actually not new-was just having trouble getting my password, and my email had changed, ect. So I started out fresh :D
Oh Okay :)
:baghead

Becca,

I had just read your story before I went to bed last night and then I had a weird dream! Fluffball had her babies but they weren't rabbits they were ducks! I was there too! It was just really weird becasue I don't usually remebemer my dreams!

I guess it just goes to show how crazy I am!:p

Aly!

Becca, an idea on the spaying/neutering thing-get Fluffball done first(after the babies). because you'll have the two boys and that way it eliminates the threat of her getting preggers again;):cool:.

Good idea, though the thing is Benjamin won't be mature enough for a couple of months so incase - not that I would let anything happen again. :?

Fluffball was just eating her fur :? She was taking it out from her tummy then eating it - WHAT?

She probably isn't actually eating it, she is probably chewing it (making it softer) and holding it in her mouth. She will put in the nestbox when she is ready.

If she is pregnant it may just be her "thing", like how some rabbits just love to eat fur. Not sure if they like the taste or what because they can not digest it :?She is a Lionhead to so that is a bit more cause for consorn. There is a few things you can give to keep down fur block, I think maybe pineapple juice is one? I know a breeder that gives it but I am not fond of her as a breeder so do not try it before someone else comments about it ;)She should be fine till someone else can comment but I think maybe she is just cleaning or she is getting pregnancy cravings. Since she can not have a pickle, ice cream and chalk mix she goes for the fur xD

Becca wrote:
Fluffball was just eating her fur :? She was taking it out from her tummy then eating it - WHAT?

I would have thought it was too early for her to be pulling fur :?*shrug* maybe not.

irishbunny wrote:
Becca wrote:

I would have thought it was too early for her to be pulling fur :?*shrug* maybe not.
Thats why I was worried :?

I have friends who have had does nest right after breeding and nest till they have babies. They even nest when not pregnant, it is a sign they want babies. My friend's doe kepted a nest with a stuffed baby rabbit in it, it was her baby :biggrin2:I would not worry about early nesting, I would be thankful. When I had litters they always waited to nest right before or after they had the babies, kept me stressed because I never knew if they planned to care for them or not :p

Latest posts

Back