Everyone needs a himalayan (the breed, not the color)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunny

Reaction score
My himalayan has been home a total of 15 minutes, and he is running up to me and binkying around like he owns the place. He is very calm and can be handled any way you want! There will be no sitting on the floor ignoring him for weeks LOL He is all about people and attention!
He is swaying his head (a happy thing himmis do a lot) and exploring but he is not the least bit scared or shy. He would take on a bear LOL
I want to know...why are these not more popular? At the breeders, her kids passed them back and forth like dolls and the rabbits didn't kick or flinch...they are the best companion rabbit I've ever seen! Is it the pink eyes? I was apprehensive about the eyes when I heard they were always red, but they are different than REW red eyes! It's like a pink center with a light blue ring around it. It's kind of neat! Anywhooo I wanted to gush over our new baby and tell you all to consider a himmi before you die :clapping: I AM A HIMALAYAN CONVERT :bunny18

PICS TO COME!!!

After my mom raised them they kind of grew on me. They were very sweet rabbits! Im not sure why they arent more popular but it might be because of the red eyes. We only have one breeder that continually raises them and he is a judge.

I just cannot believe the temperment of her rabbits. It's like they aren't even rabbits (they don't seem to realize they are prey animals specifically) lol They are too calm!

Himalayans make good pets. They're curious, but will still sit in your lap contently (usually). They make good moms and tend to accept fosters from other litters. They used to be very popular for youth to show because they're easy to handle. The last few years, though, they haven't been very popular for showing.

I agree with all of those statements. I'm baffled as to why they would slowly dwindle. The only thing I can think of is they aren't as flashy as some of the newer breeds popular with youth such as lionheads which can be a real show visually! I also know some don't like the pink eyes, but I'm telling you as someone who dislikes red eyes....YOU WILL GET OVER IT WHEN YOU SEE HOW AWESOME THESE GUYS ARE!

I had a Himalayan dwarf a few years ago and she was a lot like you are describing also extremely intelligent. Julie isn't an Himalayan either but has some in her and is really hardy, very social and
intelligent. Nothing wrong with pink eyes.

Now i want to look into a himalayan! I was certain i would get a mini lop one day... but i want to check these guys out... Our lionshead acts alot like that but not as willing to sit with us.

Could you post pics?? I haven't done much research on Himalayans, so I don't know anything about them! :)

I will work on it. Even though he is SUPER OK with the move, I'm giving him some space so he rests. He's a widdle baby, and he won't settle down and take a nap lol I'll get some pics later tonight guys :D STAY TUNED!

Here is a little info on them: http://www.bunnyhugga.com/a-to-z/breeds/himalayan.html/

Don't confuse them with californians which have himalayan color as well as a number of other breeds which can be himalayan in COLOR but are not the BREED.

Last edited:
What I love about himmis his that they are a fantastic rabit for young 4Hers to have. They are calm, light-weight, and probably the easiest breed to pose. I always prefered the himmi bucks for some reason.

If you look you can see the outline of where his egg is starting to come in nicely and you can also see him molting out the color in his shoulders. He is also losing a lot on his face and bunny butt!

24368b3f31fbe0b8960ef1e66fd11b25.jpg

Do either of you know when you think his color should be mostly filled in? I was told 6 months is a good estimate of when I will get a good idea about his show worth.

Ill give you some pictures actually :)
Here is my moms baby at 38 days old
100_0100-1.jpg

and at 3mos old. She said the color should show on your baby nicely at this age also
100_0240.jpg

You should know before 6 months. I started showing mine when they were 3 months because that's when their color and markings were in. As they grow they will gain some more length. I did have one baby that I really thought would be a blue but when her color finally came in she was black...she was a late bloomer because she was about 4 months old.

Back