Erika's Critter Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch on the bite!

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUNKIN!!!! Possibly my FAVORITE bunny on the site...hope you have a very hoppy birthday! :D :D

Thanks Myia. :)

Dunkin's 2nd B-Day thread is here with PICS! -
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=60235&forum_id=1&jump_to=807881#p807881

For you Felix fans...

73236466.jpg

Erika, I made it to your blog, haha. (I need to start getting back into them all, so I'm sorry.)

Uh, I love Dunkin!:biggrin2: Watch him, just, watch him, haha:p.

Felix is adoarable. Is he growing much? He's so little.:)

Hello blog of mine... You have been so neglected. :p

I haven't been posting much on RO for the past few months, but I'm always here lurking. Life hasn't been super great this year and I had a hard relapse into depression after losing my health insurance that paid for me being properly medicated. I got on a special program however, and now I'm covered again, so things are getting better!

Bunny News:

My Californian foster bun, Sadie, went to a new foster home (a really awesome one so I can rest in peace). I now have Penny as a foster in the hopes of bonding her to our grumpy little dwarf, Felix. Penny is an Angora of some sort. She is incredibly sweet and chilled but has a very sad story. She was pulled from the county shelter by Friends Of Unwanted Rabbits, just skin and bones, a whole 3 lbs (remember she's an Angora?!) and that is being pregnant with 6 babies. Delivering the babies would surely kill her (according to the vet) and they were not in good condition due to the mothers severe neglect, so she was given an e-spay which obviously aborted the babies but saved her life. Almost all of her toes are broken, leaving her feet a bit deformed looking, I believe from an improper wired cage.

This is her before picture :( I need to get an after pic, she is a different rabbit!

So her first date with Felix went... well bad. It was in the bathtub and Felix pretty much right away went after her nipping and growling. He growls at humans, no not really surprised. I broke it up and he would just go right back to it. Then they would sit still for a bit, all would be well, but right when Penny moved he would go in "I'm a big tough 2lb Netherland Dwarf" mode. Then Penny got annoyed and nip/growled back. At that point I just sat them beside each other, stroked both of their heads to distract them, and ending it on a good note. All of this took place within about 5 minutes.

Next time I tried in a small round pen. That went even worse. Same thing but this time fighting from Penny and Felix was pulling fur. Tried squirt bottle to break them up, no luck. Got in there and grabbed Felix. I decided to divide the pen and put them back in on separate sides. Then they were totally fine. Their cages are side by side and they are totally fine too. It's just Felix and that darn little man syndrome.

Third date was on a clothes basket on top of the dryer (I didn't have enough dirty clothes to use the washing machine, le sigh) and that actually went quite well. Only a nip or two from Felix, lots of cuddling together and looking around. So my plan at this point is to do car rides to start off the dates then to neutral territory immediately after.

Good luck bonding. Glad things are better for you.

She looks like she's a beautiful rabbit (despite the "before" picture). I can just imagine what she looks like now. Good luck with the bonding!

Blog update time! Lots of news to share, good and bad. :twitch:

Penny has Rabbit syphilis. Not just syphilis, but a very resistant kind. So far treatment has only improved her condition very slightly. Felix is getting precautionary shots just to ensure he does not get it from my bonding attempts before I knew she was infected.

Bonding Felix and Penny is not going to work. Felix is just super territorial. It doesn't matter if it's neutral territory, after a car ride, banana on faces, squirt bottle, separation, larger space, smaller space. His first instinct is to attack the other rabbit every time. What can I say? He's a jerk but I love him.

Okay so all that was the bad news, now for good news, yay!

-

I has a Russian Tortoise! :hyper:

Your probably wondering how the heck I got a Russian Tortoise, haha. It's a VERY weird story actually. My best friend and I were being walked by her rabbit on a nice sunny day around her apartment complex. Then this cute soft spoken older lady came up and was asking questions about him. We told her how he's a rescue, one of the abandoned bunnies we caught. She randomly asked if we rescued Russian Tortoises.

We've never rescued anything of the sorts, but were sure willing to give her some help. We got her apartment number and promised to stop by the next day to take a look after researching. To Google I went! After reading all kinds of care sheets and websites we felt we had a good knowledge of their proper care and requirements (they can live to be 40 years old!!).

When we got to her place... lets just say she was super loving to them, but very ignorant on proper care. No heat, No UVB, three caged in a small 90 guart bin on CareFresh, fed every three or four days romaine and carrots, that's it. Yikes. She purchased them 6 years ago at Petco and couldn't keep them due to moving. We agreed to take them. My best friend is keeping two and I'm keeping the larger male.

Their beaks need to be trimmed and they are dehydrated but other than that they are shockingly healthy.
No signs of MBD which is a miracle. Thankfully these critters are very hardy. I've named my guy Sheldon.

[align=center]
117a2b7e.jpg

[/align]

Oh wow. Nice work.

Erika, you have such a nice blog and lovely family members. I must say, Felix is my favorite. If he disappears, it was not me! Really, don't come looking! Hehehe. :p :wink

Hey :) What a great blog you have. I adore your pets. They are cute, especially the brown one with those big brown eyes. Amber,right ? :) Awwww she's my favourite ! hehe. I'm so crazy about brown bunnies. :)

Thanks Nela and Vircia! :biggrin:

I've got some catching up to do on this blog... First off, we added another member to the family. A baby holland lop named Aimee. Felix refused to bond with anyone else so I thought, why not try a baby? Less threatening and what not. My idea worked and it was love at first sight! They adore each other. Aimee is a complete sweetie but nervous of people still. When I first went to see Aimee her owner roughly scruffed her. So when you go to pet her in the cage or pick her up she freaks out. But once she is out she melts.

"I love you so much *lick*"

b03d4a05.jpg

I love the disapproval in this pic. :D

86ac4598.jpg

Latest posts

Back