Dying newborn rabbit? Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krank

Reaction score
Ok, so i have a baby rabbit that mom bit his ear off shortly after giving him a birth. I took him home, syringe fed goat milk. He was't getting plump but his hair was developing well and scar tissue started to form in his wound but he was getting skinny. I think he may've aspirated some milk a few hours ago, as he coughed a bit and made some clicking sounds. 2 hours ago i tried nursing him on his mom so that he could get some rabbit milk and now when i picked him up he made some clicking sound while opening and closing his mouth and suddenly stopped moving. After a minute he started moving a bit and idk what's wrong with him??? Please help!

He moves a bit with his arms, legs and head when i uncover him to take a look

I am so sorry. I am not sure. I am sorry that no one replied. 😞😢

At this point there wasn't anything we could have done to help.
Sorry that you lost this one, we did tell you to not get your hopes up when handfeeding. If you get in the situation to have to try it again read up beforehand, there's a lot of info about hand raising in the other forum you posted, and other sources. And it's a last ditch effort when there is no other option.

Well, live goes on - how is the rest of the litter doing?

Last edited:
I’m so sorry for your loss. You did try your best to handfeed him, I’m sure but it is so hard for them without mum. I hope the rest of the litter is doing okay 💛

So sad, you asked for advice and didn't listen to it. I'm frustrated that you didn't heed their advice and that poor baby bunny died as a result...what was the point of even asking ..ridiculous

So sad, you asked for advice and didn't listen to it. I'm frustrated that you didn't heed their advice and that poor baby bunny died as a result...what was the point of even asking ..ridiculous
I don’t really think it’s fair to make a statement like that... we don’t know if the baby would make it even if it was with it mum. Kits pass all the time even when they’re with the doe, but I don’t think it’s fair to blame it on them. Mistakes were made, let’s hope there is a lesson to be learned

No, kits don't pass all the time when you provide right care, not true at all. In this case the innocent kit was killed and I won't be offering any emotional support to its killer.

Well I remember threads some time ago when a girl bred her poor bunny every month and had 5 'accidental' litters over a short period of time, she also didn't feed her rabbits and no wonder her kits were 'passing all the time'. This maybe gave you an impression that this is normal, but it is not.

I also feel frustrated like I was forced to watch a torture, I just stopped commenting on that thread after I've realized that advice being ignored.

No support from me, no.

Actually, kits do pass now and then, no matter what you do. It does happen, it is inherently a part of life, and it's not that rare with rabbits. I had streaks of good luck for years, but thinking you just need to do whatever someone on the Internet says will save all kits is just wrong. Does even do sometimes single out kits when they think something's not right, or kill whole litters for whatever reason, does happen.

Decisions need to be made , advice has been ignored, errors occur. I can see that it can be not obvious in time that something is going wrong when you try to handraise a kit the first time, watching the little one suckling away gives false hope. Raising rabbits has a steep learning curve. And there is no way to tell how it would have ended otherwise. Uttering such harsh words from a safe, comfy position is too easy.
Pardon me, but this whole topic is not about your, or my, feelings. Getting offended over something on the internet that doesn't go my way, well, not easy but one can work one that. I can't count the posts I deleted before pressing the send button.
Since you mention J., I'm still pretty much of the opinion that this was kinda a troll, the timeline simply just didn't add up in those dramatic episodes. I know such people in RL.

Anyway, there's still the rest of the litter to care for. And I rather have people ask questions than shying away from grumpy old men. Life goes on.

Last edited:
I don’t really think it’s fair to make a statement like that... we don’t know if the baby would make it even if it was with it mum. Kits pass all the time even when they’re with the doe, but I don’t think it’s fair to blame it on them. Mistakes were made, let’s hope there is a lesson to be learned

I agree with @Apollo’s Slave.

And I don't think it's fair that it didn't get a chance to be back with it's mom and litter mates...have you read this entire conversation..I'm not trying to be mean...but got very frustrated seeing the same thing being asked over and over again but not taking the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back