Dutch and Holland Lop had babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh so funny Rabbitpro! I work with CS5 Photoshop and I can see and know how to make a pic look like that. My litter was an oops litter. I was told by the vet he MIGHT not, have babies, long story. Both parents where together for 1 year before their first litter. She is a great mom and the babies are not and will not look Ugly.

Agreed. I also use Photoshop & can see where that photo has been edited.
That was funny though.

That is so funny but he just looks like my little boy Bandy, definitely some lionhead and probably angora with all that fur. And mine is too cute, definitely not an ugly bun :nasty:

Here´s my cutie bun and his two pals...

2012-12-06162650.jpg

I got my Holland lop from a good breeder and all and I've read on it saying how the Holland lop breed is inconsistent... Aand my Holland lop definetly has ear control...she has her moments when she looks very loppy but she's got the more narrow face and tight crown. But this is why I love her so much cause she's different. I wasn't into showing bunnies so it doesn't bother me a bit though....... Those babies are adorable :) makes me want another one soo bad! Gotta wait for the extra space though.

I have a question for you guys! I am trying to sell my babies on craigslist for $25.00, is that too high? I have people asking me if the babies come with a cage, litter trained and other things. I have on the listing they are Holland Lop / Dutch mix and I update their age and pics. I put that I can't tell the sex til about 6 weeks. People are wanting them now at 4 weeks and I say no. Should I add things to the listing. As of now not one person for my babies. Plz help
Thank You:dancingorig:

Well, definitely mention what age you are going to sell the babies at. A lot of times, people expect the babies to be litter trained, so you could reply saying, "I'm not litter training them, but it is very easy to litter train a rabbit..." And give them some references maybe. You could even direct them here once they have the baby! I think another problem is that you don't know the gender yet. If I was going to buy a rabbit from an ad like that, I'd want to know the gender, so maybe just update your ad/create a new one once you know the genders? You could also try posting ads in a few places. I think$25 is a good amount. It's better to have people pay a little, so it might help drive away those who wouldn't be great owners if they weren't willing to pay $25 for the actual rabbit! That would usually lead to them doing no research, buying a small, cheap cage, etc. You can also make sure they know that rabbits aren't cheap pets, and that can help eliminate unwanted buyers.
Good luck, I hope your babies find good homes! :)

Last edited:
Hyatt101, thanks! I did put in the ad that they would be 6 weeks old before I can tell the sex and I do update every other day their age and pics. I thinks people just half read the ads and think because it is on craigslist the rabbit would be cheep. I am litter training them now and for me to have 7 babies they are doing well. I have they are Holland Lop and Dutch mix and people ask if they are lionheads, twice that happened. Crazy

Doesn't that drive you nuts when people don't read the whole ad?! I usually post an ad before I breed the rabbits, and I sometimes get people say to me in an email that same week "can I stop by this week to pick one up?" Ummm no, I clearly state in my pre-breeding ads, that I haven't bred the rabbits yet! Those are ones that do not get added to my waiting list!!

bhoffman, it does drive me crazy. I added to the ad baby bunny only, no cage and so on. So as of now not one person for my babies. They need to be gone by March 16,2013. I do not want to sell to the pet store. People don't understand that at the pet store they will pay more for a mix breed. I have checked it out. :brownbunny​

I would totally take one. In a heart beat, but I got my boy for free. The thing is I hate the idea of paying for one when you have to pay so much to get them fixed and get them their health visits and everything once you get them. I think the money you spend on getting the money will take away the money you can spend on the vet visit, etc.

I think that must be the cutest video I´ve ever seen....all those little legs kicking...

I think that sounds like a fair price, it depends if people are rabbit savvy cos it´s usually quite difficult to sex them early so they may not know when they buy. I tell you if I was nearer, I´d be so tempted...they are all just too much...I actually like the darker ones just something that I like but they are all lovely.

I'm with Hyatt101. May I ask why they need to be out of the house by March 16? 6 weeks is so young for baby bunnies to be away from their moms, it would be better for them if you could wait until 8 weeks. Things can go fine for baby bunnies that go to new homes so young, but they're more likely to get sick and die :( Also I don't think you should lower the price or anything. And I would be reluctant to sell the babies in pairs because it's very easy to mis-sex babies that young and I'd hate for an accidental brother-sister pair to have a litter 4 months from now.

Most US states make you wait until 8 weeks to sell, plus it's better for them to be with mom for those two extra weeks. It may help you get a better idea of their gender.

I agree with a lot of what Shiloh said although it would be nice for them to go in pairs IF you think the people will get them fixed. Maybe you can have them put a deposit down on spay/neuter at a vet you know of as proof that they'll do it. A lot of people (especially on CL) will lie to your face and not feel any remorse.

Seeing that they've bought a "gift certificate" for $50 per bun at a vet with the intention that it go toward neuter would be enough for me to let them go in pairs. If they did that, I might even forget about asking for a rehoming fee. Even same-gendered pairs will often get into fights if they're intact. It's not unheard of that some intact bunnies of the same sex get along ok, but it's better for everyone if you can have a spay/neuter guarantee.

The rehoming fee amount is ok, maybe a little low. Bunny medical care is so expensive that you don't want people thinking rabbits are a "cheap pet."

I would totally take one. In a heart beat, but I got my boy for free. The thing is I hate the idea of paying for one when you have to pay so much to get them fixed and get them their health visits and everything once you get them. I think the money you spend on getting the money will take away the money you can spend on the vet visit, etc.

Personally, I think that's even more of a reason to charge for a pet rabbit. Because if you can't afford the cost of a rabbit and the vet expenses, I don't think you should be getting a rabbit. There's nothing wrong with getting a free rabbit if you are going to care for it well and have those things. But as a seller, I would want a price on my buns so that I know I'm not just getting anybody who suddenly decides they want a cute rabbit and haven't thought about the cost of everything else involved, hutch, food bowls and toys, vet bills etc.

A rabbit is certainly not a cheap animal, in fact, I should think the set up cost for a rabbit probably in most cases exceeds that of a cat or a dog simply due to the hutch and the generally higher cost of treatment at vets etc.

Back