DOGS, do you have any?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good, they really enjoy leaving the house lol My Grandmas dog Polly used to go stir crazy if she didn't get out :)

For a collar I would say that depends on the dog. If he is known for getting spooked or pulling on the lead I would go with a 2" wide nylon collar, if he is ok and walks at heel all the time then nothing below 1", or better 1.1/2" wide collar. Stay away from chain collars if you can, if not nylon then a leather collar (preferably pig/goat skin) again 2" wide for a spooky dog or 1"-1.1/2" for a calm dog or a slip lead, but I must say absolutely DON'T use a slip lead if you havn't had an experienced trainer show you (it looks easier then it is to use them properly) how. I don't suggest using a harness alone with a big dog since they are almost useless in controlling a dog when they are stronger! But also pick something that the dog finds most comfortable, considering a Labrador/Retriever should be having an absolute minimum of 2 hours walking/jogging/running per day (more is better) you don't want something that is going to sit on the dog shoulders when it runs, but not one that is useless when it has slack in it to stop it rubbing the dogs neck, this is where a slip lead becomes handy but obviously you cant put tags or a tracker on a slip lead since it would be of no use. Oh and another thing (lol) you will probably want to look into getting a Pointer Tracker since Labs/Retrievers are well..retriever dogs ! They dont usually have to be trained to go tracking/retrieving and are known for doing it at the age of 10-12 weeks old so its not really something that is tought, rather something that is planted into them. But again - thats up to you!
Meeku - Can I please, please, please have Heidi ? :p

My Kirby

gotta love a big mush-faced boxer dog :D

11-15-08222a.jpg

11-15-08246a.jpg

11-15-08264a.jpg

11-15-08266a.jpg

ETA: Don't buy the little hut shown in these photos. I purchased it before reading this thread, but it seems several of our members have lost animals due to eating parts of this hut. The packaging says it's edible, but obviously it is not. :shock:

Elf Mommy your dog looks so adorable:p You see him and are like big tough boxer dog then you see him with Elf and it's big love bug hehe. My friend has a boxer who is the most soppiest little dude ever.

Thanks PepnFluff and BlueSkyAcres. I pass the word along to him that he has a few more admirers. :p

Slobbers is a very impressive guy. I was afraid that the pictures I chose of him would not show off his size and beauty.

I actually found Slobbers on Petfinder. The guy said that he needed to find a home for Slobbers because of an elderly parent living with them. Slobbers was only two and had lot's of puppy in him, so he accidentally knocked his grandpa down a couple of times...:(

The people brought him to my house from Illinois. I am still able to remember the first time I saw Slobbers.... I really thought to myself, "What have you gotten yourself into now! Look at the size of him!" :shock:Now he just seems like a huge baby. :pHe is actually quite sensitive for his size. His feelings are easily hurt and he pouts until I say that I am sorry. And when he is happy....his whole world shines!!! :biggrin2:

As far as the Beethoven- thing goes, he gets that all of the time. I think it really has helped the little kids who want to approach him, but are afraid because of his size. If they only knew how fast Slobbers would go down for a tummy-rub.One day I let Slobber chose his walking route, and he actually found a lady on her walk who couldn't wait to pet him. Before I knew it, he was on the ground getting a full-blown tummy-rub from a lady he has never seen before!!! :p:biggrin2:

This is just an example of the powers of a Saint Bernard. Added bonus is that he is a total guy-magnet!!! :DMen can't wait to see him because of his size and handsomeness. He has guys crossing streets, leaving stores, and stopping in the middle of the road to see him. Reminds me that I need to start working out again. Could end up with a phone number or two....(lol) :p

myheart

awwwh i saw a stray golden retriver today on my way home form a school trip..
It was really skinny... it had a collar and a leash on... :shock: it was just dragging it along.

I can tell it was hungry, it was searching for food... i called for it and it came to me then my stupid tecaher came and told me of, which of course scraed that dog... arrgh stupid teaher :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

stupid stupid stupid tecaher.

the dog was so saaaaaaa-weeeet!, she/he was adorable.

I had some food that this dog could have ate.. and i knwo i couldnt have done much, but the tecaher could have at least let me use my cell phone to call animal control... tccch...

and then i texted dad telling him and then he txtd me back saying:
"ah too bad if i was there i would have taken him to the pound or at least bught some dog food for it.."

poor dog.

x:cry2:grumpy

Here are my doggies:

00740013.jpg

My puppykins, Daisy, she's an Australian Cattle Dog. She'll be 15 this spring, she's beenmy best friend since I was 12 years old.

00740006.jpg

My boy, Yannik, he's 1/4 ACD & the rest is mutt. lol. He'll be 3 this spring. He's really sweet & takes care of Daisy a lot, like he'll go get her if she falls behind on a walk or something. He's mine & Dan's first "baby."

:biggrin2:

~Diana

btw anyone leave there dog at home when they're at work or anything?Does your dog get up to mischeive?
Yes, our dog is home while we are at work. We got her from the spca/humane society when she was 5 months old. She is a yellow lab mix and 85 lbs full grown. We crate trained her when we got her and she was in a crate most of the day. We slowly increased her space once she got comfortable in our home and with the rules. First we gave her the laundry room/bathroom area, then that area plus the kitchen and then eventually the whole house. It took a couple of months. She was quite destructive when we first got her and would chew anything left around. She really calmed down when she was in her crate. She just felt more secure there and as we worked with her daily, she got better in the rest of the house too. She has had full run of our house now for the last seven years with no problems while we are gone during the day.

Your plan sounds good and it may depend on the dog you get. You may find that it adapts quickly and is fine in the house. Or you may find that it is incredibly destructive and you need to really work on training out the destructive tendencies (lots of walks, obedience training, etc.) It will probably depend on how old the dog is when you get it and what the previous training had been (if any).
Here's our plan when no one is at home (work and school)

The dog get's the garage, rumpus and spare room downsatairs, the rumpus has a sliding door that leads to the garden. the garden will be fully fence so if he needs to do his bussines then he'll be able to. food and water will be available at all times ( the food ofcourse wont be free feed.) toys, LOTSA TOYS to keep him occupied. then when the first person to get home will bring him upstairs.

Now this will only be the first month or so just so he gets used to the rules. He wont be left there all day just 4-4 1/2 hours 3 days a week? do you think thast okay, because if its not we are willing to think about a different plan.
If your dad had rabbit allergies, are you looking at breeds of dogs that shed less? I know there are some that work better for people with allergies. My friend has a shitzu (sp) that is supposedly better for people with allergies.

heyyah.

My dad wasnt allergic to the bunnies it self, he was mostly allergic to their urine.

Your dog sounds lovely and very sweet.

We are not going to adopt a puppy, we are going to adopt dogs that are around 1yr old because The family (more the time actually) would suit better with an older, mature dog. You know we dont have to be home during the day and etc etc.

Plus if we adopt an older dog hopefully we'll save a life ( puppies tend to get aopted more)

Thanks for the post!

x

P.s id love to c a pic of ur dog!

btw anyone leave there dog at home when they're at work or anything? Does your dog get up to mischeive?

Yep. Kaya stays home all day while I work. When I first adopted her from the HS, she had major separation anxiety issues. At the time I was working from home, but the first time I went out without her and came home I was greeted with an indoor mess that would have rivalled Hurricane Katrina's might. There was garbage strewn from one end of the apartment to the other. The sofa had been dug at and chewed. The end of my bed was mangled, along with the sheeting. A kitchen chair was decorated with a rather impressive new design: doggy toothdents all along the back and legs. And the linoleum floor in the kitchen sported a long, jagged tear that ran from one side of the back door to the other....I'm almost certain that wasn't there before I'd left. And all of these new renovations were done in the space of less than half an hour.

So I did what both my vet and the Humane Society workers (who finally confessed to me that Kaya had been adopted out and returned to them - twice - before I adopted her) said would be impossible to do. I crate-trained my little furred wrecking ball. She had an aversion to being locked away in anything, so it was a challenge, but I did accomplish it after a ton of praise, perseverance, and many moments of having to crawl into the crate myself just to show her how comfy-cozy it was, and how she was missing out on these wonderful new digs. With the help of a portable radio, a blanket to cover the crate, and a peanut butter-filled Kong, the impossible was achieved, and Kaya learned to love her home within a home. She remained crate-trained for about a year and a half, until I purchased my house...and then I decided to try her once again on her own, sans any caging. And she has been fine ever since. Well, I do have to overlook the occasional garbage can raids, food theft from countertops, and small tears in the top blankets if she decides my bed is more comfortable than hers, but overall Kaya is very secure being on her own. And this is a dog who had once panicked so badly when she was put in a cage at the vet's (overnight stay before her spay a month after I got her) that she almost knocked herself senseless banging her head on the top wire from leaping up and down endlessly.

Kaya's daytimes now consist of sleeping, dreaming, woofing at the mailman, drinking, sleeping, woofing at the junk mail delivery guy, sleeping, farting, woofing in her sleep, and dreaming of 10-lb squirrels just waiting to be chased. Then when I come home it's tail-wagging time, leaping up and down 'let's go out! let's go out!' time, excited 'feedmefeedmefeedmefeedme!!!!' time, and fling the stuffed ball / stuffed Arlene kitty / plastic my pretty pony toys all over the place. Oh, and about four times a week there is also the obligatory 'head down, tail between legs, "It wasn't me, it was the dirty stinking rabbit who made the mess" greeting as well.

So yep, I have a stay-at-home dog. (Guess I could've just said that and it would've answered the question, huh...:p)

I have two Japanese Akita Inu (different breed from the Akita), a red/white male called Jiro and a brindle girl called Kinu.

Jiro:
n777295155_3013076_9168.jpg

_MG_1041jirosm.jpg

Kinu:
n777295155_4107031_5189.jpg

n777295155_4276871_3182.jpg

OMG Bassetluv, I think we have the same dog! lol. She was a lot easier to crate train than Kaya was though but boy was it necessary. We still can't leave ANY thing that even smells like it might be food out anywhere.;)

Jenson, your dogs are beautiful! I've never seen that breed before. Of course, I've never met a dog I didn't like. lol.

I don't have dogs anymore. I had to move out to an apartment, and the doggies were the "family" pets. I've had five dogs in my life (I don't remember Suzie the poodle or much of Eppy the Westie-Poo mix). Since then, my parents have always had West Highland Terriers. We had Bridget, who had ten puppies in two litters (five per litter) and we kept one from the second litter. That was Jenny. She passed away in 2007 :( We adopted Brody a few months before Jenny passed. Jenny was a purebred, but she had floppy ears and was nowhere near "show quality", but was an awesome dog. Not a cuddler, but a good girl. I still miss her (tearing up a bit).

Here is Jenny R.I.P. girlie.

Here is Brody, AKA Boogers

Wow Kaya, Kaya Kaya.. What a great revonator (if thats such a thing)
Im glad she turned out great! I guess it just shows that nothing is impossible with dogs ay.

Jiro and Kinu is just wow wow wow, they are so very pretty. Japanese Akita Inu's are irristable! :p

kherrmann3:
I am so sory about Jenny's passing, thats the thing i hate about owning pets.. they die. by any chance is brody the cheeky kinda dog?

x

His nickname is Boogers :p "You little booger!" is a common phrase at my parent's house.

The nickname originally came from when we first got him. We got him from HAWS, and he had caught "kennel cough" while he was there. He was just full of snot all the time, and he kept sneezing in his little crate. When we finally cleaned it out, there were boogers caked on the inside of it. Eww...

He likes to steal things. Mostly pens. You can be writing something while sitting on the bed, you put it down, and he will put his front paws over it, then rest his head on top, then pull it back under him.

He also loves watching TV. We've never had a dog do that. He sits on the back of the couch and will race up and jump up at the TV if there is something that he doesn't like (or likes, whichever it is lol). Animal Planet is a hit :p

He has a deformed front leg that my parent's can't afford to fix. The actual bone is bending (between the elbow and wrist). His wrist is almost a 90[sup]o[/sup] angle. It's painful to watch him sit like that, but it's almost like he does it on purpose. He's also missing the teeth right behind his canines, and he likes to hook things in his mouth there. He will do that with your fingers while playing with him. The teeth were not removed, they just never came in.

He has a lot of genetic problems and mental ones that are from his unfortunate beginnings. He went to the Humane Society after they broke up a puppy mill. It was a small-scale puppy mill, but they were all house in a basement in their own poo. They were in wooden crates with chicken wire fronts. The seized about 30+ Westies from there.

Long story short, yes, he's a cheeky little guy.

ahaha! I knew it "boogers" :p
I have always always always alwyas said awwwhhh when ever i see a west Highland Terriers!

well i pretty much do that 99% of the time to all dogs

Its funny i've always liked dogs, my parents said i've always liked them ever since i was little, very little indeed.
I've always been obsessed with them.. when i first moved to NZ, the first time i went to the local library i got out about 10books and they were all ... wait for it dogs.. and trust me when i first moved here i did not know ANY english but still i tried to read it sooooo hard. then by the time im in year6 ( i was year 4 when i first moved here) I have read all the dog books in the local library.. even the adult ones.

At school i used to write "i love dogs and puppies" on everything i own.. even the school tables... :embarrassed:

now im year8. I still love them to bits and this is my time to have MY very own loyal companion.

xx

MyLOVEABLES!! wrote:
I have always always always alwyas said awwwhhh when ever i see a west Highland Terriers!
Have I got the pictures for you, then! Sorry for the quality, I had to take a picture of a picture. These are photos of Bridget's first litter. I love these pictures. You see that flannel blanket under them? I still have that blanket. It's my "bunny-pee protector" on my bed lol

Our first litter's names were Angus, McTavish, Bronwyn, Brody and one other. I can't remember the last boy's name. In a sense, we've had three Brody's. Each litter had a runt, and my mum named them both Brody. Boogers was a small guy when we got him, and he was named Brody. It was going to be Jack, but at the time, my sister was pregnant and decided she wanted to name her son Jack. That was a month after we started calling Brody that.

A couple-days old:

Getting older and more naughty!

More cuteness!

Here is a photo where we dressed two of them up in Muffy Vanderbear outfits for a contest lol

Latest posts

Back