Dogs and rabbits? A few questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
Okay so after several (almost 10) years of nicely asking my mum for a dog, she has finally said yes, and is giving me a plan of things that I need to do before I can get this dog, but all of it can be completed in about 6 months - which is pretty soon in my opinion (a good thing, I guess). We are now financially stable and can afford three pets and all that stuff.
The breed of dog that myself - and my family, have always wanted, often isn’t all too rabbit friendly, unfortunately. A German shepherd.
I want to go to a rescue to get whatever dog we get so I know that there is a high possibility that it won’t be that breed. and of course, the main thing in my head is that it needs to be rabbit friendly because of my house bunnies.

I have a few questions for any rabbit & dog owners:

1. Is a puppy better over an adult so that they can get used to each other from a young age?
2. What is the chance of a German shepherd being rabbit friendly?
3. Are there any specific things to think about when getting a dog when I have rabbits? Such as any questions I should ask myself?
4. What *large* breed of dog is the most rabbit friendly in your opinion/experience?
5. Would a breeder or rescue be better in terms of knowing that the dog is rabbit friendly?
6. is there any specific questions I should ask the place where i get the dog to make sure it’ll be safe?

Edit: I do already have a dog, if you recall. But this new dog would be different because it will live with me (where the rabbits are) and not at my fathers house.

I’m my opinion, all dogs, no matter what breed, won’t be completely safe around bunnies. Just make sure to keep the two separate and have a place in your bunny’s cage or pen that is his “safe space”, like a hidey hut, that he can go into if he feels threatened by a dog. Having a safe space will help the bunny feel safer with having a new predator around. With keeping these in mind, I don’t think it’ll matter too much what breed. Some dogs bred for hunting might try to get into a bit more trouble though.

I’m not an expert but I would definitely say not a German Shepherd if introducing to the rabbit seeing how they’re huge, playful and very loud. While the German shepherd might be friendly (likely that it will be friendly to owners but not new people) it will probably be way too rough on the rabbit.

Most dogs would probably be too rough on rabbits unless taught not to be but a small dog would be best for the rabbit. There is always a chance you get a gentle dog but you really don’t know for a while. I don’t think you really could ask any specific questions because practically all puppies are crazy and you wouldn’t know the actual personality.

I think you could still get a large dog, but I would keep the rabbit in a separate room that the dog can’t get to. Or if you want to introduce the rabbit and dog then I would get a small dog. And definitely not one that is bred for hunting (I don’t think any small dogs are but I’m not sure). Personally, I would get the dog I’ve wanted forever (in your case a German Shepherd) but keep them separate. But it’s up to you, just remember that you want to keep the rabbit safe.

Edit: I just saw you’d get any breed at the shelter. So I’d go for a small dog (but probably not a chihuahua because in my experience they are mean) so you can introduce to your rabbit!

I’m my opinion, all dogs, no matter what breed, won’t be completely safe around bunnies. Just make sure to keep the two separate and have a place in your bunny’s cage or pen that is his “safe space”, like a hidey hut, that he can go into if he feels threatened by a dog. Having a safe space will help the bunny feel safer with having a new predator around. With keeping these in mind, I don’t think it’ll matter too much what breed. Some dogs bred for hunting might try to get into a bit more trouble though.
Thank you. I totally agree that it wont be fully safe with rabbits, my rabbits have their own room (my room but it’s more like theirs). The dog won’t be allowed in my room anyway, because of the rabbits but of course I’d want them to be safe. I’m probably overthinking and thinking too soon, as I’m sure that the rescue I go to will be able to find a dog that’ll suit my family. I’ll probably also get a lock on my door once we get the dog so that when I get out the dog won’t be able to get in.

I’m not an expert but I would definitely say not a German Shepherd if introducing to the rabbit seeing how they’re huge, playful and very loud. While the German shepherd might be friendly (likely that it will be friendly to owners but not new people) it will probably be way too rough on the rabbit.

Most dogs would probably be too rough on rabbits unless taught not to be but a small dog would be best for the rabbit. There is always a chance you get a gentle dog but you really don’t know for a while. I don’t think you really could ask any specific questions because practically all puppies are crazy and you wouldn’t know the actual personality.

I think you could still get a large dog, but I would keep the rabbit in a separate room that the dog can’t get to. Or if you want to introduce the rabbit and dog then I would get a small dog. And definitely not one that is bred for hunting (I don’t think any small dogs are but I’m not sure). Personally, I would get the dog I’ve wanted forever (in your case a German Shepherd) but keep them separate. But it’s up to you, just remember that you want to keep the rabbit safe.

Edit: I just saw you’d get any breed at the shelter. So I’d go for a small dog (but probably not a chihuahua because in my experience they are mean) so you can introduce to your rabbit!
Thank you. They won’t be around each other all the time, and they’ll be kept separate pretty much all of the time but I feel like I’d need the precautions of making sure that the dog won’t try to kill my bunnies when my back is turned. My rabbits mainly stay in my room but will sometimes sneak out onto our first floor (I’ll probably need a baby gate for the stairs too). I’d get a small dog but with two brothers who think they’re tough (they’re not), they’re quite against getting a small dog and mum ofc, says that we can only get a dog if we all agree. Thank you! I’ll have to add a door lock and a baby gate to the budget 🙈

The size of the dog isn't that important. In fact, larger breeds tend to be more laid back and that can make them easier to get along with rabbits (less likely to hop up and chase them).

Getting a puppy is not necessarily an advantage. Puppies go through a teething stage and when they are in that stage, they cannot/should not be anywhere near a rabbit. Teething puppies chew on anything -- even the ears of their puppymates! They won't understand that a rabbit is not a fellow puppy. Those pin-sharp teeth will easily puncture a rabbit's thin skin.

A good rescue will know their dogs pretty well. If they are unsure about how a particular dog may be with a rabbit, you could ask if you could bring yours in to see how the dog reacts (while still caged). It's also important for the rescue to know that you have a rabbit. That way, if it ends up that the dog absolutely won't get along with the rabbit, that they will take the dog back and you can try another one. Our most recent dog was from a rescue. They understood that we had rabbits and knew that their getting along was a condition of us keeping the new dog.

I've had a dog and then gotten rabbits and have also had rabbits and then gotten dogs. I use a particular method to train and introduce dogs & rabbits. I explain this on a page of my website. It may help.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/introducing-dog-to-rabbit.html
Some hunting breeds will have too much genetic disposition to overcome being companionable with a rabbit. But for other breeds, it really depends on the individual dog and his particular temperament. I'm definitely partial to larger dogs myself. Here are some pics of our (past) dogs and rabbits.

Attachments

• 100_2985.JPG
    100_2985.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180115_192149.jpg
    20180115_192149.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 12
  • shiloh and gandalf (800x601).jpg
    shiloh and gandalf (800x601).jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 11
Over the years I had 3 dogs here, for weeks at a time when the owners were on holidays or in hospital. Didn't have any problems with my 2 free range house rabbits, and I could leave them alone together after about 3 days when I had to work. Of course, that does not work with every dog.

A big plus is that the dogs came into my house which was new to them, alone, the owners had to stay out so they knew whos house that is and who sets the rules. The rabbits were a part of it from the start. I never tried to keep them seperate, but I kept the dogs on a leash until the bunnies approached first (well, to get a treat from me) and watching the dogs reaction. My rabbits pretty much just ignore the dogs after 2 days, and vice versa. I think, if I were keeping the rabbits away the dogs would have been curious about them, i preferred to quench that curiosity and act like rabbits in the house are the most normal thing there is.

All 3 dogs had close to no hunting instinct whatsoever, and were min. 5 years old. The Collie was a little more difficult, because she somewhat got frustrated because the rabbits ignored her, but she had to accept it.

I don't have enough time for an own dog, but I absolutly adore the neighbours dog and their bunnys (the shepherdish one in the cage)

Good luck with your dog :)

Attachments

• Gina und Herr Hase2.jpg
    Gina und Herr Hase2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Hundchen5.jpg
    Hundchen5.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 6
  • Kira und Hasen.jpg
    Kira und Hasen.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Zdog.jpg
    Zdog.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The size of the dog isn't that important. In fact, larger breeds tend to be more laid back and that can make them easier to get along with rabbits (less likely to hop up and chase them).

Getting a puppy is not necessarily an advantage. Puppies go through a teething stage and when they are in that stage, they cannot/should not be anywhere near a rabbit. Teething puppies chew on anything -- even the ears of their puppymates! They won't understand that a rabbit is not a fellow puppy. Those pin-sharp teeth will easily puncture a rabbit's thin skin.

A good rescue will know their dogs pretty well. If they are unsure about how a particular dog may be with a rabbit, you could ask if you could bring yours in to see how the dog reacts (while still caged). It's also important for the rescue to know that you have a rabbit. That way, if it ends up that the dog absolutely won't get along with the rabbit, that they will take the dog back and you can try another one. Our most recent dog was from a rescue. They understood that we had rabbits and knew that their getting along was a condition of us keeping the new dog.

I've had a dog and then gotten rabbits and have also had rabbits and then gotten dogs. I use a particular method to train and introduce dogs & rabbits. I explain this on a page of my website. It may help.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/introducing-dog-to-rabbit.html
Some hunting breeds will have too much genetic disposition to overcome being companionable with a rabbit. But for other breeds, it really depends on the individual dog and his particular temperament. I'm definitely partial to larger dogs myself. Here are some pics of our (past) dogs and rabbits.
thank you! This really helped, I’ll keep this in mind when we’re applying! Your website post really helped too, thanks! And your bunnies and dogs are so cute together! I love how comfortable they are

Over the years I had 3 dogs here, for weeks at a time when the owners were on holidays or in hospital. Didn't have any problems with my 2 free range house rabbits, and I could leave them alone together after about 3 days when I had to work. Of course, that does not work with every dog.

A big plus is that the dogs came into my house which was new to them, alone, the owners had to stay out so they knew whos house that is and who sets the rules. The rabbits were a part of it from the start. I never tried to keep them seperate, but I kept the dogs on a leash until the bunnies approached first (well, to get a treat from me) and watching the dogs reaction. My rabbits pretty much just ignore the dogs after 2 days, and vice versa. I think, if I were keeping the rabbits away the dogs would have been curious about them, i preferred to quench that curiosity and act like rabbits in the house are the most normal thing there is.

All 3 dogs had close to no hunting instinct whatsoever, and were min. 5 years old. The Collie was a little more difficult, because she somewhat got frustrated because the rabbits ignored her, but she had to accept it.

I don't have enough time for an own dog, but I absolutly adore the neighbours dog and their bunnys (the shepherdish one in the cage)

Good luck with your dog :)
Thank you! Hopefully because the rabbits were here first it’ll make a difference? I’ll also keep this in mind when we get it and are trying to introduce them! i love how the dogs and rabbits are Grover her! So cute! And that bunny looks huge!

Although I love dogs and cats I would never get one while I have bunnies. Seen too many posts about fatal accidents and horrific injuries. Even if you are very careful you cannot eliminate the risk. And even if there are no physical accidents, bunnies are likely to be stressed by the mere presence of a predator. Ask yourself whether your bunnies want a dog. They don't. Ask yourself whether you really need a dog. You don't.

Listen, I have 3 dogs and one rabbit. All run free in the house. I have an Australian Shepherd, a Labrador and a Chow Chow. My rabbit is a Flemish Giant. Being that Angus is a 28 lb rabbit, he is not seen as prey. I'm guessing that your rabbit is considerably smaller. So this is what I think - since you have a rabbit already, you are best to get a dog in the herding group. And you would need to get a dog that you could train and work with. If you go and adopt a dog, make sure you say you don't want a dog with a high prey drive. Generally those are the dogs that get along with cats.

Although I love dogs and cats I would never get one while I have bunnies. Seen too many posts about fatal accidents and horrific injuries. Even if you are very careful you cannot eliminate the risk. And even if there are no physical accidents, bunnies are likely to be stressed by the mere presence of a predator. Ask yourself whether your bunnies want a dog. They don't. Ask yourself whether you really need a dog. You don't.
Thank you, I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Listen, I have 3 dogs and one rabbit. All run free in the house. I have an Australian Shepherd, a Labrador and a Chow Chow. My rabbit is a Flemish Giant. Being that Angus is a 28 lb rabbit, he is not seen as prey. I'm guessing that your rabbit is considerably smaller. So this is what I think - since you have a rabbit already, you are best to get a dog in the herding group. And you would need to get a dog that you could train and work with. If you go and adopt a dog, make sure you say you don't want a dog with a high prey drive. Generally those are the dogs that get along with cats.
Thank you. My rabbits are both 6lb. All the dogs we were looking at were herding breeds - German shepherds, border collies. I’ve heard that these breeds have a high prey drive though or does it depend on the individual?

Thank you, I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Thank you. My rabbits are both 6lb. All the dogs we were looking at were herding breeds - German shepherds, border collies. I’ve heard that these breeds have a high prey drive though or does it depend on the individual?
They do have high prey drives, but not to those that are part of their herd/flock. So you need to do an introduction, and let the dog become part of your family, including the rabbits. This can take a minimum of 3 months and it just requires patience. You'll find your herding breed dog will not chase your rabbit in the house, but will chase wild rabbits. The wild ones are not part of their herd and do not require their protection. Are you looking for a puppy or older dog?

Ah okay, that makes sense. We’ve got a lot of time on our hands anyway, so however long it’ll take, I don’t mind as long as my buns are safe. It’s very cool that they can learn to know which are the family buns and which are wild (we live in london though so I doubt they’d encounter a wild one). I’m not too fussy about the dog I get. I don’t want an elderly dog as I want something that I can play with and run with, but anything younger than 4-5 years old is fine by me! I was thinking that a puppy may make it easier to do the introductions as we will be able to train them from the start but it seems that may not me the case!

Ah okay, that makes sense. We’ve got a lot of time on our hands anyway, so however long it’ll take, I don’t mind as long as my buns are safe. It’s very cool that they can learn to know which are the family buns and which are wild (we live in london though so I doubt they’d encounter a wild one). I’m not too fussy about the dog I get. I don’t want an elderly dog as I want something that I can play with and run with, but anything younger than 4-5 years old is fine by me! I was thinking that a puppy may make it easier to do the introductions as we will be able to train them from the start but it seems that may not me the case!
I got my first rabbit growing up in the Bronx in New York City. I had a Cairn Terrier Honestly, he wanted to eat the rabbit. When my Cairn Terrier passed away I got a German Shepherd/Labrador mix, about a year old, from the shelter/ASPCA. She seemed to feel all in the apartment were there for her to watch over. And she got along great with the bunny. However, when I took her for walks in Van Cortlandt Park, the wild ones were fair game. Honestly, I don't think age matters so much with the dog as long as it has the right temperament. I wish you the best. If you ever need anything let me know.

I got my first rabbit growing up in the Bronx in New York City. I had a Cairn Terrier Honestly, he wanted to eat the rabbit. When my Cairn Terrier passed away I got a German Shepherd/Labrador mix, about a year old, from the shelter/ASPCA. She seemed to feel all in the apartment were there for her to watch over. And she got along great with the bunny. However, when I took her for walks in Van Cortlandt Park, the wild ones were fair game. Honestly, I don't think age matters so much with the dog as long as it has the right temperament. I wish you the best. If you ever need anything let me know.
Thank you so much! You’ve been very helpful!

you might want to adopt a dog that has grown up around small animals. that way you can know how the dog will react to a rabbit

There's a reason German Shepherds and Labradors are trained as seeing eye dogs.
Because they’re very trainable? 😅

you might want to adopt a dog that has grown up around small animals. that way you can know how the dog will react to a rabbit
yeah, I would love to but I don’t know how many dogs would be. And all the websites say ‘this dog is okay with cats’ or ‘this dog isn’t okay with cats’ I don’t know if this applies with rabbits or not 😅

yeah, I would love to but I don’t know how many dogs would be. And all the websites say ‘this dog is okay with cats’ or ‘this dog isn’t okay with cats’ I don’t know if this applies with rabbits or not 😅
[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about getting to meet the dog and the owners in person to see if the owners were abusive of the dog or the dog is mean. then eventually visit them with the bunny in a carrier to see how the dog will react.

Back