Doe giving birth right now.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with what has already been said, give her a little time to herself to get the kits out. But if it goes on until tomorrow, maybe get ahold of the vet.

Some does just don't handle motherhood well, she may be one to retire as a breeding doe after this.

How is she this morning? Any more babies?Hope she is OK...:pray:

Hey all, she popped out another fetal giant this morning. She didn't put it in the nestbox this time. She must've known it was dead anyways.

I'm pretty sure she's done. I palpated her and felt nothing but what's supposed to be the contents of her stomach. I'm leaving the nest box in for the day, just in case.

I'm just glad that she's okay. I'll rebreed her in a couple days. Twice isn't quite enough to know if this is genetic or not. What's odd is that I got both of these rabbits (the buck and doe) from a lady that breeds, and she told me that she's delt very little with fetal giants. They aren't closely related. They have the same grandfather, but I don't think that's enough to cause genetic problems. I also was careful not to overfeed her this time, and I made sure she was bred twice on the same day to produce more eggs.

What do you guys think I should do?

I'm glad to hear she is OK.

It could still be a genetic issue... not related to how close they are or aren't... Or it may not be a genetic issueat all, it could be an individual problem with her... she may not be able to carry a normal pregnancy. She may just have a propensity towardslarge babies that can't be born alive.

My personal opinion... If I had 2 breedings with the same results, I would not breed her again. But you know the risks, only you can decide it it's worth it or not.

I agree with blue giants.... if the exact same thing has happened twice I would not use her for breeding. Its an awful big risk on her life, and no sense in doing that. And if you do rebreed her I'd give her some time. It sounds like she just struggled pretty hard with the two she did have and would need a rest.

I would go with the three strikes and your out policy. Try one more time, and if the same thing happens, than you should find a new doe. You've picked a hard breed for both competing and breeding.

i'd say try again, but AFTER a break for her. and try to find a rabbit savvy vet that can come to your house or thats open at all times to help with it this time. maybe the problem is that they aren't getting out fast enough and they're suffocating? i'm not a breeder, its just a guess lol

I would try breeding her again but with a different buck!
I see this a lot with my netherlands and I can have a doe have problems with one buck and be absolutely fine with another buck of the same colour

I'll try one last time. I have a feeling that it'll work this time. If it doesn't I'll find a new doe. She was perfectly fine today. She was whizzing all over the place!

Yes.. Hollands are difficult to breed. But I love the challenge. Just thoroughly cleaned all their cages and it smells fresh in there! :)

I'd at least try breeding her to a different buck. Could just be that those particular 2 don't mix well. We went through this with a horse throwing over sized foals and stupidly kept trying with the same stud. Eventually we nearly lost the mare when the foal got stuck and kicked through her uterus. We sold the mare saying to only breed her to smaller studs and the next person had no problems. I learned my lesson. Don't repeat the exact same breeding expecting a different result unless you are willing to lose the female in the attempt.

But please make sure to give her a little break! It must be stressful for her. Give her some time to just enjoy. :) Good luck with the one more! Keep us updated!! I agree to try another buck, though.

I definitely don't want Kaira to become unhealthy. She's really special to me, and I wouldn't give her up for the world. She loves to just cuddle in my arms and lick my hand. She's such a cutie.

I just feel that twice isn't enough to give up on her just yet. There was one successful kit the first litter, so who knows? I'll try one more time, and I'll give her a break.

We shall see what happens. :)

Here she is. ^^

13405_062003_320000002.jpg

I'm glad she didn't die and surprised you are still going to try again, with the same buck even.

JMHO

Latest posts

Back