Daisy's eating her litter box!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My second bun, Daisy, has been gnawing on the side of her litter box lately. I have unlimited hay right next to her litter box because I know how they love to eat while they do their business. I also gave given her many toys to try and occupy her, but she ignores them. It's not a huge hole, but big enough do that I can't fill her letterbox up too much or litter will pour out. I'm afraid that if I buy a new letterbox she will just do the same to that one!Will she have digestive problems if this continues? I need the help of you bunny experts! Thank you so much!

Is it the box that is in your avatar photo? It looks like one of those small-ish ones. Some rabbits are bad about chewing on plastic. One member here had her rabbit eat through the plastic cage she had.

I don't know if this will help or not, but it might. You could try switching to a larger storage box from wal-mart for a litter box. That should only cost a few dollars. Get one of those boxes that are 24" long by around 16". The large size will give more room and hopefully will keep the edges out of her face. With the smaller box, the edge is right there in front of her for chewing.

the boys chewed their litter boxes when they were little too!! yuck!! I bought the bigger thicker ones from dr.'s foster and smith and it solved the problem! good luck!!

Good advice given. Yes, I think a litter box that's thicker and bigger would be help a lot. I was also thinking maybe you can get her a metal litter box?

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

It actually is a different one than the one in her picture. After she grew out of that one, we got her a larger one. We can only go so much larger or it won't fit in the cage! Thanks for the advice though! Ill do my best!

You might also want to consider that if the size I describe can't fit in her cage, then likely her cage is too small. Unless the cage is open 24/7 and used as just a home-base, the cage should be plenty large enough to hold a box 24" x 16" with lots of room to spare.

I have seen some plastic litter boxes with small and long steel sheets folded and clamped at the sides to protect them. Do be careful on the edges though.

Just going to add, Daisy and Clover(Her other bun) are going to be in a C&C cage, so the litter box will have to fit in the small cage. Daisy has also completely chewed one wall down of the litter box. Just trying to add more info while LovelyBunnies2 is gone.

She's my best friend and that pretty much explains its self! :D

I don't understand what this means. If they are going to be in a bigger cage (C&C) then doesn't the litter box just have to fit in the bigger cage? I'm confused.

We don't know when her parents will give her the permission to get such a large cage, and her room is VERY small. She could get a large litter box, but it would be a waste of money as of now because Daisy is still going to be in the little cage.

My rabbits have plastic corner little boxes, and two of them chewed the front of the box almost down to the floor. They were actually about done when I noticed that. It looked like they actually spit the plastic back out though. Once they were done remodeling they gave up that habit, lol. The rabbit in my avatar, Pipkin, didn't chew his litterbox.

I was just over at LovelyBunnies2's house and I saw Daisy's newest litter-box. It is an old cake pan(metal) that has about 1-1.5 inch walls. Just letting y'all know because she can't be on, its a little hectic for her as of now I believe.

Provide something else for her to chew might help, other than hay. Sometimes they just like destroying things. Cardboard is cheapest, and also rabbit safe wood chews.

Provide something else for her to chew might help, other than hay. Sometimes they just like destroying things. Cardboard is cheapest, and also rabbit safe wood chews.

She has a plastic hidey, she always has some cardboard object in her cage(I believe), and she has this bamboo hay holder that she likes to chew on. We are both baffled as to why she sits there and chews the litter box over everything else, because the cardboard,hay, and bamboo are all right by her litter box! :faint:

We have had a couple bunnies that liked to chew their litter box. The metal cake pan idea is a good one, or you might try rubbing a mild bar soap like Ivory on the rim of the litter box to discourage chewing. It won't hurt the rabbit. We've had pretty good success with this.

One of our bunnies began chewing up her plastic litter box. There is a danger that Daisy may ingest the plastic. What we did -- switched to a stainless steel pan with a rolled edge (e.g. a 9 x 12 baking pan). No more chewing!

Back