Daisy stinks!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyMaeK

Reaction score
I noticed today during playtime that Daisy kept cleaning and itching her right ear. I am wondering if it is bothering her? Any way of telling if anything is wrong? Also I noticed a very strong oder coming from her...unpleasant might I add. I picked her up and noticed some smooshy poo stuck in her hair by her rump. I cleaned it out but she still smells. I know this sounds dumb...but I'm new at this, can I giver her a bath? What is causing the smell and how do I get rid of it?

Hmmm, it's probably not sexual maturity then. Could be diet related, especially if she has sticky poos. What type of pellets are you feeding her? Is she eating loads of hay?

Maybe her scent glands need cleaning? I'm no expert on the subject though.

I would check out the contents of the pellets she is eating too, I have seen more than one otherwise healthy rabbit get smooshy poops and the like from poor feed. Since she is so young, her system of course is more delicate right now. Also, is she getting any greens or mabye too many treats? I wouldn't recomend a bath, it usually is better to just clean off her bottom the way you are doing now.

I haven't noticed the sticky poo before today. I feed her Timothy Hay pellots made by Kaytee, and she eats a ton of Timothy hay as well. As for snacks she gets a small carrot once every few days and one Kaytee yogurt chip for rabbits almost everyday. I don't really know what snacks are suitable, any suggestions? Is there a pellot I should feed her over any others?

Are you feeding her a lot of wet veggies? and other treats? My bunny, Bo, cannot have much at all or we have wet poos and extra cecals and he gets "Nassy Butt!"

The only veggies I have fed her so far are carrots, celery and colard greens (she hasn't had the greens in a few days). I'm not sure what the proper amount of veggies is for her age, about 10 weeks now. No other treats but the one yogurt chip a day.

"Nassy Butt!" :D LoL yeah, my buns have that when they were very young..transitioning from mommy milk to their hay and pellets..but once they made the jump, their droppings are just fine...cut back for a bit on carrot, since they do tend to make the droppings mushy, and that worked like a charm.
They'll get the greens and maybe a bit of carrot when they're a bit older.
I'd cut out the greens until her droppings firm up, and then after a week or so slowly introduce very small amounts of just one veggy for a while, see how it goes, then repeat with the other veggies. Carrots can give them watery poops, so maybe hold off on that one till she's a bit older.

and after changing more cat-litter boxes than I care to remember...rabbits poo ain't got nothing in the smell department, LoL

Cut out the yogurt drop too.... those are not real good for them at all and I'd never give one to a baby bunny. I'd rather see you get a bag of craisens to give one or two a day LATER when she's older.....

Treats are fun to give, but it's not good for them at all... carrots = treat also...

Bo gets highly embarassed if I tell him he has "Nassy Butt!" ..... he won't let me touch him LOL!

"Bo gets highly embarassed if I tell him he has "Nassy Butt!" ..... he won't let me touch him LOL"

haha...I'm pretty sure he give you the same 'look' mine have when I lecture them about it -....I swear, the looks they give are just priceless.

LOL , ok thanks I will cut back and see how it goes. Up until now she has had normal poopies, but I will quit the veggies for a while. Thanks for the advice!

Perhaps it was simply some cecal stuck on her bum? Cecal's are poo's that resemble tightly bunched grapes. They can have a strong, unpleasent odor but are an important part of a bunnies diet. Rabbits eat cecal because they are nutrient packed.

As far as her ear is concerned, I would keep an eye on it. My Dunkin is doing the same thing. Keep a look out for hair loss or any other signs of a skin problem/parasites.

WARNING: GROSS INFORMATION
Cecals smell like poo--kinda oniony. I mention this because it would be bad if she had an ear infection that smelled bad (causing her to itch the ear). Take a peek in the ear for any crustiness and see if you can tell if the smell is coming from there. Infections smell like rotting flesh, human body odor, sour milk, that kind of thing. You may also want to clean out her scent glands with a Q-tip and water or baby oil--smelly scent glands smell a lot like cecals but completely terrible and worse on so many levels. It could of course be cecals stuck in her fur causing the smelliness.

I didn't know the yogurt drops were bad, why the heck do they sell stuff thats not healthy? Anyway I will stop giving them to hear and give her craisons when she gets a little older. Another dumb question...where are her scent glands? And I looked in her ear, didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I don't smell it now, she is having playtime again. I asked my husband what he thought it smelled like and he said onions, which is funny because thats what tonyshuman just said. its not stuck in her hair anymore so she must have cleaned it off or ate it, whatever she does, lol. Thanks for all the reply!

Latest posts

Back