Daisy Mae Needs Your Prayers (Resolved!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the bag balm would be better because it will stay there even if the area gets wet again. As long as it's not on there goopy thick, there shouldn't be enough to cause her harm if she licks it. A&D ointment would do the same thing.

Sorry, my Tony wanted to eat his critical care so I don't have tips for that. Lots of water is all I can say. It sounds like she has some sludge in there that should be flushed out. Did the vet give her any sub-q fluids?

Thanks for the advice. Shhe doesn't seem to be drinking much or eating much.

Does any one suggest i give her a dose of metacam i have a few left from the past.

I got to find my bag balm, get cranberry juice.

I'll syringe her some water before i go to bed.

I'm really worried about tomorrow i'm gome fron 7am to 6pm.

No sub q fluids.

OMG this is so stressful.

Susan

How's she doing?
Did you try offering a separate crock of water spiked with juice to try and up her fluid intake?
I would definitely use bag balm or something similar on her bum. It must feel like a bad diaper rash to her.

Poor Daisy Mae *nose bonks and bunny kisses* going her way for a speedy recovery.

I used A&D on Indy and it worked well. I also feed my kids fresh cranberries. They love them and the fresh isn't as sweet as the dried. Less sugar to feed the bacteria in the bladder. I even give a couple to the gerbils too.

Becky liked her critical care, but I made it with cooled chamomile tea and a bit of banana berry baby food mixed in. I think it made it taste much better and so she ate it.

Best of luck. :hug:

Aw, sorry to hear Daisy Mae isn't feeling well. White bunnies shouldn't be allowed to have urinary issues. I can only imagine what the white fur on her poor little bottom must look like! :(

Hope to hear she's eating and drinking again soon. Are you giving her a probiotic? Baytril can upset the bacteria in her gut and if she's not eating much now, that could make it worse.

Feel better soon, Daisy Mae!

Rue

Thanks everyone, i've just given her 2nd dose of the baytril. Oh god i want a liquid antibiotic this is a pain crushing it up.

She had pee all over her tummy this morning. And smelly, i had to sponge her. Poor baby. I've syringed her some water.

I'll give her a little critical Care before i go to work.

How long before the baytril starts to kick in.
Thanks
Susan

With my two that have had Baytril, it took about 3 or 4 days to kick in that I could notice. Just giving a heads up Baytril seems to really bother mine's stomach. Charlie got almost diarhea, and Jelly got a *bad* bought of stasis. So yeah, the water and critical care are very good. Keep a close eye on her.

Also, if I could go back I think I would've taken the pills for baytirl vs. the liquid. lol ..at least for Charlie. She *hated* the flavor and would bite me so bad..then again I don't blame her for not liking it.

I'll continue to keep her in my prayers. :)

My poor baby didn't have a great night. She had pee pee all over her underside. I washed her with nice warm water. It smells very bad, and she had that thick cream coloureddischarge again fromdown below.

She's not eating much, a little hay, blueberry, a touch of pumpkin.

I actually found aAnimal Pharmacyhere in Markham, they can make up the original prescription for me. I do have a call in for theVet to see if it would be ok for me to switch even though i gave her 2 dose of the baytril. Her little bum is so red.

Prayers still needed. I need to get some Bag Balm, i had some but have no idea what i did with it. Has anyone heard of a product called Dr Maggie (Skin care Ointment for Pets)

Thanks everyone for all your kind words for Daisy.

Hugs

Susan & Daisy Mae

She really does need SubQ fluids, they really help.

Syringing water and well-soaked Critical Care will help too, but SubQ is better.

The antibiotics will take a couple of days to kick in.

Mikey is going through a UTI as well and they prescribed some type of sulpha drug (Septra?).

Hope she's okay. :( I can call you later when you're off work if you want.

sas :pray:

Water would really help, orally or sub-Q, especially since she's having the sludgy urine.

The original antibiotic is an older type of drug, same as the drug Pipp's Mikey got, just a different name. Baytril is probably better as far as the bacteria's potential to be resistant to it. Sometimes older antibiotics work well for UTIs, but sometimes they don't. I personally had one and originally was prescribed a sulfa drug but it didn't work and they went to a drug like Baytril, which did work (Cipro). It should help within 3 days or so.

I wouldn't give her the Metacam right now, even though it's clear she's in pain. The problem is that she probably isn't drinking a lot, and metacam can damage the kidneys if the bunny isn't hydrated enough. There are other drugs for pain management when a bunny isn't well hydrated, but they are not over-the-counter and some can make them kinda loopy.

The Dr. Maggie stuff sounds good.

Oh, poor Daisy Mae!

I'm having the same problem with Critical Care right now. I knew I was lucky that Kashi loved apple/banana CC, but I didn't realize how lucky it was until Gracie got sick and I realized that she absolutely hated it. I haven't had any luck with it, but she's started to eat pellets again so she's eating almost as much as she was before the Worst Friday Ever.

Regarding the whole probiotic/antibiotic situation, Kashi was put on a fairly low dose of an antibiotic, I forgot which one, after he licked the surgical glue off of his abdominal incision. About three days later we had our first bout of stasis, so I brought him back to the vet who immediately gave him sub q fluids, and he was nibbling hay again by the time we got home. Some rabbits are just more sensitive to certain antibiotics.

Gracie is on Panacur and Zenequin, on much stronger doses than Kashi (taking into account that she weighs less than three pounds, and Kashi is 7.6) and she seems to be improving. Although I have ordered some liquid probiotic from drfostersmith.com. It comes in a little glass bottle with a dropper top. I'm hoping it's slim enough to bother her too much. I'll let you know how it works out

Hi, well my Baby Daisyhad a little better night. No pee pee on the bum this morning. She ate very little during the night. A few very small poos.

I gave her her medicine this morning, so much easier giving liquid medicine, I'm so glad i found this animal pharmacy. The ointment i boughtseems to be working too.

She didn't eat much so i gave her Critical Care this morning followed by water. it helped to water it dowwn a bit, it wasn't so difficult for her to swallow. She did take one of the Martin treats. Right now anything she eats is a bonus.

How would she have gotten this uti/bladder infection? Can it be spread to Winston & Vega? They all share a bedroom.

I feel so bad for my baby, honestly i wish it was me who was sick not her.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Susan

SAS i was going to send you a pm with my phone number to call last evening. I had to go out for a bit by the time i finished with the bunnies i thought it was too late. Dah you are 3 hours behind me. How's Mikey doing?

It's probably just one of those things. The UTI isn't communicable so don't worry about the other guys. Sometimes stress can cause them, or maybe she ate something that had a lot of calcium.

Thanks Claire,

They do get Kale everyday. That will be cut right back to maybe every couple of days for Winston & Vega, none for her.

I wish she would start eating on her own, Doesn't help that I'm gone for about 11 hours (but get paid for 7 hmm, that's not right. God I hate 1 hour commutes to ajob)

Susan:)

Kale does tend to be high in calcium. Do they like green or red leaf lettuce or romaine? They are very healthy choices. I tend to hedge my bets and alternate greens each week. I find that also tends to help them have less sensitive tummies.

healing vibes for Daisy Mae

Latest posts

Back