Cute, sad older rabbit at Petsmart

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw the cutest rabbit today at Petsmart, but it was so sad. The owners brought him in because the kids were bored with him. He's already 5 years old, was kept in a small cage and was fed dry dog food!

I should've taken a photo for y'all. He was a lop, the size of a french lop, but the fur looked like angora- real fluffy. (I'm no bunny breed expert)

He had never been neutered, but was very sweet. A light tan (fawn?) with a blotch of white on one hindquarter.

I talked to the associates a bit and tried to encourage them to put a litter box in since he was clearly going in one corner. They said he wasn't eating hay (they had probably one-half measuring cup of hay in there) so I suggested they try new hay to encourage eating.

No customers seem interested, they said, because he's 5 years old and/or they want a "little" bunny.

If he were at a rescue, I bet he'd be scooped up. They're all full to capacity though. :(

The Petsmart by you takes in drop off animals?

He sounds cute, sadly so many people are stuck on the age thing when looking for a new pet. So many good animals are overlooked because of it :(

Can you ship a bunny?
I would take him in a heart beat just to get him out of that petsmart.
Too bad it would be a cross country shipment.
But seriously, can you ship a rabbit?
I know you can ship swans, peacocks, and chickens.

You can ship them, but they must be the epitome of health and you must provide them with a good cage, water, food, and bedding. They also need a thorough health check from a vet before and after their journey, which is pretty expensive. On top of that, the actual shipping cost is average $275.

Ouch, so you're looking at about $500 total. Blue Eyes is there anyway you could take him in? To foster or something until someone you really trust could take him? I hate to think he'd be left there until they decide to put him down :(

Are there any people here who live between you guys who could do something possibly like the bunderground to get him from Blue Eyes to white lop??

Ohh lets do it. :) Morgan lives in SC so we'd need people in Western Arizona, NM, Texas, Northern Louisiana or Southern Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and SC, to get the bun to Morgan :)

That would be amazing! I could pay for the adoption fee and then go as far as Atlanta probably.
I know that seems insane, but I have a serious dislike for pet stores, including petsmart.
I would hate to think that that poor bun would stay there for however long and then they do something to him because they can't sell him because he's old.
People don't go to pet stores looking for older rabbits, they go in looking for adorable babies.

If we could figure out who would take him and how to transport him from state to state then I will take him!

You may want to also post on FB. That is how I was able to fill in slots when we bunderground railroaded from FL to NJ/PA. Flopsy Parker let me post on her page as well.

Best of luck! :pray:

*covers Becky's ears* 5 is not O L D at all!

It is do-able! I helped with the FL to NJ/PA transport (including having 10 rabbits overnight at my house). The bunny community loves to help get rabbits to their new homes.

Okay, I put in the towns you guys have in your profiles, from Buckeye, AZ to York, SC and here's the screenshot of states the bun has to cross:

0bfd48e7a2893c72fec3610db075f20e.png

Anybody in these states PLEASE help Morgan get this fella home.

I need to hear back from Blue Eyes to see if she (sorry if I got your gender wrong!) will be willing to help me.
Then we'll go from there! If Blue Eyes is willing to get the bunny (and I pay for it) then we can form a bunderground railroad to get him to me. Like I said, Atlanta is a 4 hour drive for me, so I can go to Atlanta. If there is anyone between me and Atlanta then I'll meet there.
Hopefully Blue Eyes will send some word back on what she would like to do!
Thanks y'all for being so supportive!

Wow, I'm off of RO for such a short time and look what all of you have come up with! I'm impressed. :biggrin2:

Morgan, if enough drivers can be found, I can be used as a proxy buyer for you (I think that's the correct term).

There's just no way I could take him since I'm bonding 2 new boys with my girl -- and that's already a stretch room-wise.

I wish I took his picture. Next time I'm "in town" I'll stop by and do so. (I'm about 30 minutes west of Phoenix)

This sounds exciting! (His name is "Scruffles" if I recall)

Okay, now we need to find people to transport him!
Once we find people to transport then we can go from there, I guess.
The next time you go to that petsmart, will you let me know how much his adoption fee is?

Just kidding, I'm about to call and see how much he is. Just so I have an idea and something to tell my husband, who has no idea that this is going on.
HAHAHAHA the perks of being a stay at home mom!

Latest posts

Back