Cookie & Twix (aka Cream!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Biscuit is still with us this morning.I have just taken him to the vet who can't find any obvious sign ofillness and thinks it may be related to an injury. iexplained that he got caught up in the kids football net 3 days ago,had it looped around his neck and reallystruggled.I saw him immediately and got him freeand he seemed fine after a lengthy check over from me. Thevet thinks he may have caused a bit of damage or swelling that iscausing the weakness. she gave him a huge dose of steriods,would have been a large dose for a cat, but she wanted to be on thesafe side anmd the side effects are that he should be more hungry andthirsty. I just have to keep doing what i am doing, keepinghim warm, syringe feeding and turning him if he is on his side. We goback on Monday 9.30am if he makes it that long. Please keepthe vibes coming, they mean alot.

Updates taken from another rabbit website I use:

Update 12.55pm:

I could cry. He has just sat up and although wobbly he is up, hasnibbled a little banana (and as I type has gone back to eating therest) I have put in for him and has groomed a little. Hubbyhas gone to get some vitamin E tablets and some natural yoghurt and istrying to get a small jar of baby food in pumpkin or greenveg. So far, he has not poo'd and had a manual bladderevacuation at the vets, but she did not offer to show me or offer gutstimulant even though i expressed that i was worried about his lack ofpoo :? :(

I hope he can hold on and fight to stay with us, I can't lose him too, he's just a baby, no age at all.

3.04pm

Thank you everyone. Biscuit is resting right now, which hewill need as I am going to try feeding a baby jar shortly (pumpkin,carrot & potatoe...is this ok, it was all my hubby could find?)

Jane, I only wish my vet is as good as yours, everyone should haveaccess to such a caring person. Unfortunately, our vet closedat lunchtime and we don't have the money that another vet wants for an"out of hours consultation" when we are not clients there:cry: It really should have nothing to do withmoney when it comes to animals welfare. I looked into PDSA,but don't qualify even though we get other benefits. I amfeeling frazzled as my youngest son is "special needs" or highmaintenance as I like to call him, although thanks to him I have about50 5ml syringes :shock: which have come in handy!

As for the bio yoghurt, it was something that my hubby saw on a websitefor floppy bunny syndrome and said at this point, anything was worth atry. I am worried about the lack of x-ray and the fact that Ihave to handle him to feed him, but he is not agressive with me inanway, I am as gentle as I can be whilest trying to force feed.

One a more positive note, he wee'd on his own earlier!Admittedly, he waited until I put him on a towel on the floor, but Idon't mind at all, so long as he is going. It has been over16 hours with no poo. I am rubbing his tummy while I amhandling for feeding and have given a dropper full ofinfacol. I feel like I have a newborn again.

We are fighting hard for him, but am very sad and angry that the out ofhours service want so much money just to see him, before doinganything. I really feel like we are being penalised for ourlack of funds in the emergency pot (Biscuit was neutered just 3 weeksago, so funds went on that), especially after we spent alot of the potfund on trying to save Cookie just before xmas and we didn't intend ontaking on another bun until we had built funds up again. Mygranparents had other idea's though when they rescued Biscuit andbrought him to us just a week after cookie went to thebridge. I never want to be in this position again.

3.21pm:

I have just picked him up for feeding time and when I lifted the towel,there were 6 poos! They are not a great size, but not tiny either. Ihope that he will start to pick up a little, altough he is still VERYfloppy.

7.15pm:

I fed Biscuit again at about 6.15pm. He actually is looking a bitbetter and acting my more like himself. After food and tummy rubs(there were 4 more poos when I picked him up) I placed him back on thetowel on the floor, so that he was sitting up. He washed his front feetand tried washing the rest of himself and was half successful. He thenkind of shuffled towards the litter tray and tried to get in, butneeded to be lifted in. He is now sat in there, has another wash, triedto wash his face and has eaten some of a nettle stix. I am happy to seethe change in him since this afternoon. I know he is not out of thewoods by a long shot, but I am not feeling as desperately down about itas I was earlier. I think that the good vibes are working

Edited to add: I have just seen him having a go at some of hispellets!!! I am so chuffed that he is feeling up to it. Won't stop mefrom setting the alarm every 3 hours during the night though

8.50pm

Oh my goodness!! The change in him this evening isamazing! After placing him in his litter tray, which heindicated he wanted to go to, I left him in peace for awhile. I have just been to check his tray, lifted him out toa nice pile of poo's and a big wet patch of wee! I alsonoticed he felt better in my hands when I picked him up and then, to myutter astonishment, he HOPPED back into the tray, completelycoordinated and everything :D . He is still noteating much, but having a little nibble here and there, so I think Iwill hold out on the 9pm fed I had planned and see how he goes beforedeciding if he needs feeding before bed.

I am still worried for him, but it has made me smile to see him actingmore like his old self. I am not exactly sure what I havedone, or if it is all down to him, but it is fab!

Phew!! After a very long weekend, Ithink that Biscuit is feeling much better! He finally startedpooing properly this evening. I saw him sitting in thelittler tray for a good 10 minutes eating cecals and then a while laterthere was a nice pile of poop as well! He still is notdrinking much thatI can see, but he is mainly eating vegright now rather than pellets and is wee'ing, so i think he will beok. I have just finished getting the veg ready for thembefore bed and Biscuit was the 1st to come circling around my feet,impatient for his dinner! I really am thrilled that he isfeeling much better, although I am still none the wiser as to whatactually happened. I have an appt to take him back to the vettomorrow morning at 9.30am (althouh they looked a bit dubious that hewould make it, and they way he was at the time, I doubted himtoo.) I plan on asking what they think it may have been andif they think the vitamin E and the potassium helped (googled floppybunny syndrome and saw a suggestion of vit e, thought it wouldn't hurtto try).

I will try and get some pics up of my little trooper tomorrow, but fornow I am exhausted after a couple of days of intensive bunny nursing,so am off to bed!

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Woohoo!! I am delighted that there has been such an improvement!!!:D Iwas very worried! But the little fighter pulled through, well done toyou, no doubt it is down to you that he is still with us:highfive:

YAY!!! GO BISCUIT!!! FIGHT, BOY!! :D

I'm so happy to read that he's all better now. I missed thewhole thing, as this weekend was my daughter's birthday, so I wasconcentrating on her.

I'm so happy everything turned out good, though...poor Biscuit...what a horrible weekend!! :(

Our hugs and love to you all,

Rosie and the Girls :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

We saw the main vetyesterday and heread Biscuits notes and said that he would be doubtful of a spinalinjury as that is what they used to misdiagnose EC as, but uponexamination of Biscuits spine, there is an obvious area of tendernessjust before his hips and Biscuit was trying to get away from the vetshands, so think the evidence speaks for itself. The vet says we did allthe right things and to take Biscuit back if we think that he is goingbackwards in his recovery. He didn't want to treat with panacur as hereally didn't think it was EC after seeing Biscuits obvious distress /discomfort when he examined the spine, so we have come away treatmentfree except to let Biscuit set the pace as to what he wants to do andwhen.

Needless to say, the football net has been removed from the grass tothe patio. I have more than learned my lesson, not sure about biscuitthough as he is just a silly boy!

Back