Conan the Bunbarian & Xena Bunnier Princess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I come home today and I find Xena chewing away at the foam mat, I mean truly just lazing about with her back legs kicked out just casually chewing apart the mat out from under her. :mad: I never had a good feeling about these puzzle mats and its just being constantly confirmed. The horse stall mat $50 and still going strong with no fade out and little chewing. These puzzle mats $40 the first set, replacement set another $20 and it looks like Ill have to replace it again. This time stall mat, who cares that it weighs near 100lb its rabbit tough!

Of course I also got to worry she ingested some of the mat. A little yes, but she's done similar before and chewed on other things. I'm not saying she's in the clear but i always keep an eye on her and so far so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KX_F-WDl6A&feature=youtu.be
watch

Photo Jun 28, 11 21 07 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 28, 11 33 35 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Date XIV

:woohoo YES!!! F&*K YEAH!!!:time:We had a breakthrough today, a long awaited highly anticipated moment of bunny bonding! First Xena did a full on flop during the date which was unique. She does those all the time in her cage, but not on a date. Then when they were close Conan actually groomed her! And I got evidence in video! It was all so sweet until they separated to self groom and wander around. Of course the moment had to get ruined when Xena got greedy and forcefully presented herself to Conan, he got angry and I think nipped and she started to box. I quickly shut that down, petted them and they went back to relaxing. But finally, I got to see bunnies groom each other, and it was fantastic! I am so elated and finally feel like I got some reinforcement that it can work, I'm not nuts, and my work has been for something. So a victory, but the bonding uhh...war (?) continues. The date went an hour, ended on good terms and we'll see tomorrow what happens.

Last edited:
That's so great! It just goes to show, even though rabbits may seem to dislike each other in the beginning bonding attempts, they can learn to like each other over time, with LOTS of persistance.

Date XV

This date was the step back I've been expecting but hoping against. From the get go Xena seemed amped for whatever reason, and both were tense around each other. The first 15min was a cold war, my wife then came for groom watching unfortunatly she ended up in the middle of a bunny battle and paid the price by being bitten poor thing. I feel horrible about that, I think I could have prevented it from happening but I couldn't get in the way in time.

She left to tend her wound (not too bad but it really shouldn't have happened) and I force calmed both rabbits by laying them side to side and petting. They don't like being forced into that position but if you pet them long enough they tend to calm down. The last 30min was Conan lambchopped by Xena's outstretched feet so they must have considerably cooled down. Stiil both remained a little too excitedbut no further incidents occured. So this date was definitly a set back from what was achieved the day before.

Date XVI

Another bad date. They weren ust spoiling to fight, well more so Conan then Xena but since Conan was mostly the unprovoked victim last date I cant blame him. It wasn't pretty,;the tried to fight but I stopped it from becoming. Spent the majority of the time being very hands on and active. My sister and neice are in town so I let them watch the date and when things appeared calm enough let my niece pet Xena. All went well and I think at the end both buns were relaxed. Date was shorter today due to lack of time, only 45min.

They are just bouncing back and forth with how those dates are going. Best of luck for another breakthrough soon!

Date XVII

An hour long date of some aggression, a lot of presenting and a little locking forheads together. Won't say it was bad but its a shame that it feels a bit negative since that one great date. Conan is carrying some scabs where his fur got pulled so I get why he's a bit on edge while Xena looks fine but very pushy, well at least tonight. Well the bonding continues...

Last edited:
Date XVIII

Today's date was an hour of ho hum, so I guess that's good. They laid across from each other for long stretches and did attempt two lunges but were easily disuaded from an actual fight. In fact a few times they broke off a confrontation on their own, just like the old days. The tension of the last few dates was missing as well. So all in all, nothing postive but no negatives so a succesful date.

Date XIX

Well 50 minutes of complete laying down next to each other relaxing comfortably and bam, they try to fight. Stopped it while they we're near lunging at each other but it was a shame it had to happen so close to the time I put them away. Oh well, at least it took that long for them to rile themselves up for it. They looked so cute next to each other side by side, it was nice while it lasted.

Date XX

Tonights date was much like yesterdays only no fight or attempted fight. Xena dead flopped and yawned several times while Conan nearly groomed her. I think he would he's just not crazy about the idea without getting groomed himself once too. I'm hoping this string of good dates and closeness means I might finally be getting over that hump. One can hope. One hour and all good.

Date XXI

A rough start where there was some lunges so I thought it was going to be one of those bad step back dates. Actually they ended up settling down and while I'm sure both were annoyed that neither groomed the other, Xena started to slowly curl up to Conan, something she has never done before. So I'm taking it as a good sign.

The whole date went on for an hour and ended on a really good note. I guess soon I should push for more time since today it looked like neither of them wanted to end it but I don't know if I should push my luck. I also feel like something good is going on but i cant quite say what, its just a feeling. We'll see tomorrow I guess.

Date XXII

Xena groomed Conan for the first time! !YAY! And then they promptly fought! !UGH! Seems Conan was the agressor, after he got groomed of all things. But then Xena was nippy all night, nipping me and everything. The date had big highs and small lows, but all in all i'm happy how it went overall. One hour, some tense moments but in the end all of us stretched out relaxing.

So now it seems these rabbits went from being mostly amibivilant to each other to either fighting or relaxing together. I guess that's some progress on month 3... Still I got to be careful cause and have zero tolerance discipline in keeping these tao from tangling because they do damage to each other quickly if its allowe to happen. So I never see if their lunging would turn into circling or kicking, which is a good thing, but then I also am not sure if it would be calmer then that and just the actions of two rabbits trying to establish hierarchy. Oh well, tomorrow is another date.

Date XXIII

Wow...I have video too, I'll add it as soon as it uploads but I needed to get this down. Xena groomed Conan, 3 times for many minutes. I was stunned. And they even had a small disagreement when Conan was being pushy. Xena nipped him, he backed off, and they settled down with no fuss. I was pleased and well, didn't expect it from Xena. Could have sworn Conan, even being grumpy as he is, would cave. Well technically he did last week, but still.

I'm elated, though its still tempered by wariness as i know these things take step backs. I worry again about how they may he getting too comfortable in the neutral space. Conan has his spot there and he protects it. I'd switch the neutral place but things have gone so swimmingly I'm a little scared to do it. They sometimes bicker between cages, especially if i've switched them. And then there's the whole i hit an hour on these dates and I'm not sure I cam do more then that on a daily basis. I can dedicate more time on my weekends, and maybe one day out of the week but not daily and I wonder if changing routine time like that will be detrimental. I got things to think about.

***** Hey the first 5 star!

Back