Conan the Bunbarian & Xena Bunnier Princess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you call fur pulling kissing? If so then it happened. Sigh...

Date 3

Happened, 15 uneventful minutes with a tone of aggression that persisted long after when they were back in their cages. Conan however did get extra treats and a new toy that Xena seemed to like so much better. Oh well. Oh and this morning Xena wen binky crazy all on our couch. Of course I missed it because they buns only do cute things for my wife while I'm not around.

,DATE 4

This date was smoother, rabbits ate, explored and relaxed just fine. Twice they confronted one another and they each took turns breaking off abruptly. Well three times actually, one of those I raised my voice and they seperated. I just wish I understood what the contention is between the two that keeps them from bonding but isn't severe enough to keep them from hating each other. Oh well.

Date 5

The buns seemed super relaxed, I saw Xena lambchop in a way I've never seen before with her back legs out and sideways and her front paws stretched out. Meanwhile Conan was hardcore grooming himself and had zero aggression. At one point when they were preelsenting for grooming I could have sworn Xena actually did groom him. I think, but it was much to brief to tell if it was grooming or just a few quick sniffs on his nose. Either way all was good tonight.

Date 6

Another fine date. Looked very promising as both ate over their greens and decided to make nose contact. They actually paused like that for a few moments before Xena reared up and Conan lunged, but it got broken up quickly and the rest of the time was spent relaxing. So no new successes, but no step backs either. Lasted about 25min.

Date 7

Went well. I have this gut feeling, based on little I know, but that they are getting along better. Tonight nothing really happened, and of course I only have these seven dates to go on since I restarted bonding, but it just seems if some confrontation does go down (two very brief flare ups) it's easier to break up, that they flop and groom just a little bit closer to each other, that their body language isn't as tense. Things have gone really smoothly for many dates with no back step so either one is coming or I really hope they've reached at least a timid comfort zone with each other.

Today I brought out a litterbox and some hay out. They had an initial dust up, the usual of both rearing up but it was extremely brief when I cut them off with my voice. I know some methods say to let a little bit of a tussle commence so they can establish themselves but with one of my rabbits getting injured previously I can't and won't risk it. After that they ignored the litterbox although occasionally one would come over to take a munch on the hay. They devoured their greens, and I've been noticing a phenomenon where Conan waits for Xena to eat first. Sometimes he joins her right after, sometimes he just waits until she's had her fill the eats herself. For her part, Xena seems to have stopped thumping at him and snorting. They both present for grooming and each one takes a turn and snapping away abruptly so I can't really tell how that's going just I'm happy it hasn't let to fighting. The only other brief confrontation was when I was lying with then, Xena was on my chest and Conan to my side. She wanted to go down but he was in the way so they had a flare up which again I cut off with my voice. I mean I can't have giants fighting on me now can I!

I lost track of time so this date went 30min. I think it's been helping a lot me only doing a date a day, unlike before where I was doing two a day 12 hours apart. Maybe so much date hoopla was stressing them. I hope that's the case. Either way I think I'll stick with that. Plus it doesn't help that I've been busier of late.

Right now my birds are having a tougher time then my rabbits. Their usual relationship is topsy-turvey with the usually submissive Oberon asserting herself in the cage because of her being a tragic mommie (4 eggs counting with no chance of ever hatching). Titania who's usually the dominant is often chased around or out of the cage, meanwhile when their out Titania is back to being the boss. Nothing bad from all of this, just different for them. Titania and Oberon have been doing this new thing of late where they bathe in the water dish. Titania is particularly hilarious as she's got her wings raised, turns in circles and make this cute warble noise. I need to get that on camera.

Date 8

A smooth date. I decided to lay down with them and they hovered all around me. At one point they were nose to nose while I was stroking them at the same time and we stayed like that for 10 minutes until I decided to break it off and see what happens. Well of course they lunged at each other but there was a brief moment where it almost looked like they would get along. Oh well, one raised voice call later and they went off to explore separately. I didn't mean to let the date go so long again, it lasted 35 minutes, but we were all so relaxed I figured why break it off. Anyway they both went back into their cages all quite and generally happy it looked.

Know one knows your buns better than you and you seem to be a vigilant daddy so I believe it probably is becoming more relaxed between the two of them as you feel it is.

I think if it came down to a tussle on top of you, you would come out the loser in it. :apollo:

Date 9

This date wasn't as laid back, and while nothing wrong happened aggression was definitely present. They laid down with me as before, and they did lay close to each other and had nose contact, but eventually one would get fed up and lunge. It didn't progress any further because I wouldn't let it. I know I should give a little bit of, uhh leash I guess, but again don't want to risk a second incident of injury. Still, even in defeat the positive I can draw is they just seem to be allowing themselves to get closer to each other for longer so it's a positive.

It sounds mostly good and they seem quite relaxed with each other most of the time. You do know them so well now so you can sense things before they happen. I am so rooting for these two again, I hope they sort themselves out ;)

Date 10

This date's mood was a continuation of the previous one. They were their usual selves but as soon as they got too close each would lunge. Well, kind of lunge since it looked like instead of going forward to do it they were back pedaling, not actually trying to make contact. Maybe that's a good thing?

Anyways I did two things I probably shouldn't have. One I forced them to lay side by side right next to each other while I pet them. As long as I was petting them they were all right. At least when I let them up they peacefully went their separate ways. The second wrong thing I did since the day wasn't going well and I had to shorten it was I put them in the bathtub together to rattle them a bit. Oh they were rattled, either sitting perfectly still or huddled together. Regular date went 20min bathtub date went 10min.

Date 11

This was a better date then the previous one. They ate, they used the litterbox though at one point Conan did chase Xena off but both rabbits enjoyed the petting and attention they got from us. That is of course until we decided today would be check up day. We promptly clipped nails and examined teeth, All was good. Of course when I put them down Conan decided to vent his frustration out by nipping Xena and pulling fur. Thank goodness Xena didn't react. The date pasted 40min.

So I've run about 60+ dates and nothing really has changed. Seems like if this is to happen its going to be a long time in coming. Oh well. The shame is Im leaving for Europe for two weeks and so can't bond them, though my wife said she'd give it a try.

Date 12

So I cheated and snuck one more date in before I left. Probably better off to not have done that, since it was an aggressive date. They attempted to brawl after long stretches of nose-to-nose confrontations but I squashed that hopefully quickly enough. It felt like the date was headed to this confrontation and I wish I had the days to continue so they can sort it all out. Oh well, maybe the wife will do that. Either way it wasn't too bad, just not positive either.
'

Hi folks, I'm back from my vacation/business trip. I went to Ireland and Bulgaria, countries I've been to before but still always a great experience and I do love to travel. Two weeks, two countries and a relaxing time. Sadly I think I gained weight, but then the food was too good and too hard to resist. I did miss my pets however and while I was away no bunny bonding occured, so I guess I'm back to square one again. This is like the third start over but I'm a patient fella.

Came back to find Xena blowing out her coat, heh just as Conan finally finished blowing out his. Otherwise she's been her good at being bad self. Tearing things up, making a mess, chewing accidentally stray cords and all the usual wild hijinks she gets into to. Friendly and cute. Conan is his usual stoic self, though I'm starting to think he's a bit tubby but last I checked two weeks ago (and he doesn't look much different) he was 13lb 13oz, which is about average for a buck Flemish. Behavior wise we love that he's so relaxed and we can trust him completely and leave him out to wander everywhere unwatched during his time out. But man do I wish they were bonded already. They'd have so much more freedom, so much more fun. Oh well lets get back in the saddle.

Date I (Or 67 but who's Counting...Sigh)

Twenty minutes, no litterbox but greens available. Definitely seems we are back at square one, as they spent the time wandering around, occasionally eating and eventually just avoiding each other when they would get close. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing but I guess that I just have to accept it really is like starting all over again. So a good start I figure.

Sadly I noticed that my bunnies find me strange. They're avoiding me a bit and will submit to being petted but I know for a fact Its me forcing myself on them and not because they're letting me. Damned strange scents I brought home, now I can't even pal around with my little family... :boohoo:

Last edited:
Date II

A twenty five minute date that went well, some signs of aggression but no all out brawls. Though I did use the spray bottle which I havent done in a while so who knows what it might have turned into. Tomorrow I think I'll tub stress date them.

Noticed a fascinating phenomenon today. My wife comes in from work in the morning and both rabbits run up to greet her! They have never done that for me, not even Conan for feeding time. Then my wife casually mentions to me they do this all the time with her!!! I mean c'mon, I'm the primary slave for these little stinkers, I toil and that's the thanks I get!

Well at least I can live vicariously through my wife, they cant take that away from me so HAH!!! Yeah, that'll show them...sigh.

I know the feeling. I pet Twigs and give him treats and he likes me but I can't get him to sit near me. He always sits on the ottoman for pets. But he'll come and jump on my husband and lay next to him. Really! So not fair.

Date III

This one is what we like to call a family bonding date. Me and the wife, the birds, and the rabbits all at the neutral territory for a rabbit date. We like these moments because its the only time we can have them all out at the same time. It's cute seeing two rabbits eat from the veggie dish but have you ever seen two rabbits and two birds do it? Very cute. Anyway the date went well, nothing ground breaking, a lot more confrontations and a bit of aggression but nothing outrageous and no setbacks. So, just all around fun.

Date IV

Is it too optimisitic being overjoyed by a very little thing? Todays date was great, completely chill and the bunnies and I were relaxing. What got me really pleased was for the first time ever Conan and Xena ate their greens side-by-side. See the plate is pretty big and usually they just eat from opposite ends or one at a time, but today they did so right next to each other! And zero aggression! The whole thing lasted 30min and ended just as peacefully.

Tomorrow I got a person from the Rescue who I believe is also affiliated or knows people from the HRS coming over to help woth the bonding. I mean sure things are going well but its been at a stalemate for so long and its going to be nice having someone more experienced overlooking to sound off if things are going the way I believe they are. I'll update tomorrow on how it goes.

I love reading about these two and hope we are getting towards the final steps to a stable relationship. Glad to see they´re eating side by side which sounds really positive. Any help or advice is welcome...hope that things are moving towards a June wedding.... or July lol.

Latest posts

Back