Cat attack on my poor BK

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not looked at the pics yet, but I am certain they are fine. Taking them is a great idea. I have done the same both with the purpose of being able to show the vet...and to refer to later to educate myself or others. I think many of us have done that.

You could always post the photos on a separate thread in the infirmary section. Put a link from here to there...and entitle the thread so people are warned that they are "graphic" injury photos.That way members could decide on their own whether or not to read. But the way you've handled it is great, too.

Don't know about flushing the smaller wounds. I would suppose that it wouldn't hurt...especially if any of them are open or raw.

And don't worry about BK's personality changing. It is so obvious he knows he is loved and being helped...look how he is fighting to recover and live. Perhaps he will become fearful of certain things and you might have to change his lifestyle a bit. I can tell from how committed you are to his current care that you'll make the right decisions when that time comes.

Keep up the good work. Give your sweet daughter a big hug for my household and tell her not to give up on that vet career just yet. I have a vet who cries with me when we lose an animal...don't know what I'd do without him. It's comforting to take my animals to someone who loves so much.

-Mary Ellen

lemonaxis wrote:
Questions:

Is it necessary to open up and flush out shallower wounds as well?
They seem to be healing well and I wonder what the chances are of abcesses forming.

BK does not want his hot water bottle and prefers to lie on cooler surfaces, probably for comfort. Should I really be trying to keep him warm when he has a temperature?
His temperature is 39 degrees.

Got any insight, drop us a line. :p

Thanks for updating us!

I would concentrate on the more serious wounds, but still keep checking the minor ones for any signs of infection. Maybe treat them routinely with a bit of Neosporin. The initial cleaning was the most important factor.

How long did the vet suggest opening and flushing the wounds?

Normal temp for rabbits is 101F - 103F.....39C converts to 102.2F, so he really not running a fever. A very good sign!!!

Here's C to F conversion table:
http://www.sensorsone.co.uk/temperature-units-conversion.html

Keeping in mind that I'm no vet.....
Infection is a concern, but I'm not sure if abscessing would be.
As long as he was healthy and his immune system wasn't compromised prior to the injury, I would think the the first-aid treatments and antibiotics would be sufficient to ward off infection.

~Jim

PS: As for that cat ..:X... I'll keepmy opinion in rein, rather than risk my reputation as an animal lover.

woahhhhhhhh looking at those pictures sent cold shivers down my spine... BK is one lucky boy... you've taken very very good care of him... that cat was in serious attack mode... :grumpy:
fingers, toes... everything crossed that he keeps improving, you're doing such a wonderful job

Well been back to the vet today.
Will be on my own for next week with him at home as vet has given me all the penicillin, baytril, painkillers etc that I will need for him. All sub-q applications.

Good news:
The hole at top back of his head is healing extremely well and no longer needs to be opened and flushed. It has sealed over with no sign of bacteria build up.

All his more minor scratches and little holes have all happily healed well.

His limp has gone.

He is perky and eating okayish and is hydrated well.

Bad news:
The nasty hole on his neck is very very deep indeed, when flushed today, it held a full 7ml of fluid!!! He is so lucky the bite was not closer to his main veins and arteries in the region. Vet said it looked much like the cat had dragged BK for some time before releasing him and tried to get a hold on his neck for the jugular grip. Of course. This hole is very scary for me as now needs to be flushed 3 to 4 times a day. No scabbing allowed and will take up to 2 months to heal.

Thank you for asking JimD, very sweet of you. I am okay. Have had my tears but these could be because of a combination of issues rather than this incident alone. Sleep deprivation and a tiny baby with serious colic :) has taken its toll. My older 2 childern are with their dad for next 2 days so can focus on just the 2 babies;)

If you have looked at my thread under bunny blogs you will have seen my huge ginger tom. Well he is Henry and he weighs 11 kg to BK's 2kg! Today BK was back on form, he wildly chased poor Henry off the couch and so the battle resumes!! lol.

BK really hates Henry.

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo glad to hear BK's doing well. :bunnyheartIt sounds really scary. I must say that BK is a very lucky bunny to have a mommy that cares that much about him.:goodjobI know lots of people if in your situation would have given up and killed him.:( We're allhopeing every thing turns outfine!!:group:(I'm sure it will).

Keep us posted,

-TK

lemonaxis wrote:
Bad news:
The nasty hole on his neck is very very deep indeed, when flushed today, it held a full 7ml of fluid!!! He is so lucky the bite was not closer to his main veins and arteries in the region. Vet said it looked much like the cat had dragged BK for some time before releasing him and tried to get a hold on his neck for the jugular grip. Of course. This hole is very scary for me as now needs to be flushed 3 to 4 times a day. No scabbing allowed and will take up to 2 months to heal.

2 months can seem like a long time, but you can do it. Be prepared that the flushing may get a little tougher as BK regains strength and feels better. (As Stewart's neck incision healed I still had to do the rinsing...and he became more impatient with it...but we persevered and you will, too.)

Try to get a little rest while the 2 children are away...nap when the baby sleeps (if that happens :?).

We're all thinking of you!

-Mary Ellen

Im so glad to hear little BK is hanging in there. He must be a very strong little guy.

Re: your concern about abscesses forming in the infected area, is he on injections of PenG or Bicillin? If so, this should help ward off those nasty abscesses, although its no guarantee. Are you giving the shots SubQ and how often? (Sorry if you mentioned this before). I know my vet told me to give PenG once a week and that was wrong, its every day (or Bicillin is every other day).

Hopefully youre giving those injections, that should help the healing. Hes so lucky to have you. Bless you for doing so much for him.

*hugs*

Haley

There are many meds not available here for bunnies, either its that or vets are unsure of dosage! The vast majority of vets in New Zealand are novices at treating rabbits.
Prices and prescriptions vary a lot from vet to vet.
For example I rung up 20 or so vets for advice on BK's treatment.
I had advice such as:

He does not need penicillin, baytril alone should be fine.
Flush the wounds with salt!
SubQ is too much of an ordeal for a rabbit in his state
Have him put down, its the best thing to do.
Your treatment will cost up to $1000!!!!
We do not treat rabbits, sorry.
The wound will heal over fine by itself, just leave it.

I have settled into this routine::D
SubQ baytril once a day
SubQ penicillin every 3 days
Flush wound 3 times a day as already there is some yellow fuids leaking from it
Feed him via syringe if needed
Rehydrate him every 3 hours if I see he has not touched his water
Metacam as needed although using this minimally
SubQ fluid/electrolytes if needed

No other painkillers have been available without insane cost.:(

So far have paid only $150 for all vet appointments AND medication. My vet is compassionate, admits to short comings, phones around for best advice, is in touch with BK's needs and respects my decision to try save his life. She also knows I am on a budget and genuinely can not afford hundreds of dollars. In return for her generosity I will be re-designing her business card for her...lol

As you can see I seriously had to hunt down this vet;)

BK came with his name, I think its such a cool name. I got him from a lady who could no longer have him around as he chewed everything and their landlord would not have him either.

Bk doing well today, a bit skitish and nervy but looking for cuddles all the time so thats good. He is nudging my foot right now and licking me, so cute. Lovely soft blue bun, so affectionate.
I feel kinda silly but am so tempted to post under the Bunny Chat forum as BK seriously thinks his Mum has lost the plot sometimes.:cool:

lemonaxis wrote:
He does not need penicillin, baytril alone should be fine.
Flush the wounds with salt!
SubQ is too much of an ordeal for a rabbit in his state
Have him put down, its the best thing to do.
Your treatment will cost up to $1000!!!!
We do not treat rabbits, sorry.
The wound will heal over fine by itself, just leave it.

It makes me sad that so many vets feel this way, I know both the ones in my town are like this. :(

I'm so glad BK is feeling better, keep up the good work! :)

Thanks for the update! I've been keeping an eye on this thread to see how he's doing. Keep up the good work! Wow, having a colicy baby along with this is certainlya stressor. Go, BK!!

You are doing an awesome job with BK!!!!!

Baby asprin can be use for pain.
I'll have to search out the dosage info.... unless someone else knows off hand??

I had our Chippy in to the vet recently and she prescribed Ketoprofen (in syrup) for pain. Aweeks dosingcost me $20.
Chippy made a very quick (almost uncanny) recovery and I didn't need to use all of it. I've got 5 days of it left. If there were a (legal) way to get it to you I would.

Maybethere'sa way we can get a mentoring program set up for this kind of situation?
A few very rabbit savvy vets that would be willing to devote some time in serious cases?
Maybe like a "E-mail the Experts" type of vet=to-vet network?

My vet reminds me of yours...except for the money thing (she works for a chain store type setup Banfield/Petsmart). She pulls out the books and make calls to get the best info. She LOVES my bunnies.

Oh yeah...one more thing...

***said in a neener-neener voice***
"BK came with his name, I think its such a cool name."

Is this teasing or what??

WHAT DOES "BK" STAND FOR !!??:?

~Jim
Nose-rubs and a BIG hug for BK.
Someone needs to buy you a day at the spa when this is all over!!!
:biggrin2:

Oh, I did'nt know you could use baby asprin, is there any other pain relief you can use? Just storing it in my little head for future reference! :)

BK does not stand for anything, its just BK (beekay) lol ;)

Although feel free to have a bit of fun...:p

I like:

Bunny King :dude:

Be Kind (to bunnies of course!!) lol :bunnydance:

B@#%!! Kat (da one that got me) My mummy says she's on death row. :cool:

Better Katch! (I throw my toys around)

Bums Klean ( lol my Mum washes me every day)

Big Kisses ( I have a foot fetish, my Mum's feet smell funny)

:D

Be Kwik !!
Sometimes I am eating or playing and then I dash madly across to my litter box, sometimes I don't make it and I get so embarassed I have to hide behind the couch for an hour or so until the laughing stops. Rude Mum!!

Bun Klose
This is a special crawl I do when at the vets and they are trying to take my temperature. It has the vet and my Mum in stitches. Sometimes, rfol, it takes them 20mins to try take my temperature. Well how would you l
ike it??:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back