Cat attack on my poor BK

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lemonaxis wrote:
Replies to your postings....
Yes salt rubbed into a wound is cruel! I feel like a fool for packing the wounds with straight salt! However I immediately sort advice, flushed out the salt and dressed the wounds with Betadine Iodine that I got from the pharmacy. The only good thing the salt might have done was combat the bacteria from the cats tooth but admittedly it was crued first aid. :(

I'm just catching up on this.

I'm wondering if honey could have been used in a situation like this. It has wonderful antibacterial properties.

Watch for signs of shock as well as tending to his wounds.

Is he getting any pain meds?

Sending prayers and good thoughts.

~Jim

:pray:

I little off topic....
I got bit by something today, suspect a spider. The only thing I had at hand was some alcohol swabs and some table salt. I cleaned the wound and then used the salt as an astringent to attempt to pull out any toxins. It seems to have worked, but boy did it sting.

~Jim

Hi All,

Another comment from me. This is another example of why you need a plan of action to deal with an emergency. It's not a question of "if" you are going to have an emergency....it's "when" you have an emergency. And we all know the horror of needing a vet immediately but having to travel a long distance with a sick or injured bunny. I have been guilty of this in my early days and know how quickly I became panicked when something happened. If you ask medical people....either human or animal medicine....there are protocols set up to deal with emergencies...basically triage. It's nothing but a trouble tree to follow. While each emergency is different, a plan will keep you centered on the correct road without the panic. The keys are learning how a rabbit works, learning how a rabbit responds to different issues and coming up with a plan to steady the ship. As I have mentioned to many of you in a PM, a sick bunny is nothing more than a ship on an angry sea. The thing is to "steady the ship". If a ship's captain over corrects, the ship may roll over and sink. Same thing with rabbits. Get back on course. Know what happened and know how to respond to get back on course. Same as the ship's captain, if you over correct....the rabbit may roll over on you and that is not good. Don't panic, don't over react and think "steady as she goes". Plus, the rabbit will sense your panic and react to that too and make things worse. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best....but be prepared.

Randy

Bk has become limp and unresponsive. I am not going to post anything until an outcome has been reached. I will let everyone know if he passes away but from now on, time on my laptop is time away from my minilop!! Thank you and...well not really much else to say except that I still have an eerie sense of hope.

Ay Ay Cap'n (hehehe :biggrin2:)

Seriously, Randy, great idea to have a plan of action. I've got a little "bucket" of bunny supplies in the cabinet that are my first line of defense when something is up. It includes Critical Care, Benebac, syringes, Desitin, cornstarch powder, styptic pen, and some other items I can't think of now.

Anyway, perhaps you would begin a thread where you list some of the must-haves for emergency planning with their uses.

Or is there already a thread like that on RO? :anyone:

(There is so much to read here that I often miss things.)

Thanks, again, Randy for responding to this thread.

And, Lemonaxis, do keep us constantly updated on BK's condition. We're all pulling for him.

-Mary Ellen

Aw, lemonaxis, I'm so sorry that BK is not doing so well.

I'm desperately hoping he will be ok.

Hang in there and let us know anything if and when you can.

x

lemonaxis wrote:
Bk has become limp and unresponsive. I am not going to post anything until an outcome has been reached. I will let everyone know if he passes away but from now on, time on my laptop is time away from my minilop!! Thank you and...well not really much else to say except that I still have an eerie sense of hope.
Hang in there, little pal. We're praying for you.

Sending prayers and good thoughts. :pray:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bunnicula wrote:
Ay Ay Cap'n (hehehe :biggrin2:)

Seriously, Randy, great idea to have a plan of action. I've got a little "bucket" of bunny supplies in the cabinet that are my first line of defense when something is up. It includes Critical Care, Benebac, syringes, Desitin, cornstarch powder, styptic pen, and some other items I can't think of now.

Anyway, perhaps you would begin a thread where you list some of the must-haves for emergency planning with their uses.

Or is there already a thread like that on RO? :anyone:

(There is so much to read here that I often miss things.)

Thanks, again, Randy for responding to this thread.

And, Lemonaxis, do keep us constantly updated on BK's condition. We're all pulling for him.

-Mary Ellen

Here's the link to our Reference Library information on First Aid....

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12045&forum_id=10

I've got awell stocked kit in the bunnie room and I've got a compartment in the fridge.
A list of phone numbers is taped to the wall by the phone....including 24/7 ER and driving directions (in case I'm not home).

The last thing I want to do is run around wasting time....when I could be calmly thinking of a plan.

~Jim

I hope BK will pull through -- My thoughts are with you two. TF

After an emergency vet arrived at my house this morning 2am, he offered to put BK down and said there was very little chance now etc etc. This vet is an aquaintance of mine and lives in my area. Not at all rabbit savvy though.
BK is however alive and its 9am. I held him all night and massaged the capillaries in his ears to control his temperature.
On our way soon back to our normal vet.

As for preparing for emergencies, I also have a little med kit for first aid. In NZ there is very little support for rabbit owners. Most rabbits are hutch bunnies, there are local forums but they are merely attached to other sites.
There is a breeding community but the concept of a house rabbit is not well known.
I too had the number of a rabbit savvy vet on the frigde but she went overseas a few days before the cat attack. I am now relying on an excellent vet, but she is not that experienced with bunnies.
I am sure other NZ bunny owners may choose to back me up when I say that mostly we are on our own, hence the reason I am on an offshore forum. The US and UK have large and supportive rabbit friendly societies. We do not. Largely rabbits are seen as the cute little critters confined to cages, are referred to often as rodents and below average intelligence.

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this! I know you are doing everything in your power. It really stinks to not have the appropriate resources to help your baby. I can partially relate to that. This is rural hillbilly type area and rabbits are for hunting here. The local vets can't treat them, so it is a long drive to get to one that can take good care of our babies.

I've just noticed this thread and realised you're from the rabbit lovers thread on TM...I didn't know BK was getting worse :(, I'm so so sorry.

You're doing all you can and you have so much love for him, I bet he really feels it. Right now he's probably feeling like crap and it's hard to know if anything you're doing will cheer him up or not :?.

I can vouch for this!

"I am sure other NZ bunny owners may choose to back me up when I say that mostly we are on our own, hence the reason I am on an offshore forum. The US and UK have large and supportive rabbit friendly societies. We do not. Largely rabbits are seen as the cute little critters confined to cages, are referred to often as rodents and below average intelligence."

It's the reason why I'm here...without rabbitsonline I'd be screwed when it comes to bunnies. I really hate the NZ attitude, where rabbits are seen as little kids pets and something to be swapped and traded when bunny is no longer 'cute'. Most vets looks down their noses at rabbits as just a mindless eating and pooing machine.

:pray:

We'll be waiting to hear from you after the vet visit.

~Jim

NZminilops wrote:
I really hate the NZ attitude, where rabbits are seen as little kids pets and something to be swapped and traded when bunny is no longer 'cute'. Most vets looks down their noses at rabbits as just a mindless eating and pooing machine.

That is also how rabbits are thought of by a lot of people in the UK, like they are disposable pets that just sit in their cage 24/7 and you feed them once a day. :(

I hope BK pulls through, good luck at the vets!

BK is a little hero!! :):):) He has just come back, has had subcutaneous fluids, more pain relief, I shaved around his wounds again, flushed them and fed him some baby food via syringe. What a change, my little man even has a hint of his attitude back, lol.
The vet I see works with me with regards to his health as she is not overly confident in handling him as BK hates to be touched by anyone. I have learnt so much from this incident and from this site. BK walked across the room at the vets and although we are all quite puzzled over his 3 hour "limp and lifeless" state from 12am to 3am this morning, I can only guess he may have needed a super deep sleep to help with the healing. It was downright scary though, so floppy, rolling eyes, limp limbs...

Hello to NZMinilops!
Thank you Moominmoo, JimD, Bunnicula, Sarahsop,Tkbunnies, Angieluv, Ra7751, Haley, Ellisian, Angelnsnuffy, Binkies and anyone I have missed.
The path to BK's recovery is just beginning but I think one small battle has been won.
Would be good if people's attitudes to bunnies were well researched, with an added dose of compassion for these beautiful creatures and time well spent with them before judgement is passed. I have only owned rabbits for a year now so I am a novice of course;) It helps being a Mum to my new baby, 5months old, my 5 year old and 11 year old because good old fashioned motherly love has its place in the more complex and sophisticated needs of a sick rabbit. Or even a healthy one.

Latest posts

Back