Cat attack on my poor BK

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ellissian wrote:
I thought of a really good one with him being male, but I can't post it on the forum! :)
lol. Not hard to guess what that is then.

A little word of caution about aspirin. It's oneof those drugs that are like Jeckyl and Hyde. Not all situations are appropriate for aspirin use. Remember that aspirin is a blood thinner. It seriously affects the clotting action. So it should not be used to treat pain from invasive incidents....like bites, cuts or prior to or after surgery. In other words, if the bun has something that is causing bleeding, aspirin may not be the best treatment. Also keep in mind that contusions (bruises) are also bleeding under the skin.

GI pain is another time I would avoid aspirin. Think of many reports of people suffering from ulcers from aspirin use. And the climate in a rabbit's gut is much more acidic than a human. Gastric ulcers can form easily during a stasis or other GI event. The stomach lining in a rabbit is quite thin. Bad things can happen.

If I were to use aspirin, it would be for something like a muscle strain or something like that....it would have to be a situation where there was no possibility of bleeding. Just a thought for everyone to ponder.

Randy

BK is doing ok. Today I was horrified to find a hidden little hole on his chest but thankfully it has healed well and looked shallow too. The 20 or so scratch marks are almost completely healed. I have more pics if anyone wants to see them. Just the big hole on his neck left now to flush out 3 times a day. There has been fluid build up underneath it and this is of concern. Hopefully the antibiotics will be working a bit of magic for us.

BK is eating well now and no more syringe feeding. He is also well hydrated and overall, I am starting to feel very positive about a full recovery. Only time will tell and of course I will only really begin to rejoice when his neck wound is healed over.

Thank you again to all members, admin and mods. I feel like I have had a few friends to talk to when the dark times seem to drag on hour by hour.

I will keep in touch, will routinely add to my bunny blog and let you know when BK is back to full health.

When he is well ( I still can't believe it myself :) I would like to get a little doe friend for him. He has been through so much. Maybe in about 6 months to a years time.

Very proud of BK.
Way to go little rabbit :D

Just finished reading this thread for the first time from beginning to end and let me say that you and BK are my HEROES!!! :highfive:

[align=center]Rock on BK ![/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]-Beth[/align]

BK OK ;)

He dreads the flushing of his neck hole and its sad to see him try run away from me when its time to flush out all the bacteria build up. Man, I tell you !!!!! I simply cannot believe how large it is and how deep it is!!!!!!!! The wound spreads over the size of a large coin and its alarming to think of an abcess building up as it would be huge.
Vet said the hole is barely 2 millimetres from major arteries and veins.

He is eating well and is finally off syringe feeding.

He is very depressed though, ignores his toys and "mooches" a lot.
I cuddle him lots just so he knows that when I touch him, its not always to hurt him.

Not sure what to do about his general unhappiness.

He hasn't shown much interest in anything, sleeps a lot and just lays around. Quite unlike himself. But he is sick so will have to be patient.

lemonaxis wrote:
BK OK ;)

He dreads the flushing of his neck hole and its sad to see him try run away from me when its time to flush out all the bacteria build up.
Stewart was like that when he had his neck surgery that I had to flush. The better he felt, the more he fought me. I thought for sure he would hate me forever...but I also knew that I HAD to do it for him to live.
He is very depressed though, ignores his toys and "mooches" a lot.
I cuddle him lots just so he knows that when I touch him, its not always to hurt him.

Not sure what to do about his general unhappiness.

He hasn't shown much interest in anything, sleeps a lot and just lays around. Quite unlike himself. But he is sick so will have to be patient.
That isn't really unusual behavior fora sick animal (or person). I takes time to get back to yourself. He may feel better (evidenced by the fact that he eats and fights your cleaning his wound), but I am certain he doesn't feel his very best. That will take time. I would think that the "unhappiness" is based on his physical state along with the fact that he went through some real mental trauma. If the vet was right, that cat was downright brutal to him. I know I would struggle to "come back" after a vicious attack, and I've got to believe that animals react similarly to us in those circumstances.
Give BK time and love...just like you've been doing. He needs your affection and understanding all the more with what he's been through. You've been doing a marvelous job with him. Hang tough and remember that you've got friends on the forum who are here for you.
-Mary Ellen

It's great to know BK is still fighting :)

Instead of thinking of him as moping, try to think of him as putting all his energy into getting better as opposed to wasting energy running around and playing.

He's probably pretty much like a baby atthe moment, because he probably needs to sleep a lot to help his body recover. With rabbits it doesn't always look like they are sleeping because their third eyelid allows them to sleep but with their eyes open.

Hang in there, you're all doing brilliantly.

You know that makes perfect sense, animals are of course much like their human counterparts and I know that I have taken a long time in the past to recover from serious hurt.

Thank you Moominmoo and Mary Ellen. Sometimes an objective view is far better as when one is stuck in the situation, its harder to see the big picture.

BK is a lovely little man but the more I think about it, as much as would love another bun, I feel I just could not handle it if anything like this happened again.

I could never have a rabbit free house though:D
When I was very little (around 4 or 5) I got my first rabbit. I accidently smothered the poor little thing on the first day I got it by wrapping it under the covers in my bed. I thought the bunny was cold. I was horrified and traumatised. My parents were furious. I never got another rabbit until year ago.

That rabbit was Lila, she died of no specific causes, then Jane who died of a huge abcess on her wind pipe. I had her put down after a brave struggle by bothof us as she was starting to have trouble breathing and eating!!! So I suppose you could say that I am heartbroken.There are pictures of these beautiful bridge bunnies in my bunny blog.

So BK HAD TO BE A SUCCESS story!!!;) I don't blame myself for their deaths but I sure think about it a lot. They are both buried in my garden. I absolutely love rabbits. They are sweet, humble and unassuming little creatures, dependent on our care for their needs.

I love my BK:):):)

I am so sorry to hear about your losses of your previous bunnies. It must have been very difficult for you to lose your first bunny so young and in such a traumatic way. But you can't blame yourself. You were a child and couldn't have known what you were doing would result the way it did.

My Nanna used to tell the story of how my uncle wrapped his goldfish in a rag and placed them on the radiator because he thought they looked cold in the water. She found them when cleaning...and it was way too late. But he was doingwhat he thought was the kindest thing.

I am so glad that BK has you to love him. I think that is what is really pulling him through. Hang in there and give him some extra snuggles and kisses from me.

-Mary Ellen

I'm soooooo glad to hear the good news!!!! It's great that BK is recovering. I have no idea what you could do to cheer him up. Mabey given him lotts of his most favorit treats.
Here's a big hug and a snuggle from me...

:groupparty::hug2::hug:

Thinking aboutall of you,

-TK

Bk is doing very well overall!! :dude:
He is still quite depressed but at least now, I can cheer him up with a few things. I have been putting him outside in a cage over the top of delicious grasses and other yummy greens. He loves being outside and I think being stuck inside all day was getting to him.

His neck wound is now holding about 2 to 3ml of fliud so there has been a big change. It is extremely important that the hole heals from the inside out and not the other way around so I have had to continually take the outer "scab" off ( a bit yuck) and flush it. Saw vet this morning and she is very happy with his progress :):):)

Will be on antibiotics for another 10days and assess from there.
He has put the lost weight back on and is almost back to himself. For a rabbit, his recovery has been amazingly fast. It was 2 weeks today that he got attacked.

Latest posts

Back