Can you please help me? :'0(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry about the poor doe...I hope all is doing well.

Anyways I hate to break it to you but you are not going to be able to get her spayed due to of her old age. Basically if you wanted to get her spayed she needs to be younger;in the case she isn't.(Which I forgot how old they are suppose to be). As me being part of 4-H and being an ARBA member,vets will not spay a rabbit at that age and that is risking the doe. Also, it is very hard to find a vet that will deal with rabbits. The reason why they probably don't to deal with them is because they probably won't survive. With in that case is not true...if you have a heart for the rabbit and you are postivie that you can save the rabbit,then you can save that rabbit.

However, my one Holland Lop. He had snuffles when he was 4 weeks old. Now I asked every breeder what should I do. Well everybody wanted me to take him to vet and I didn't want to because first of all he still needed his mom. And second I was thinking postive that I can try to save him myself. So, me and my mom went to this store where they have all livestock supplies. So then I gotten this stuff called Rabbit RX and I used it for a few days. On Christmas Eve I didn't hear no wheezing and sneezing and he didn't have trouble breathing. But even though I'm 17 and I like to challenge myself with rabbits. All I basically wanted for Christmas was him to get better. Of course on Christmas Eve I gotten what I wanted and he is better. After when I know that snuffles was gone from his system I knew I caught it in time. And I even talk to this breeder and she said that I was sooo lucky that it didn't spread like wildfire through out my whole entire rabbitry and I'm aslo glad that none of my other rabbits gotten.

But anyways don't give up without a fight and just think positive! :)

Btw, I wanted to mention. It's not only the fact that it would cost a fortune to get from here to Lachine by taxi, that prevents me from going. It's also the fact that my fiance has spinal atrophy and is wheelchair bound. Therefore, it's a bit scary for me to leave him alone for an undetermined amount of time.I try to balance all things at once and I just feel overwhelmed at times. Lol. :p

Awww I'm happy your bun is ok! Yeah you are right about the vets not wanting to risk it. That is the exact reason they told me they didn't want to touch her since they felt it was unnecessary as of now. I only found out this year about spaying and neutering :?Luckily, forums like this and other organizations are promoting awareness and saving other owners this heartbreak and saving bunnies' lives.

Transportation is very hard for me and my mom too. Due to that my dad is trying to run a cleaning business and tyring to get more money so he can get his own car and for me to get a car is very hard. However, I hope he does get more cleaning accounts. First of all yes I do want a car but I don't care what the price will be as long as the car is cheap and it runs and not too old. I told him I want a car that is from 2000,but I doubt he won't get a car for me at that year.

But oh joy I have to leave about an hour or 2 to bring my rabbits to the fair and get tjem checked-in. I wonder how Miracle (the one had snuffles) will enjoy check-ins. hehe :) I call Miracle the devil. Ever since I saved him he is extremely nasty! And the good part is that when you stick your fingers in his cage he'll bite you! So, of course even though rope is there to close of the cages so nobdy can stick there fingers in the cage to pet the rabbit. Welll with me and my mind I decided to leave him on the bottom so just in case if somebody sticks there fingers in his cage he'll bite them and next time the people who come to visit the fair can know and learn how to read the signs! :grumpy::biggrin2:

MsBinky wrote:
It's so easy to say 'get her to the vet asap' when you have one available and one who is willing to act on it.

This is true, but remember that not everyone on here has a vet at easy reach.

I had a vets that I thought were good until they made a mistake that killed one of my rabbits launching me into a vet-less situation that I hated. I was very fortunate to stumable across one that was suggested on here and to be impressed with what they do. So I can relate to not having a decent vet, even though mine was not as dire a situation as yours is (in terms of vets I mean).

When we had our bleeding pregnant doe we sought the advice of vets but did not actually take her. So why did I say take yours to the vets? To sit on the side of caution, and I personally probably would always say that on here because via the web we can't know the situation and also we are not vets.

Also, I still remember my first 4-H project. I love my first rabbit Rockie who was a Mixed. I believe when Rockie was 5 years old we had a very very small house fire...well a kitchen fire. After when the firefighters came to make sure nothing else was wrong with house I wanted all of my animals out of the house which I did give them fresh air. After a week later I notcied that Rockie wasn't eatting nor drinking. I started to get worried and my mom told me ge is going to the vet in a week. Sadly, when I came home from school I noticed that he was lying down not being himself. So, I told my mom that he can't wait another week he needs to go now! So, that is when my mom called up the vet and said that we needed to come now.

When we arrived they brought him in right away. So, then I told the vet it might be his teeth.And the vet said nothing is wrong with his teeth. After that the vet was listening to his heart and the vet said oh noo,I doesn't said good. That's when I paniced. His lungs had smoke in it when we had the fire. And after when the vet told us, I asked him what about his teeth? When the nurse was there she gotten VERY nasty with me! I said hey I'm paying you to fix my rabbit and not letting him die! And I gotten extremely angry with the women. And she was such a b*tch.

Anyways, after what happened to Rockie I will never ever go to that vet for my rabbits not even dogs because first of all the service was horrible and they were extremely nasty and didn't know or care about rabbits.

But I do know 2 vets that know about rabbits. But oh my god it is sooo expensive!

Anyways I hate to break it to you but you are not going to be able to get her spayed due to of her old age. Basically if you wanted to get her spayed she needs to be younger;in the case she isn't.(Which I forgot how old they are suppose to be). As me being part of 4-H and being an ARBA member,vets will not spay a rabbit at that age and that is risking the doe. Also, it is very hard to find a vet that will deal with rabbits. The reason why they probably don't to deal with them is because they probably won't survive. With in that case is not true...if you have a heart for the rabbit and you are postivie that you can save the rabbit,then you can save that rabbit.

hopntail, buns can be spayed/neutered at virtually any age, as long as they're in good health otherwise. Most rescues will have buns far older than 3-4 ysars altered as a rule!

Have you checked out the Bunny 101 and health library sections of this site yet? There's a ton of info. in both that I think will be very helpful to you - as it has been to me, and many other folks (and buns, of course!)

Bunny 101 link: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=17

Spaying and Neutering info. thread: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12040&forum_id=10

However ec that is completely not true that rabbits can be fixed at any age. That is completely false. I've been to vets that know tons of things about rabbits and they said only when they are young. And with me dealing in 4-H they told me the samething. But that is pushing it for that rabbit at that age to get fixed and the rabbit will get stressed. I've been dealing with rabbits and been in 4-H for 7 years and I know what I'm talking about. :)

4-H doesnt recommend spaying and neutering, correct? So is it fair to say them may be a littl misinformed on this?

Our rescue spays and neuters rabbits at almost any age. Granted, the risk does increase as the rabbit matures, but usually bloodwork can help rule out any risks. Most rabbit-savvy vets will recommend bloodwork if the bunny is over 2-3 years of age.

But I know people who have had their rabbit altered starting at around 3 months all the way up to around 7-8 years.

From personal experience, I had Fredrica rabbit spayed at age 7 and she lived to be 13 years old. Eugenia Victoria was spayed at age 5 and she also lived to be 13. Coney was neutered at age 5 and he lived to be 15 years old. I would not hesitate to spay or neuter a healthy 'older' rabbit. None of them ever appeared to be stressed by the surgeries and all recovered quickly. One of my friends on another board had her bunny Flash neutered at age 12. He is going strong at age 14.

The key is a good rabbit vet and a healthy rabbit. I figure neutering at an older age is much preferable to cancer.

I agree, I had a 3 year old spayed this past May? I think. She did wonderfully! Took a tiny bit more time for her to recover, but she was perfectly fine. MyBabyBunnies also had her 5 year old spayed without a problem too :). I rather take the still small risk at an older age to spay then roll the dice with uterine and ovarian cancer.

How is little Wiggles doing? Has anything changed?

I will try to convince the vet to do the spay if we can do blood work and rule out any major risks. :)

As for Wiggles, well today she is flopping on her side a lot more than usual. She is eating more hay than usual but less pellets than usual. She is drinking as normal, and also peeing and pooping like normal. She seems tired and hot so I am keeping a close eye on her at the moment. She is still very alert and she does come to me when I open the door to pet her. She is really enjoying those rubs right now.

Thank you for asking.:)

MsBinky, glad to hear that Wiggles is doing better today! BTW, you might want to take a look at this site (medical info. about rabbits) and maybe print out some things for the vet: http://www.medirabbit.com/

You could also print articles on this board, or found at links posted in the health section of this board - should help!

Re. showing (in 4-H, at least), altered rabbits are automatically DQed. (To my way of thinking, this is very unfortunate, but I'll save that for another thread... ;))

How many days pregnant do you think she would be by now if she were still pregnant?

It might be that if she lost the babies when she bled that if this is nearing her due date, her body might be getting ready to get them out of her system. The day or so before a rabbit goes into labour they often get quite quiet, and given that if this is labour, it's probably not going to be overly easy or normal, you are going to want to have to watch her really closely.

You should be able to feel them kick by now. If you can't, then she probably lost them and you need to watch her ever more closely. It may be hard for her to pass dead kits.

If you can feel them kick, then everything is hopefully moving along as it should.

Sharon

I also wondered whether this might be the first signs of shock or infection starting to show.

I'm getting a bit fidgety. I don't expect babies really but I do want to see at least something come out so I know she is ok. I'm going to go have a good feel and see if I can spot something. What are the chances that she was never pregnant or nothing actually developped? Also, she should be at ther 29th day now I think. This is if we count from the first day that she and Bam-Bam were together. I heard that it could take a few tries before a doe of her age could be pregnant. Should I count from the very first day or should I spare a few? Also, someone mentionned using raspberry leaves.. Would this be safe? When would be a good time to feed her some?

Raspberry leaves would be safe, but if she is not used to them, you will have to introduce her to them slowly.

You need to look at the whole window, from the very first day she was with him, and count 28 days from that (so this would be the minimum), and then the very last day she was with him and count 32 days from that (so this would be the maximum), any day within that she could give birth.

But yes, it is possible shewas neverpregnant, and if that is the case, then you could easily be facing uterine cancer, and the bleeding might have been an indication of this.

I would say to watch her behaviour very carefully because if she deteriorate further, as in eating less, more lethargic, hot (you might want to buy a thermometer to help you with this one) or cold, then she will need a vet asap. I know what you said, when things get bad a vet can sometimes be the only hope they have; but hopefully it won't get to that.

Don't count the first day. So if you bred her (say on the 15th) then day 1 is the 16th.

Hope that helps. Also, keep in mind that she could have complications so watch for signs that she is distressed and in labor.

Sharon

I would say its highly unlikely that she was never pregnant. Especially due to the bleeding, its too much of a coincidence.

In my opinion, she was pregnant and the bleeding was a miscarriage. How many days are you at now? If you cant feel the kits, she doesnt give birth and you've hit the 32 day mark, you should definitley get her to a vet so they can get those dead kits out.

Latest posts

Back