Can you please help me? :'0(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was referred to you guys by a fellow bunny lover andI hope you can help me...

I have a 4 year-old bunny is preggy. It was an accident, I didn't wait long enough after the male was castrated before letting them play together. She should be at about 20 or 21 days now. I have palpated her and think I have felt something though I do not know if she will actually have babies. All was going well, yesterday she made her nest. However, today I let her play a bit with Bam-Bam because they were lonely and when I came to separate them, I noticed that Wiggles had some blood on her bum. I checked out the cage and found spots of blood. I have been a bit panicked since and i have tried calling every vet imaginable but none are open on Sundays. :(I'm really scared.

Will she be alright? Is she losing the babies? Is it a hemorrhage?

I appreciate any help I can get!

Oh dear.

Welcome to the forum, I just wish it was under better circumstances.

You do need to get your rabbit to a vet asap, an emergency one will probably be the only way to do it.

It could be some sort of bizarre miscarriage (we had this when our bun tried to reabsorb her litter too late), so might have somehow be triggered into early labour and be having some problems, or maybe she has uterine cancer or many other possibilities, none of which are pleasant.

Please try to get her to a vet.

In the meantime, I would say keep her warm, and keep her hydrated and make sure she is eating (if she isn't try to help her with maybe syringe feeding or her favourite fresh foods or something)

How is she in herself? Eating? Drinking? Pooing? Weeing?

Hang in there, please keep us updated.

Where are you located?

I'll move this to The Rabbitry, one of the breeders may have some good advice.

Has the bunny been bred before? A first time mom at four is a dangerous situation to begin with, they're considered to old to be bred for the first time at just over a year old.

I'm not sure how much an emergency vet can do. She'll probably need an emergency spay, soa rabbit savvy vet is pretty important. If she's only 21 days or so, at least the chances of her having a stuck kit are less than if she was full term.

As noted, keep her warm, watch for hergetting pale and lethargic. Keep her hydrated.

Hopefullysome breeders are on line with more seasoned advice.

sas :pray:

Hi, ty for the welcome, I too wish it had been in better circumstances. Lol.

I tried every vet in the phone book that deals with bunnies. :(I am in Montreal and I think it is the worst place to own a bunny! I agree that it seems to be a miscarriage. I'll be honest, I do not care much if she has no babies, but I really want her to be okay. This bun in particular is very special to me. I am keeping an eye on her and she was eating and drinking but now she is just lying down. I know that her eyes were yucky so I cleaned them out. I will keep you updated.

Thank you:bigtears:

Has your rabbit ever had babies before? if she hasn't she is really to old to have a litter and the babies will probably be dead and there is a chance your girl won't have an easy time if a baby gets stuck then it can be life and death for you r bun, I'm sure others will tell you the same. Keep a close eye on her tonight and as Tracy said make sure she is pooing peeing eatng and drinking.

Personally if it was me i would take her to a vet first thing in the morning and get her checked out.

Sorry if it sounds harsh i hope she will be ok. Keep us updated:)

Hi Pipp,

Yes unfortunately it is her first time. I had wanted to have her spayed and abort but the vet refused, saying it was too dangerous at her age and that he saw no reason why she couldn't have her kits. I have never been convinced but I was hoping for the best. I am from Montreal. My regular vet does check ups and minor things but doesn't do operations though he is such a nice man that I wish he did. I have been in contact with another vet who deals with exotic animals but, being from Montreal, rabbits are rarely taken in other than from the SPCA. I am keeping a very close eye on her but I feel so helpless without a vet to take her to. :(Thank you so much for posting in the Rabbitry section. I didn't want to post all over the place, especially it being my first time here. Lol. A breeder may indeed have an answer as I am sure one of them must have dealt with a bleeding bunny at some point,

Thank you so much for all your help!

I think you were very sensible to ask for a spay. Are you sure that that vet knows about bunnies? Because any vet that knows anything about rabbits would know that it is dangerous for a bunny to be a first time mum after the age of one.

Most likely now, as Pipp says, if the vets did anything, it would be an emergency spay, but they might also ultrasound her to see if they could figure out what is going on first.

I urge you to get her to a decent rabbit savvy vet asap, if that is tomorrow morning then so be it, but she needs to be seen.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm guessing that she is losing the babies - as a breeder, I've been fortunate and never had that happen.

I would definitely take her in to see your vet first thing in the morning if you can't get her seen today. Here are some things I would want to talk to him about (knowing he won't do a spay)...

a. Can he/she palpate the rabbit to see if there are any babies?

b. Can he/she give oxytocin to make sure that she has any babies that she still might have? (I'm not sure if that is wise - I'm going to PM Randy and Pam Nock to see if they can chime in on that one).

c. Can you give her antibiotics to keep her from having an infection if she has lost the kits or aborted them?

I think that the main thing to do right now is to keep her warm and hydrated and it would be great if she would eat some too...but especially keep her drinking some fluids.

I wish I had better advice or more advice for you. Please keep us updated.

Peg

Our Quebec vet list seems to be missing, but here's a few, if you didn't see this elsewhere...

Dr.Martine Jobin
Hopital Veterinaire des Seigneuries
387 Samuel-de-Champlain,
Boucherville, PQ
Phone: 450-449-7277

Dr. Jean Gauvin
Clinique Vétérinaire Lachine
1295 Provost
Lachine, PQ H8S 1N7
Phone: 514-634-4190 / Fax: 514-634-8754
http://www.cliniqueveterinairelachine.com

Hopital Veterinare Pour Oiseaux et Animaux Exotiques.
6090 Sherbrooke Ouest
Montreal, PQ
Phone: 514-486-5258

Hopital pour Oiseaux et Animaux Exotiques
4580 Chemin Chambly
St. Hubert, PQ
Phone: 450-443-1461

This is not meant to sound stupid ... just covering all the bases. Are you positive it is blood and not just red urine? How much blood? A little may not be a cause for worry however, a lot means that she could be hemorraging (sp). Is she having contractions?

I definitely am telling you that if you are sure it is blood, I would bring her to the vet tomorrow morning.

Keep us posted. :pray:

Sharon

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for everything. I have called all those vets. All are closed. I was however transferred to the DMV centre but they do not deal with exotic animals. She has kept my phone number and a technician will call me asap. I am would obviously have taken her to the vet if one had been opened. Grrrrrrrrr I so dislike Montreal for that. Lol.

I am positive that it was blood. I triple checked. There is not a lot though or I'd be in the ER myself, my heart unable to deal with panick at this point. Lol. I am terrified of her hemorrhaging which is my real concern. I am less concerned if she loses the babies. (I don't want to be mean but her health is my priority).

I hope to get her to the vet tomorrow morning if possible. I myself have an emergency health situation so hopefully they won't coincide. I think I'd still choose the bunny over me though. Lol. I would be but my fiance will notice and probably won't have it that way. Grrr.

I'm so scared and I feel terribly hopeless. Plus I am so so so mad at myself for letting this happen. I had Bam-Bam neutered but after my mother-in-law repeatedly complained about the cages and put him and Wiggles together after she and my fiance convinced me that I must have misunderstood about having to keep Bam-Bam away for a month. :(* Hits head against the wall repeatedly * I'll bawl my eyes out terribly if something were to happen to her.

Btw, the 2 vets that I called that supposedly 'know' about bunnies both told me they never heard of age being a factor. Yeh right. :XI was told bunnies are not like guinea pigs and as long as she is in good health she'll be okay. One told me that if she got into trouble we could do an emergency caesarean. But only once there were signs of trouble. Grrr. Well they are closed today anyway. *Sigh*

Oh the tech just called

She says that I can take her to Lachine if there is a change so that they can stabilize her. They do not know much about bunnies but they would do anything possible to help. She also says that she is not too concerned because Wiggles is eating and moving. She told me to call my vet tomorrow morning to check and see what is going on with the babies and all that but as long as there are no contractions she should be okay.

Again, thank you.

If she is eating and drinking and acting like herself...this is a good sign. Just keep an eye on her tonight. Give her a favorite treat. Keep her quiet.

Sharon

Oh geeze, Im so sorry to hear about your little one. Sounds like you are doing everything you can with what you have.

I understand why your vet didnt want to spay since the risk does increase as they age, but I would think the risks involved witha first time pregnancy would be much greater. Hopefully they will be able to assess whats going on tomorrow and go from there.

I'll be keeping your little one in my thoughts and prayers. Its good shes eating and pooping.

Haley

Sounds like she may have some stuck kits in her. Best thing to do is to get her into the vet first thing in the morning. If she has any kits in her the vet will give her a shot of oxytosin. In the meantime you can try giving her gentle tummy rubs to help induce labor. Do you have any raspberries growing around your house? If you do you can feed her some of the leaves. They are a natural remedy to help induce labor.

Well I have been keeping an eye on her since I found the blood. All is good... She hasn't lost any other blood since. She is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping plenty. She is moving around plenty though she really likes a good rub so I have been sitting by her and giving her a good rub though I must be carefulbecause if I touch her in the wrong place she'll bite my hand off. Lol.

I was wondering...

She has pulled out A LOT of fur. What are the chances that she ingested quite a bit and could have caused the problem? Anyone know?

Its normal for girls to pull fur for their nests. If she has ingested some, it wouldnt be related to the blood. It would cause a blockage in her GI tract, so its good that shes eating and pooping. That means no blockage. Keep her eating lots of hay though just in case she does ingest some hair..

Thanks

I know it's normal but I couldn't help hope that maybe it was that and it had caused her to strain.Not that it is much better... Lol. She is doing fine this morning though so I am keeping my fingers crossed. The vet I called doesn't want to do anything since there is no other sign of trouble. She says the stress of taking her to the vets might cause more problems so as long as there are no other signs of anything wrong, she should be ok.

Fingers crossed...

The chances are pretty good that she WON'T be okay. Seriously, find another vet who knows rabbitsand get an emergency spay ASAP. Are you near any of the ones listed? I'd travel pretty far to get this done now. A bunny dyingin labouris a horribly long drawn out and painful way to go.

sas :(

Pipp wrote:
The chances are pretty good that she WON'T be okay. Seriously, find another vet who knows rabbitsand get an emergency spay ASAP. Are you near any of the ones listed? I'd travel pretty far to get this done now. A bunny dyingin labouris a horribly long drawn out and painful way to go.

sas :(
I agree. I lost two buns to labour and it's so awful, and those were both with vets treatment.

Latest posts

Back