Can you please help me? :'0(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well - time to get a new vet then. There is a good chance there could be retained kits that will cause an infection. She needs to be seen ASAP just to make sure everything is ok.

Sorry - but your vet is wrong about this.

Peg

MsBinky wrote:
Thanks

She says the stress of taking her to the vets might cause more problems so as long as there are no other signs of anything wrong, she should be ok.

Fingers crossed...

I have no other vets. The other is in Lachine and I can't get there. :(I really hope nothing goes wrong. If something happens though, our regular vet would take her in and let me know if it's too serious. I would rather have her put down than watch her suffer. :(I really hope it won't come to that. All those vets, except one,listed are really far and I have no one to take her. *Cries* In a few days Mario will get his paycheck so maybe I could take a taxi all the way to Lachine but that is still in a few days.

This really sucks.

It's very important to get her to the vet to see what's going on. We're not even certain that she is carrying a litter, so it's difficult to recommend any type of action to take or to even speculate what is going on. Uterine tumors are very common in older rabbits, so this could also be a factor.

The bleeding could be a serious situation that needs to be evaluated by a veterinarian ASAP.

Pam

Hi,

I'm very sorry to hear about your doe. But however, the age that she is right now you can never breed rabbits at the age nor start at that age. Anyways just FYI you mentioned that you let her play, normally when does are pregnant you never let them play in a huge pen just let them stay in there cage when they are pregnant and whenthe kits are born. And when your doe plays of course they do cork screws and everything (well I'm not sure if your doe did that) but when I doe has too much exercise when they are pregnant that isn't good that is when early labour will begin.

But then again anyways when I've started to breed I read anything and everything on sites and books and asked breeders and what I mentioned above is true. But anyways that is my own opinion of that might have happen....but still I hope getting her to the vet will be good and of course if you bring her to the right vet that of course does rabbits and you found them lets hope they will know something. lol

Good Luck!

Hi guys

I agree that the bad thing was letting Wiggles out to play. I just felt bad because she was so lonely and wanting to see Bam-Bam. I realize that I should have taken Bam-Bam to her cage instead. I was watching her however and she wasn't like running or jumping much so I thought it would be ok. I think that may have caused the bleeding. I have found nothing since. I haven't let her out but I do sit with her for a few hours here and there to give her a good rub and keep her soothed. She sure enjoys that a lot. She is eating plenty, drinking, peeing, pooping, and she is very alert. I'm not trying to palpate her or pick her up now as she hates it and I don't want to stress her out.

Thanks for all your advice and insight :pink iris:

Hi,

I'm glad she is doing very well. I see your doe hates being picked up,when I breed my does and when they are almost due they don't want you to touch them nor there belly because they are sore.

Glad to hear she's doing ok right now. If you cant get her to the vet for an emergency spay, keep a close eye on her as she approaches the 30 day mark of her pregnancy. If you see her straining at all or she does not give birth during the following daysyou need to get her to a vet asap.

Most likely she has had a miscarriage. If shes does not give birth those kits will be dead inside her. The vet can either surgically remove them or try to use a mix of antibiotics on her. If nothing is done she will go septic and die a horribly painful death.

We actually had this happen to one of our member's precious girl. It was devastating and heartbreaking for all of us.

Please keep an eye on her and get her to the vet at the first sign of trouble. These next few weeks are critical.

I truly hope that it is that she is ok, and past this :)

But, like the others have said, there are far too many things that can go wrong from this point onwards, so keep a close eye at the very least.

I am definitely keeping an eye on her. I wouldn't let anything happen to her if I can help it. You may think I was careless, and I agree it was dumb, but I cried for so many hours when I had realized my mistake with Bam-Bam. You have no idea how frustrated I am with the lack of proper care here for bunnies and with myself for causing it. I did however contact my regular vet and we did agree that if she does not give birth in a few days or something changes, he will see to it that she gets those babies out. I guess he meant the antibiotics like you said. He still doesn't want to do anything because he is not convinced that she actually lost anything. Heh. I dunno. This vet is at least better than the other who actually does the operations. I wish they had listened to me and just done the spay when I asked. Not only to save her this dangerous pregnancy, but also to avoid the cancer. Instead, because she is healthy otherwise, they don't want to touch her due to her age. I wish I had known about the importance to spay before she was too old. I am planning on having Dahlia spayed as soon as I can find someone to take her to the more experienced vet. Wiggles doesn't like to be picked up but once I scoop her up with one hand at her neck and one holding under her back feet she calms down immediately and snuggles. I was doing this only to palpate her. She hasn't been coming out of the cage since the mishap. I am hoping this will all be over for her soon.

I'm sorry to hear about your bun. Although I have no experience with pregnant buns but in April my pregnant guinea pig started spotting blood, I took her straight to the vets and her babies had sadly died inside her. The vets gave her a c section to remove the babies as I knew they would turn toxic fairly quickly.

Please, take your bun to a vet asap or at least feel to see if the babies are still moving inside her.

If you are correct on your dates (not meant to be rude)...lol...then she is about 24 days along. You shouldn't expect her to have anything for another week.I would palpate her in a couple of days because by then you should feel them kicking. If you don't, then they may be dead.

Hope all goes well and keep us posted.

Sharon

BTW, are you prepared if she is pregnant? Do you have a nestbox?

Ty for the info. I had no idea when I'd be able to feel them moving about. I have a question though. I heard that they can have them anywhere between 28-32 days. Can she have hers in 4 days? She is a mini-rex. I do not know if the breed changes something... Yep she is all ready, though I am not sure my emotions are. Lol. She made her nest 2-3 days ago and she sleeps in a box besides her nest. Go figure. Lol. She is in a large cage and secluded where it is a bit more quiet though there are still a lot of comings and goings because she gets awful lonely.

Question:

If she does have babies, is it recommended to change the bowl of water to a bottle? I wouldn't want one drowning... Though I figure they might be big enough once they start moving around that they won't drown? Do babies figure out how bottles work? I prefer a bowl myself...

Generally rabbits tend to give birth on the 31st day.

If she has babies then you can keep the water bottle if you like. I used a bowl with mine, and placed it as far away from the nest as possible and we had no problems, but we did have to regularly check the babies to make sure no one had rolled about. The babies will learn how to use a bottle, they will watch mum and copy. It just needs to be at the right height. It might also be an idea to have more than one bottle because only one bun can drink from a bottle at one time.

In all honesty though, it's probably unlikely that she will have any alive bunnies. But you might find that she delivers some dead kits, or maybe some deformed looking lumps. That is, if she manages to deliver them.

You are correct :) She could have them anywhere from the 28-34 day. However, majority of does have them on the 30-32 day.

I use water bottles as I have had the doe move the bowl and a baby drown in it. The babies learn quick...it is so cute. Just lower the bottle. Add another one because as the babies start to drink, they can empty that one bottle in a matter of hours.

Sharon

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but based onthe research I did afterGeorge's bunny jumped in with Sakura and Sugar, the impressionI got was that the chances of a four-year-old rabbitwho has neverpreviously been bred surviving the birth are not good at all.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the lack of action and the talkof kits, here. :( Am I missing something? This doe has already experienced premature bleeding.

sas :?

I have bred rabbits that are older...One was 3 years old. It just depends on the doe. As a rule, it is less likely that there will be complications if the doe has her first litter before she 12 months old.

Unfortunately, since the doe is acting normally and there is no signs of distress, there isn't anything that she can do. Just have to wait to see when she goes into labor. Most vets will not do a c-section when there is no signs of complications.

Sharon

I have been avoiding this thread as I really didn't need anyone or anything to make me feel worse right now but I felt I needed to explain a few things to you first. I didn't feel like sharing personal details but I guess I will be judged as insensitive and simply careless until I did.

First of all, all my bunnies are rescued bunnies except for Dahlia. All those rescued bunnies were to be put down or used as food for snakes when I got them. I got my first one at the age of 16. I was working, paying to live at home, and paying everything I needed myself. When my bunny Toutounne got sick, my parents refused to pay for treatment. I got a second job to pay for her treatments and I went to numerous vet appointments, doing a billion tests to try and figure out what was happening. Meanwhile, my other bunny Grizouille also got ill with the same thing so I treated her as much as I did the other. Shots of anitbiotics, I have done too many to count. I syringe fed them, cleaned them, and held them throughout their seizures. Finally, I had to put them down because it was too pitiful. All of this cost me about a good 500$. Ihad justgotten Wiggles at the time (before knowing the other two were sick of course) and I was also desperately trying to save her life.Luckily, the vetpitied her and didn't charge me for most of the stuff. No one thought she would make it. I dunno if you have ever dealt with a babybunny who has been in so much pain that it broke it's teeth from grinding them but I have. I made her every puree imaginable and syringe fed her. I didn't sleep at nights and I held her in my arms wrapped in a blanket to keep her warm. I wiped her eyes, her nose, her paws. She couldn't even walk for how bad the infection on her hind legs was. Then one night she seized and I thought for sure she had caught what the others had and I'd lose her. I held her and kept her from hurting herself and then I cradled her through the night. Despite all the odds, she pulled through, surprising everyone who had seen her. Later that year, while working at the pet shop, an older bunny (about 9 months-1 year) who still hadn't been adopted just charmed her way into my home. I bought her as a present for my mom. She was, and still remains the smartest and sweetest bunny I have met. My mother adored her and pampered her like no other. One day, while doing a routine check on the buns, I realized that she had developped malocclusion. From then on, it was regular visits to the vet. Luckily, he only charged 5$ to trim them, even when anaethesia became necessary. Maybe a year later, the malocclusion got very serious and before we knew it, her top teeth had curved into her gums. She couldn't eat properly and I was terrified. I took her to the vet and he was able to cut her teeth and remove a good part but not all of it. She developped and abcess and though we did everything we could think of, we ran out of options. The other vet had decided that an operation to remove her teeth would not succeed as the infection had spread into her respiratory track. The morning I had called in to have her put to sleep, she took a rapid drastic turn for the worst, and I held her tight as she took her last breaths and died in my arms. All in all, I spent about 1200$ on those 3 bunnies and I am still paying off my Visa. I spent it knowing that there was a good chance they wouldn't make it, but I never gave up on them. Not once. Not even when the vet suggested I save my money. I loved them too dearly not to fight for them. :cry1:

This month has been full of the unexpected. I saved a bunny from being euthanised but then put my Wiggles in danger by giving in to pressure. To top it off, I was rushed to the ER for a near respiratory arrest and then told I had pneumonia since November. I was then rushed to the ER to be hospitalized for my heart. I have been in and out of the hospital since, and bills piled on quickly unexpectedly. However, despite all this, my attention was on Wiggles. As soon as I saw the mistake I called both my vet and the vet specialized in exotic animals (he is affiliated to the SPCA and Quebec Rabbit Shelter and comes highly recommended). I feared pelvic bones setting and was utterly confused when both told me they had never heard of this. I was completely discouraged with the lack of knowledge from both vets. When I found that blood, I was terrified. I called every place I could think of, including some that I knew didn't deal with bunnies. The one place I got through was the emergency animal hospital called the DMV Centre located in Lachine. Both the first person and vet tech told me that even if I brought her in, they had no idea what they could do for her other than what I was already doing. I monitored her all night, and followed your advice as best I could. On monday morning, I called and both told me that as long as there had been no other bleeding, and that she was as active as she was, they didn't want me to move her, stress her out, or handle her too much. They would not do a caesarian at this point and they definitely would not do a spay, they said. One vet offered to do an emergency caesarian if, and only if, she started to have contractions (or if she was straining to pee) and nothing was coming out. My vet told me that if her due date comes and passes, I am to take her in and then he will check what is going on. He told me that if there were babies in there he'd get them out. He did not tell me how however. I have been monitoring her since, there has been no other blood at all, and she is eating and drinking as she normally does. She is just as active as usual although she does plop herself on the side when she gets tired.

I understand that everyone here loves bunnies and try to do everything they can to protect them. I do not however appreciate being made to feel as though I am unworthy to own a bunny. Especially, since I have rescued as many as I could and did everything I possibly could to save their lives. I wish I had a car to drive them down to some place whre they actually knew more. I wish I had even half the resources many of you have. If I did, maybe my 3 other buns would not have died. I am doing everything in my power right now to give her the treatment she deserves.I do not expect kits, nor do I want any if it means putting her in jeopardy. I did ask for an emergency spay as soon as I realized the possibility of her being pregnant. If I ask, it is because stranger things have happened and I do want to be prepared if it does happen.

I want to say a big thank you to those who have sympathized, offered advice without making me feel like a completely insensitive person, and to those who have pm'd me to offer words of support and ecouragement. To everyone, I'm sorry for the long post but I had to get this off my chest.

Sincerely,

A very emotinal MsBinky:tears2:

:hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2:

Firstly I want to say sorry if I was one of those people that made you feel bad, because that was never my intention, and I am terribly sorry if anything I did say, made you feel that.

I also don't think that anyone intended to make you fele unworthy of owning a bunny, people are just concerned for the bunny, and it is hard when the bunny is at a distance to know what is going on, if that makes sense. I know I have thought about this thread a lot because I had a pregnant doe start to bleed during her pregnancy and your thread touched a nerve with me, and if I thought about it, I'm willing to bet other people did too.

Ok, I'll start with your other three buns. It sounds like you did everything imaginable to help them survive, you went above and beyond the call of most rabbit owners, they were very lucky to have you (as are your current bunnies). Sometimes rabbits do die, no matter what we do to try and save them. I suspect that given as you did everything possible that no matter what else was done, they would probably have died anyway, which is sad. Please don't say they might still have been alive if you had better resources because, like I said, they could easily still have died.

It sounds like you have a lot of health issues, and I'm sorry you are suffering them. I have found that my bunnies help me greatly when my illnesses get the better of me, so I am glad that you have buns, and also I hope that they help you when you are feeling bad.

I don't really know what to say about your current bunny problem other than it is clear you are doing what you can for her.

I'm sorry you felt the pressure to reveal things you didn't want to reveal.

MyPM box is open if you ever do want a chat.

Please hang in there and look after yourself.

PS, I saw this post about an hour ago but my computer went arse over tit, so apologies for taking a while to post on here.

:hug2:

I am not mad at anyone. It's just uncomfortable when you already feel at a loss and then others add to it without realizing it. I know that people here care, that is why I am not mad. It does sadden me though when people don't understand why I am not doing more at this point.I don't want to be categorized as one of those 'careless' peeps. It's so easy to say 'get her to the vet asap' when you have one available and one who is willing to act on it. I'm hoping that the younger vets will have more training on how to deal with bunnies. I do still like you all, and even more so after seeing how passionate you all are.:hug:

I still cry when I think of my other buns. I knew what I was getting into when i took them home but it doesn't change the pain.The death of mymother's bun was the most heartbreaking thing I have experienced. It was terribly rough on my mother who has sinced refused to get attached to any other bunnies. It sucks that instead of turning her into a passionate bunny-lover, she now avoids them. I still can't help but wonder if more could have been done. :cry2

Anywho, I am still looking for a way to get Wiggles to Lachine. This month has been just so bad.

Thank you for your kind thoughts :bunny19

Latest posts

Back