Cadbury's come to stay with us....forever (R.I.P.)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ZRabbits wrote:
Have you seen the litter boxes that have a valley like box for older bunnies? That may help you get him off the wee-wee pads. I know with senior bunnies and kits, having a lower side to get in is helpful. They don't have to jump in the box. They can walk in the box. Just a suggestion.
When my Tootsie was having such a terrible time with her back, I took a large litter pan and cut one of the ends down. It allowed her to walk into the pan.

When Tootsie went to the Bridge, I gave the pan to my Gracie in hopes that she'd start using the pan instead of peeing/pooping all over and then laying in her mess.
She decided the pan made a good lounging box and she doesn't use it as a litter pan.....but at least she isn't laying in her pee anymore.;)(she still pees/poops all over her pen)

I'm going to buy another large pan and cut the end down for Cadbury. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Petco sells a jumbo pan and the pee pads would fit in it nicely. Hopefully he won't lounge on the wet pad after he uses it!
If I can get him to start using the pan, I'll put down a large towel for the bottom of his pen.....he hates the slippery/smooth plastic mat I'm using.

****think like a bunny, think like a bunny, think like a bunny.....yeah right :?****

It may also be a sign of insecurity. When I first got Indiana Bunns he would pee on the floor and lay in it. I think it came from living in filth for so long. Eventually he did learn to use a box, but it took a couple months.

Indy was blind and deaf so it took a while for him to settle into the new surroundings. Unfortunately he was only litter trained the last two weeks of his life. At least he knew love before he passed. :(

So....

Around 10am there was a knock at the door.....
***knock-knock***

My pre-programmed response.....
*** "Who's there?" ***

CADBURY'S WHOLE FAMILY !!

Yeah, I was so surprised to see them!
Dad, Mom, and little sister (hoomin kind)!

They were so happy to see Cadbury, and were amazed to see how much he had improved.
I think Cadbury was happy to see them, too.

I think Mom was a little anxious to see how things were going. I'm not sure she was comfortable about leaving Cadbury in the first place.
Dad apologised for not coming by sooner. Seems he went home and found that Cadbury had been using the carpeted floor under the bed for his litter pan. He tore up the carpet and cleaned up.....and then had a massive allergic reaction.
His face was so swollen that the skin had started to split. Yuck-poo...akkkk!!!!

I can imagine that it affected Cadbury in an equal way.
The ammonia from his urine must have been overwhelming.
And I'm sure it was the reason why eyes eyes were so bad.

I also found out that he was attacked by the family dog a couple of years ago. That's the reasonwhy they had set him up in the bedroom.
I'm thinking that's probably when his back/hindquarters were possibly injured.

***UPDATE!!!****

His eyes are doing very well!
They have stopped running. The skin is healing up well. And the fur looks like it will eventually start to grow back.
He doesn't scratch or groom them like he used to, either.

He's still got a snotty nose, but it doesn't seem to bother him much. He just wipes it all over my hands!!
I'm very careful about washing my hands....and even changing my clothes....after I've been in contact with him or his stuff.
I've still got him in isolation in the room next to the other buns.

So glad Cadbury is doing well. Really thrilled his Human Family showed up and Cadbury was thrilled they were there.

Thanks for the update. Good for Cadbury.

K :)

Cadbury is doing okay.

He's got a lot of issues that I'm just going to have todeal with.
He needs a lot of care and attention.
The care I can provide..... but the attention is spread kinda thin.

He's a really good bunny, unfortunately he has some serious health issues going on.

He's most definitely in better condition than when he first arrived, but staying on top of things is quite a challenge.

He's got some serious mobility issues....his hindquarters just aren't working the way they should.
And now he's got himself quite matted...... and a pooped up bum again. We needs a butt bath for sure.

His nose continues to be snotty.
It's clear and runny....and it doesn't seem to be bothering him.
He doesn't over groom or sneeze much at all anymore.
But, he still LOVES to wipe his snotty nose all over my hands (he's just trying to get pets!!!)

His eyes are doing really good.
I have to say, that's the one thing I've made some good progress with.

I'm changing his wee-wee pads out 2 or 3 times a day. I think it would be worth my while to try some kind of litter training, but I'm not going to hold to much promise in it. He has such a hard time just moving around, that getting in an out of a litter pan could be very difficult for him.

I just got a (used) HEPA filter for his room.
It'll help with all of the loose fur flying around.....gosh he sheds a LOT.
And I'm hoping it will help relieve him of his nickname of "StinkyBun".
(It's really not that bad, as long as I keep his pads changed out.)

JimD wrote:
Cadbury is doing okay.

He's got a lot of issues that I'm just going to have todeal with.
He needs a lot of care and attention.
The care I can provide..... but the attention is spread kinda thin.

He's a really good bunny, unfortunately he has some serious health issues going on.

He's most definitely in better condition than when he first arrived, but staying on top of things is quite a challenge.

He's got some serious mobility issues....his hindquarters just aren't working the way they should.
And now he's got himself quite matted...... and a pooped up bum again. We needs a butt bath for sure.

His nose continues to be snotty.
It's clear and runny....and it doesn't seem to be bothering him.
He doesn't over groom or sneeze much at all anymore.
But, he still LOVES to wipe his snotty nose all over my hands (he's just trying to get pets!!!)

His eyes are doing really good.
I have to say, that's the one thing I've made some good progress with.

I'm changing his wee-wee pads out 2 or 3 times a day. I think it would be worth my while to try some kind of litter training, but I'm not going to hold to much promise in it. He has such a hard time just moving around, that getting in an out of a litter pan could be very difficult for him.

I just got a (used) HEPA filter for his room.
It'll help with all of the loose fur flying around.....gosh he sheds a LOT.
And I'm hoping it will help relieve him of his nickname of "StinkyBun".
(It's really not that bad, as long as I keep his pads changed out.)

Thanks so much for the update on Cadbury. Sounds like you are doing your best to help this poor guy out with all his issues. I have a HEPA filter in my living room. It does help with the smell and flying fur. (Dobby is my biggest shedder).

Again hats off to you Jim for helping this poor old guy. You're giving him as comfortable a life as he can have and dealing with all the issues he brought with him which is not his fault.

K:)

K:)

We made a litter box for Harley out of coroplast. Len used tape to put it together and just left the front open without a lip. I added a piece of foam pipe insulation to the front so that he would not hit his hips on it. This I also secured with vinyl smooth tape so that it didn;t move. We used a foam bath mat or you could use some foam shelving protector in the bottom so that it is not slippery and can be taken out and washed. Then added an old towel and some hay in one corner, so that they can pee and nibble at the same time but not get their hay soiled. The whole thing was washable. That way you can make it the size that you need. Basically it looked like a box without a top or front. Worked well. Sounds like you are getting things under control. Good for you. Sounds like he really enjoys the petting. Poor old soul. Glad his family came to see him, that means alot.

Cadbury isn't doing very well. :(Poor old soul. :(

I feel like we're losing ground here.

His attitude and appetite are still good, but health-wise he's a mess.

His eye's have gotten bad again.
He's got thick mucous coming from his nose and eyes. The fur on his face keeps getting matted and then it dries out to be hard & crusty (eww!).
He's sneezing a lot again.
He's groomed off the fur under/around his eyes again. It had started to grow back.

I've been cleaning his face/eye's/nose with warm chamomile tea compresses, but can't seem to keep ahead of the problem....or even keep it under control at least.
And the compresses aren't enough to break up the crusty mats (eww again!).

Adding to the complications, his back legs are getting worse.
He can still stand/sit, but moving around is getting to be quite an effort for him.
And he can't keep his hind-end clean.
His tail/above his tail/tushy are all matted with poop (once again...eww!)

Tomorrow is "butt bath day". It could take hours considering the condition he's gotten himself in.
I'm picking up an organic-all natural shampoo call "Earthbath". My vetapproved it;

Earthbath Hypo-Allergenic Totally Natural Pet Shampoo

Ingredients: Purified water, extra-mild renewable coconut-based cleanser, aloe vera, xanthan gum, olive oil squalene (preservative).

All ingredients are natural, 100% biodegradable, and gentle.
It's hypo-allergenic, tearless,contains no DEA, phosphates, enzymes or synthetic dyes or perfumes.

The aloe vera was a bit of a concern.
However, it is the 3rd listed ingredient and it's not intended to be ingested.
Thorough rinsing should be adequate to avoid any complications.
Cadbury can't groom the application area anyways.

Once I get him all clean, we'll most likely be making a vet visit.

:pray:

candykittten wrote:
Do you think a humidifier or air purifier might help with his respiratory issues?

I have a HEPA filter in his room that runs 24/7.

I think the issue may be due to a respiratory infection of some kind.
The symptoms could be the result of a lot of different things, and probably will only be properly diagnosed by the vet.

Finances are tight, and I really can't afford expensive or long term treatments.

Cadbury is 10 years old.

I only rescued him 2 months ago.

The previous owners really didn't inform me of how bad his condition was before they brought him over.

I may have some very difficult decisions to make in the near future.

Cadbury is at the Bridge, now. :(

I found him in really bad shape when I got home from work today.
He was laying on his side and couldn't get up.
I rushed him to the vet, but there wasn't much they could do except help him on his way.

He was 12 years old.

Binky free little one.
Your story is done here.
See you at the Bridge.

Cadbury's Bridge Link....

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=72066&forum_id=27

Back