Cadbury's come to stay with us....forever (R.I.P.)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I don't think I understand what's happening...

Is all this happening cos he's quite old and
can't groom himself properly?

or was he being neglected unintentionally and has gotten
some issues from it?

The poor little fellow. I hope he settles in nicely and gets comfortable :)

It sounds like mostly the latter. But as we don't know the neighbor, we can comment. Mine is: it's too bad the neighbor didn't give up Cadbury 2 years ago.

I think it may be a combination of all of the above... and then some.

They took Cadbury to a vet a few weeks ago. I'm not sure the vet was all that rabbit savvy, though.
They gave him a bath, cleaned him up, and gave him an injection of antibiotics. They said he should be fine...but didn't offer any follow-up directions.

I can't fault the owner, especially if he relied on the vet's recommendations.

I think Cadbury has mostly elder issues.
Whatever is going on is due to his advanced years and a compromised immune system.
I'm guessing he has some kind of respiratory infection and pasturella has raised it's ugly head to complicate things.
His system isjust not strong enough to fight off what ever it is.

I'm going to do my best to improve his condition.
I'm seriously considering taking him to my vet if things don't improve.
I really can't afford a long term treatment situation...especially if the outcome is mostly inevitable.

If my neighbor had turned Cadbury in to the local rescue, they most likely would have put him down.

Jim I'm sure your doing the best you can and Cadbury probably understands what your doing and is very grateful, I feel sorry for him and wish him all the best :pray:

Jim, you are so wonderful working with this poor bun. Good luck and prayers for both of you. I'm sure you will find the right path. :pray:

So glad you are able to help Cadbury-hopefully he'll be feeling better soon. I'll keep him in my prayers. :pray:

Safe and clean and warm is the best thing he's got going for him right now, and that counts for a lot to any elder. Thanks for giving him a paw up in his later years.

It's so nice you are there for the bun to try to help him. I will send out my best thoughts for his recovery so he can spend a few more golden years being spoiled as he should have been.

Poor Cadbury :(
What a wonderful heart you have to help this sad bunny. Hoping everything turns out well, sending thoughts and prayers to you :pray:

April, Humma, and Faith

Oh, I see...
Well it's nice to know he's being looked after and
that he's being cooperative and letting you take care
of him :)

Since Saturday, I've cleaned Cadbury's eyes and applied warm chamomile tea compresses about 6 or 7 times. The last time was around 1am this morning.

When I went down at 6am this morning, he appeared to be a bit better than when he first arrived.
It didn't look like he had been scracthing or over-grooming his eyes/face/nose as much. His eyes didn't seem as red/swollen/irritated as they have been.

He even seemed more interested in his food and came over to see what I was putting into his dish for breakfast.
I found out that he LOVES dried papaya....and oatsies too.

Truly good to hear about Cadbury. It must be a very good feeling seeing him perk up and start enjoying life a little.

K :)

I'm keeping him as clean and comfortable as possible.

The chamomile tea compresses appear to be helping his eyes.
His nose is still runny, but he hasn't been sneezing as much....and he seems to be breathing easier.
He certainly perks up when the dried papaya is offered. He actually pushed my hand out of the way this morning to get at his food dish.

I'm going to let him settle in a bit more before I try to handle him too much.
His nails need to be clipped...especially the front ones....to help keep him from scratching his eyes when he's grooming. And his hind quarters probably need to be cleaned and trimmed....and checked for scalding.

I think he mightneed some antibiotics to knock out what ever is going on....and maybe some short term steroids to calm down the inflammation/irritation.
If his overall condition doesn't improve by this weekend, I'll probably schedule a vet visit.

Oaties are the best! He's a lucky bun that you know how to take such good care of him. Hopefully that will help him trust as you get him cleaned up.
*big hugs from the Anderson warren*

Back