Butterfinger.....My little Butter boy...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope Mochi will be okay! I've never heard a hamster cough before and I've owned several. How much was she coughing? Can you take her to the vet? Sounds good that you changed her litter, especially since the aspen makes you uncomfortable. Perhaps you got a bad bag of aspen. Have you tried Carefresh? Please keep us updated on Mochi's health.

Again, I'm so sorry about dear Butterfinger... he was such a special guy. Hopefully another bun bun can help you to heal, of course not by replacing him in any way, but just by being another sweet bunner to love.

Thank you, everyone

SnowyShiloh:

Carefresh was the bedding I had for Mochi when she lived in Washington, and when she first came down here with me. I can't use it anymore, though, because the only place that sells it is all the way across the Burnside Bridge, and in the next city over; Beaverton. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but I have no car, and I have to rely on public transportation and walking.
Mochi's cough was pretty scary. I immediately thought she was going to die, like Butter, and went to doing all I could to prevent it. The cough sounding like something in between the squeak she sometimes makes, and a sneeze. But I knew what it was. (Her normal squeak thing sounds like 'Eck.....eck....eck eck. ' and she'll be sitting up curiously, not huddled up. ) She seems to be doing alright since I've put her back, but I'll continue to watch her closely.
As for another rabbit....
I've contacted a breeder on a yahoo group I'm in to see if he'll have any rabbits available over my Winter Break, when I'm up in Washington and closer to where he is (He's in Richmond, I think it was). He breeds Belgian Hares. They're practically the polar opposites of Holland Lops, and will ease my conscience enough so that I don't feel like I'm replacing him. (But not just for that reason. I've always admired Belgian Hares). He has yet to get back to me, but we'll see what happens.

Did she cough more than once? Poor little girl. I hope she'll be okay! I don't know much about Belgian Hares, I'm going to go look them up! I think it's interesting how you want a bunny that's completely different from Butterfinger, and I'm hoping to find a Netherland Dwarf like my Cinnabun to be Rory's girlfriend (maybe even one with similar otter or marten markings). Just shows how people cope differently! Maybe it's because Cinny's been gone so long and I've been without him for a long time. I'm not trying to replace Cinny at all either, to me it's honoring his memory. I don't think either of us is wrong, just different takes on the same situation. I would prefer to get a bunny from the shelter or a rescue (like Rory), but I have to admit I contacted a Nethie breeder here in Alaska because I've seen approximately zero Netherland Dwarf or Polish girl bunnies in the rescues here. I'm also kind of yearning for a baby bunny. I'll probably end up getting Rory's girlfriend from a rescue though and I doubt she'll be a baby, that's fine too.

Get better soon, Mochi girl! Did you see Rory's message to Butter in his blog? :tears2:

Yes, she coughed about four times :( She hasn't since then, but I'm still worried.

A Belgian Hare looks like this: http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs21/f/2007/284/9/2/Another_Hare2_by_Phelixas.jpg
From what I've read, they're fairly calm and gentle rabbits, as an overal breed disposition. I considered getting a rabbit from a shelter, but shelters are so particular about things....and I know quite a few people who have been completely badgered by them. (Not to mention that the Belgian Hare is kinda hard to come across, and there's none in any of our shelters anyway) And baby bunnies -are- irresistable, aren't they?
It's interesting how we choose to respect our rabbits in different ways, huh? None of the animals I've had ever looked like each other, out of respect for the passed one.
Yes, I saw Rory's message....it was lovely, but I didn't know how to respond, exactly....I couldn't really use Butter's voice this time :( But thank you, anyway.

~Diana

when i first joined this forum, i always used to read the rainbow bridge posts and think, how can people get so worked up about a rabbit that passed away that they didn't even KNOW? i understood how the op could, because i mean....they lived with the rabbit and KNEW them.

now that i've been part of this forum for almost 3 months, i look at the loss of BK and now butterfinger, and i think...wow. this REALLY is heartbreaking...and i have never met either bun. the truth is, you not only get to know the bun through many many photos and stories of them, but you get to know the bun parent and how much they truly love their bunny.

and now, with the loss of BK earlier this week and now Butter...i'm just at a loss for words. i'm just so sorry diana. butter was sooooooooooooo beautiful, and i'm glad that everyone else has mentioned that it is not your fault that this has happened. it's just coincidental that you had doubts about the bedding.

RIP butter, you beautiful little bun. binky free up there...:sad:

Diana, i know a breeder over heree that has belgian hares and she says they are amazing pets, they certainly are stunning looking.

Not Butters! :sad: He was the first bun I ever wanted to bunnynap and the first one i truly fell in love with here on the forum! I'm so so so sorry for your loss. I know it wasn't your fault and I know nothing I can say will help you feel any less at a loss..but he knew he was loved, we could all see it from your posts. You were a wonderful owner and he was very lucky to have you.

Binky Free Butter Boy..:rainbow::rainbow:

Hey guys....

So, today I made a memorial video for my little boy....it's been almost exactly a week, now....
But please do watch it. It's not a slide-show, it has actual video, and even though I don't think I did the most wonderful job, I wanted to show how much I missed/love him :(

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaFiqZhftxg[/ame]

As for other rabbits... I talked with the lady some more about her bunnies. She was very supportive and nice, and I guess she has some 20 bunnies at her house that she's fostering... Wow. If the breeder thing falls through, I think I'm going to go visit her... She also said something about a lot of six-month-old Flemmies from AZ needing desperately to come there. I will definitely be taking a look at those, if any are coming to the shelter. (AZ sounds like an awfully long way to transport them though, up to Oregon....)

~Diana

I couldn't watch it... This is what it said:
The url contained a malformed video id.
:(

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. At least better enough to make a vid for Butter!;)
I wish you the best of luck in your search for another bunny.:hug:

I just watched the video, it's great! I'm glad you made it. He was such a beautiful and special bun. I thought it was funny when people mistook him for a girl in his blog because he pretty much looks like the manly rugby player of the bunny world!

I'm leaning more towards getting a Holland Lop for Rory's girlfirend now I think because of Butter.

How are you doing?

Thanks :) I always thought it was kinda funny when people would mistake him for a girl, too. But he -did- have those long girly eyelashes...

Getting a Holland for Rory's girlfriend would be a great idea, in my opinion. I've had two Hollands, and out of all the other rabbits (Two Dutch, two French Angoras), they were the gentlest and most friendly. (Of course, the personality changes from rabbit to rabbit) My first rabbit ever was a red-eyed white Holland Lop, and she was just a -doll-. She'd let us hold her on her back, and she'd stick all her little feet in the air...and she never bit us or got upset or anything. Sweetest little thing.
Then, well...you know about my second one ;) He also never bit or got mad, either, although he was somewhat more difficult with the 'holding upside down' part.
Good luck with whatever you choose, though.

And ...thanks for caring. It means a lot to me

~Diana

What a wonderful video.....such a loving tribute to him.

You have a real talent for putting together videos like that ~ and your love for him shows through the images.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Peg

(Arg, I wrote a whole huge entry, but some link took this page and I pushed the back button and everything was gone. Arg. I'll try to re-create it as best I can)

Hey sweetheart,

So...it's been almost a month since your passing...
I bought a pendant and filled it with your fur. I wear it every day, now, so you'll always be with me.
I hope you're happy, where you are.... I hope the grass is green and soft and long (You always loved the grass), I hope it's sunny every day, and I hope the sky is blue and clear.
I hope you're alright, there. I hope you get along with the other rabbits, and I hope they're not mean to you. No one should be mean to you, there.

You know, it's been hard dealing with the huge empty space in the corner of my room... It was always perfectly shaped for you; like it was carved out just for your pen. I put the box I kept your hay (And later, you) in, in the corner of it, but it's still empty. I had this idea about it.. A tradition.
I went to the store a couple days after your death and bought two Butterfinger candy bars. I ate one of them, and put the other in the bottom of that box. Next October 22nd, I'll eat that one, and replace it with a new one. I don't know, it seemed like a good idea. Like an annual rememberence/tribute.
But sweetheart, I'm going to get another rabbit....is that okay? I hope you don't mind... I'm sure you don't want it to end with just you, do you?
At first I was hyped up on Belgian Hares.... but just recently, I've decided to wait until my kitten calms down... He's prone to fits of running around and growling and jumping....you know how he is. So I'm going to wait until he's a cat, and then decide from there.
But you know, I've contacted another breeder. I have a really good feeling about her. She's wonderful and friendly and helpful, and just has this "RO" feeling. (I recommended this site to her) And the way she described her rabbits' personalities... She described the perfect bun personality. Oh Butter, I know you'd love them. She said they were very friendly and playful and fun-loving (Especially the bucks), and I just have this feeling...like 'These are the ones. This breed. ' Of course, they're also from Holland... Leave it up to Holland to bring out the bunnies with the best, huh? The breed is called the "Thrianta" It's pronounced like "Tree-an-tah". That makes me wonder what your breed's name would be prounounced like if we'd kept it in the original language...
So on Winter Break, I'll be driving four hours up to Spokane to meet her (Unless we can arrange somewhere closer), and she's going to bring all her available bucks she thinks I'd like, so I can see them. (She's also going to email me pictures of them) Isn't that wonderful?
I'll be sure to post pictures of the little guy for your approval when he gets here, okay?
I miss you a lot, Butter....
I hope you remember that I still love you.

~Mommy

your video is SO awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you did such a great job, what a wonderful tribute to butter.

may angels lead you in, butter <3

I just watched the vid. It's wonderful. That song me andhubbyalways laughed at because of the movie White Chicks. After seeing your video, it will be a sad song now for me. The lyrics...:(. I'd walk a 1000 miles to see my baby tonight:(.

Great tribute! I wish I had something I could put together. I might, I'll have to look.

I think Butter would want you to have another. Go for it hon.:hug:

Thanks everyone :hug: It means a lot...
And yeah...
Yesterday I was going through all the pictures I have of him on my computer, because I wanted to put them all into one folder, you know? I was surprised when the number broke 600, but no....

It kept going to 1599 :thud:I never realized how many pictures I'd taken of him :shock:
But now I'm kinda glad I did....

~Diana

Latest posts

Back