Buster the lionhead bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont prewash my veggies. I keep them in bags like the store bag OR sealed in a baggie. I think pre washing and then wrapping in paper towels is what is making them wilt maybe. Mine keep pretty well.

Spinach is the ONLY green Agnes had problems with. She likes it but gives her runny poo so we avoid it now just to be safe.

Ahhh I see, thank you everyone for your advice, By God, she needs it!!!!
And thank you so much for the nice compliments! MUAHAHA you and everyone else will NEVER know how soft I am because I will scamper away, Scamper should be my middle name I think. That or Scaredy-Bun.
Spinach makes my tummy happy and gets me all excited. Today while mom was getting me some spinach out of the giant black "fridge", I bit it on the rubbery part! What? Why you ask? well because she moving too slow and also bc I feel that I need to bite things often.

Then this evening, Mom tells me I may have fleas, she says they are parasites??? Don't know what she is babbling on about half the time. So she comes into the dining room and sits down with a towel, a syringe, some sulphury smelling black thing, and some chopped up CARROTS! I was like oh yayyyyy Carrots! BUT THENN!!! She threw the towel over me and I scamper away just in time!!! But the carrots...oh yes....they were calling my name, I mean, I HAD to come back to satisfy my sweet teeth....err, i mean tooth. SO she threw it over me again and covered my eyes! I was kicking furiously and made a teeny whiney noise! It was the worst thing in the world. So she bundled me up like a baby and uncovered my eyes and she laughed because they were so wide. I did not think laughter was in order....it was very embarrassing to be held like a baby, grrr. She then attempted to soothe me with her voice, told me why fleas are so terrible, and petted me, I hated the entire thing. She looked inside my ears but couldn't see much, then got the flea treatment and squirted it on my neck. She gave me a piece of carrot and I gobbled it up, though I was angry. I tried to kick some more but the burrito was too tight, I did loosen my front legs though, and tried to squirm out like a worm but she put her hand over my face and tucked me back in. Finally after she had her way with me, she covered my face again and gently and slowly put me on the ground and released her grip on the burrito. I scurried away and foot flicked at her and shook off her pets and lovings!!!! >:| she tossed the rest of the carrots at me and told me I was a good bunny and I ignored her and ate them with fury.

She has made me very mad today and I am glad that she didnt get to groom me because I would have put up a fight!!!

Oh Buster you are such a funny bun. I love how he tries to get away, sounds like some buns I know. I can tell you that when a bun doesn´t want to get caught, it doesn´t. Does give you plenty of exercise trying though.

Poor little boy with awful fleas, hope mommy´s treatment has got rid of them all.

And good boy keeping away from that ladder, that would be scary lol.

Lol, it wasnt funny last night. I hope I have better luck in the future. I wonder if I should kind of give him some tough love once a week and maybe he will see it isn't so bad?

The flea treatment is definitely working...they jumped off the animals and onto me, I have at least three bites that I know of and they are so itchy!!! I got the first hint when Buster started itching more than normal, then I saw fleas on the cat, never saw them on Rosco but I treated everyone just in case!

Thank you, his coloring is pretty neat, I was attempting to draw him the other day and his gray is a really neat looking gray, not a dull funky kind.

You can tell that he has some hairs that look like they want to come out, little tufts, of course he won't sit still during this but I tried to pluck a few tufts out and they are stuck in there good!!!!

Thank you both!

Today, I had some clicker training to do with him for my homework and I figured he might still have a grudge against me but geez, he was being a total pansy, I asked him to target the target stick, and he would do it and get clicked and run away from his treat so I tossed it toward him he missed it and I would have to coax him to coming back and he just didnt want to do anything, so tried to stick the target stick through the little wooden bars of the dining table and he would still run away so I got fed up gave him some jackpot treats and left. It hurt my feelings and also upset me that he is still mad or scared from last night. Gosh, at least Rosco forgives my mistakes or forgives me when I take him to the vet, anything he doesn't like he is over it within an hour lol.

On another note, this evening, we went to see the in-laws again, their rabbit has grown a little, she was in a cage, with no litter box or water. Barely any hay she had she peed on. I assume it's a she, they STILL have not taken her to the vet so therefore don't know it's gender. She was digging and doing anything she could to escape, finally she gave up and flopped down.
I don't know of her foot is healed or not but she was putting weight on it as far as I could tell.
I took a picture

image.jpg

She´s such a lovely looking rabbit, what´s that on the floor of the cage ? And those dishes, mine would throw them about and have them overturned in two minutes. Can you give them a bit of advice without them taking offence. Looks as though she needs lot of things, litter tray, water bottle, hay rack, maybe you could point them to RO ??? It´s a shame cos she doesn´t look like a happy bun.

Buster, on the other hand, is so adorable, makes you want to snuggle him. I think they do hold grudges, maybe they´re like elephants and never forget hahaha.

I wrote her an email last month, don't know if she read it or couldn't understand cuz it wasnt in Spanish. I begged Leo to let me bunny-nap her. :( on the floor of her cage is some kind of green rubber thing I think people use it to "not slip"? Ahh I don't know what it's called but she could definitely ingest it and die. I really want to steal her. Uses she's a he that would be bad

Thank you. And yes they really are smart, wish he would cooperate, I have 5
More lessons to finish before feb9th!!!! :0

Oh, she´s so gorgeous, I wish you could bunny nap her. If you want me to translate it for you, I´d be happy to if it´s an improvement for this little girl.

Buster looks like a smart bun, I´d love to clicker train mine, I´ve seen the thing you can get, maybe I´ll do it this time.

Oh yay! U would really? How can I send it?

He can be smart, I hope to eventually get him to do a couple of cute tricks like jump through a hoop, and go to his house on cue teehee.

Heres what i emailed to her: you may add to it if you'd like because I am much less experienced. Thank you!!!!!

Hey I made y'all a rabbit care sheet for your rabbit! If you need ANYTHING else let me know.

Food:
-Unlimited Alfalfa hay (bc he looks to be younger than 7 months old)
-about 1/2 cup or more of Timothy hay based pellets (I buy mine from a feed store, do not buy any pellets that are mixed they are very unhealthy)
-introduce vegetables one at a time

Food after baby gets older than 7 months old:
-unlimited Timothy hay (some walmarts a carry a brand called KAY-TEE, it's a decent hay)
-cut back to 1/4 of a cup of Timothy hay based pellets
-increase daily vegetables slowly
-Introduce a couple fruits as treats, a slice of apple (no seeds), a baby carrot, a cherry, 2-3 banana slices, a slice if pear. For example today I gave my rabbit one sliver of apple and tomorrow he will get one baby carrot the size of my pinky finger.

-WATER: use a heavy ceramic dish that can't be tipped over!

Great Vegetables to eat!
He should get a small amount, for example if today I were feeding my rabbit turnip greens and cilantro I would get two sprigs of cilantro, one big leaf of turnip greens and cut it in half and feed it to him. Your bunny is small so a smaller amount would be fine. When introducing new vegetables only feed that specific one in a small amount in case he gets sick which is rare but happens.

Arugula
Carrot tops
Cucumber leaves
Endive
Ecarole
Frisee Lettuce
Kale (high in calcium so don't feed too much)
Mache
Red or green lettuce
Romaine lettuce
Spring greens
Turnip greens
Dandelion greens
Mint (any variety)
Basil (any variety)
Watercress
Wheatgrass
Chicory
Raspberry leaves
Cilantro
Radicchio
Bok Choy
Fennel (the leafy tops as well as the base)
Borage leaves
Dill leaves

Litter box-
By nature, rabbits choose one or a few places (usually corners) to deposit their urine and most of their poop. Urine-training involves little more than putting a litterbox where the rabbit chooses to go. Poop training requires only that you give them a place they know will not be invaded by others. Here are some suggestions to help you to train your rabbit to use the litterbox. Choose a quiet and remote location for the litter box, put some of his poop in the box and he will understand over time that is where he needs to do his business. Don't use cat litter though! There's care fresh brand u can get from petco or petsmart you could even use shredded paper if you're on a budget but it's still stinky :( I use horse stall pellets from tractor supply, 5 dollars for a BIG bag! A great deal and very absorbent and non smelly! :) you may place a tad bit of hay in the litter box because rabbits like to eat while pooping. By age 4-6 months the hormones will start kicking in and he or she will begin spraying and marking territory.

Kids:
-Rule 1: pet gently
-Rule 2: leave the rabbit alone when he hops away, that means he is tired of being petted, going after him will frighten him
-Rule 3: don't touch poop or litter
-rule 4: We pet, but don't pick up the rabbit. Explain that it scares the rabbit to be picked up and both of you could get hurt. Rabbits are prey animals so when rabbits get picked up they think "AH IM GOING TO GET EATEN!" they love the ground. Also, if the rabbit is able to kick when being picked up he can break his back and will need to be put down. Explain that Mom or Dad may pick up the rabbit if he needs care.
-Rule 5: be calm and quiet while petting or being around your rabbit, they will appreciate it greatly!

BUNNYPROOFING:
As you know rabbits love to chew especially on things they aren't supposed to chew on, chewing through electic cords can electrocute the bunny and cause a fire!
-Spiral cable wrap Radio Shack sells something called "spiral cable wrap". It costs about $3 for 10 feet and works like a charm for most, but not every bunny. (Some still manage to chew through it.)
-Plastic tubing (similar to that used in fish tanks, or with "swamp coolers") from a hardware or aquarium store can be slit lengthwise with a blade and the wire can be tucked safely inside. A harder, black, pre-slit type of tubing is also available.
-or you could cover the wires with a wire box or plastic box

CHEWING: rabbits teeth never stop growing so and grow one centimeter each month, you need to keep them filed down. They love to chew on cardboard, you can make him a "house" with two entrances and a few windows and he will have tons of fun chewing on it! Apple tree twigs and branches are good they sell small sticks at pet stores, they love to shred old phone books, pine firewood, cotton towels, alfalfa cubes, and of course hay.

Here is a great and helpful link:
http://www.rabbit.org/translations/spanish/index.html

Katie

Katie, I´ll PM you with the translation when I´ve finished. I don´t mind if it means that little girl will have an improved life eating the right things and being given the right care. Would like to think she´d be living just like Buster haha.

I´ll try and get it done sometime tomorrow.:bunny24

Back