bunnyslave's picture thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(sorry I've been MIA lately but hopefully Opie pics will make up for that :-/)

Last week I got some good Opie snuggling time in andmybf (errr... fiance... still weird saying that!)got some adorable pics of us. ENJOY!

opiemommysnuggle1.jpg

opiemommysnuggle.jpg

babyopie3.jpg

babyopie4.jpg

babyopie5.jpg

isn't she just adorable sitting on my lap??

Aaaaww, the Opie snuggling pics are so sweeeeet. It's a good thing you live far away in CA, or she might turn up missing. ;)

I sure have missed seeing and hearing about all your buns lately. But now that I have a faster computer, I can look through all the pics I want!:D hehe

I've always wanted to try putting leashes on my buns and taking them out, but never have. Did you have to start them in harnesses when they were young? How long is the leash you use?

doodle wrote:
I've always wanted to try putting leashes on my buns and taking them out, but never have. Did you have to start them in harnesses when they were young? How long is the leash you use?
*waves at doodle*

how you been stranger??

about the harness question: i have read many articles that say to get your bun use to being "enclosed" in a harness you should put it on them without the leash and then them run around in your home (or designated safe place) for a couple minutes (5-15 minutes) everyday before you attach the leash and take them outside.

BUT

for my buns I just put the harness + leash on them and take them outside. I find that when they are outside, they want to explore and don't really mind the harness b/c they are too busy checking out leaves, eating grass and sniffing the base of trees! heheee...

I always warn ppl that take their bunnies outsidethat bunnies aren't dog. Instead of you walking them, they walk you... also make sure you have the harness AND leash attached AND you have good grasp on the leash. Bunnies are not like dogs and if they get away they won't come back if you call their name.

hope that helps!

Lissa wrote:
can you believe i was THAT close to not adopting her?? I drove away, even got on the freeway and drove about 2 exits away, then did a 180 and came back to get her! best decison I ever made... she's my love.

i recommend frenchies to everyone! but of course no one will be as precious as mine! heheee

WARNING: **Lots of Pics for the BonBon/Snickie fans**

I enjoy the simple pleasures of life - watching my bunnies eating their dinner! Enjoy the pics!!

bonbonsnickiesalad10.jpg
-->the obligatory wide screen shot

bonbonsnickiesalad16.jpg
--> chomp chomp chomp

bonbonsnickiesalad29.jpg
--> "uh oh! I think I bit off more than I can chew!"

bonbonsnickiesalad18.jpg
--> "ME TOO!"

bonbonsnickiesalad22.jpg
--> nibble nibble nibble

bonbonsnickiesalad17.jpg
--> mid chew shot! can you see her tongue??

bonbonsnickiesalad30.jpg
--> everybunny knows the best piece of romaine is at the bottom!

bonbonsnickiesalad4.jpg
bonbonsnickiesalad11.jpg
--> snicke's new favorite food - cherry tomatoes!

bonbonsnickiesalad.jpg
--> don't talk with your mouth full!

(have I satisified the BonBon and Snickie fans now?? hehee)

babyopie4.jpg

Heh! You two are having a 'cuteness' contest in this one! :sunshine:

bonbonsnickiesalad30.jpg

And Bon Bon'sis perfect tokick off a 'PHOTO PHILE' food thread!!! :eats (Heavy hint to the mods?) :wink:

Thanks for the fix!! :happydance

SAS :biggrinand PIPP :bunny17

I have deeply fallen for Opie!!! My goodness...I need a bun just like her!! My buns would never just lay on me like that..getting them to stay still can be a struggle!! hehe...I'm so jealous! You've got some gorgeous, happy bunnies! Love 'em!

Can't wait to see more pics

-Vanessa

I love they way Opie just cuddles with you! Is it the breed or did you spend a lot of bonding time with your rabbits when you got them. Mine comes up to us for a pet for a moment, which is an improvement, but won't just lay and snuggle. I also wanted to ask anyone if they could tell me how you know when to let the bunnies loose in the house? Right now I let delilah, 3mos old, loose in my bedroom with several litter boxes. The vet wants to wait 6 more weeks until we spay her so I was going to wait until she recovered, hoping her litter box use was more regular. It seems most everyone has their rabbits loose in the house? Is this an accurate assumption?mandy

BACI wrote:
It seems most everyone has their rabbits loose in the house? Is this an accurate assumption?mandy

Mine have their own bedroom that they roam free in. I let them in the living room if i am home and can supervise them diligently. Opie appears to be a rare rabbit!

THANKS SO MUCH LessThanAnNa, VNess2010, BACI and Lissa!

BACI wrote:
I love they way Opie just cuddles with you! Is it the breed or did you spend a lot of bonding time with your rabbits when you got them. Mine comes up to us for a pet for a moment, which is an improvement, but won't just lay and snuggle. I also wanted to ask anyone if they could tell me how you know when to let the bunnies loose in the house? Right now I let delilah, 3mos old, loose in my bedroom with several litter boxes. The vet wants to wait 6 more weeks until we spay her so I was going to wait until she recovered, hoping her litter box use was more regular. It seems most everyone has their rabbits loose in the house? Is this an accurate assumption?mandy

Sorry I haven't been able to get on RO lately, but hopefully its not too late to answer your questions. I try not to encourage ppl to adopt frenchies b/c of what they "think" the breed is known for b/c each individual bunny will have their own personality regardless of breed. There are generalities of course though. Opie is a french lop and french lops are known to be a pretty mellow breed. I don't recommend them for ppl that aren't prepared for their size. Double the size means double the food, double the hay, double the shedding etc etc... But I was realistic about adopting her and the rewards have been endless (as you can see in my pics).I definitely take the time to bond withall my bunnies so that they trust me. Itsa slow and gradual bonding process, but eventually theyget comfortable and trust me just as Opie does.There will always be those bunnies that no matter how hardyou try to get them use to holding it just isn't in their personality and you have to be content withjust laying on the floor for snuggle time. Trust me I still do that alot with my bunnies!

All of my bunnies are free run. I wouldn't give them free run unless they were littertrained. Giving bunnies free run too soon before they are completely littertrained will give you false expectations and may frustrate you and your bunny. Start out in a smaller space and work your way to a bigger cage/area as they get better and more consistent with their littertraining. Spaying and neutering plays a huge part in littertraining consistency (IMO). Most vets will spay around 5-6 months and neuter around 3-4 months so it sounds like your vet is about the norm.

I wouldn't say that "free run buns" are the norm yet but as ppl realize that they can be littertrained and know how to bunny proof their home, it will become more widespread. I know my bunnies love their free run and I think it helps them in every aspect of their lives (freedom, room to exercise, interaction w/ meetc etc)

HTH!

-Clara

Back