Bunny toy?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peneloppythebun

Reaction score
Hi so I recently just got my bunny on Friday and she hasn’t payed any attention to her toys. She mostly just likes to eat, sleep, and explore. She has her baby stacker cups that her previous owner gave me and a treat ball but she doesn’t care for it. I even made her DIY toys from toilet paper roll but she doesn’t care for it either. I just bought some willow balls, willow rings, and a cat tunnel. I hop she plays with those because she doesn’t care for the ones she has. I even cut out a hidey house box which she did go. I can’t get her a friend yet because she isn’t spayed and the vet is booked til may so I have to wait to get her a friend and bond her.any suggestions?

Your rabbit is adorable! Do you know her age?

You haven't had her but a few days so she's probably still exploring and getting used to her new surroundings. Once settled, she may or may not show interest in small toys. Mine seldom did. They preferred to explore large hideys, tunnels, boxes with doorways, etc..

If you are serious about getting her a bondmate after her spay, then you may want to limit her roaming space considerably for now. You'll need neutral space for bonding (some place where she has never set foot). Females can be particularly territorial and that can make it difficult for bonding if she "claims" her territory in the meantime. Whatever space you want both rabbits to share would be a good place to keep her out of in the meantime.

Your new bunny is probably getting use to her new environment and to you. For some bunnies it takes a little bit more time getting adjusted to their new environment . I'm not sure how close your new bunny was with the previous owner. Bunnies do form a bond with their owner and maybe missing the owner. It will take time. I wouldn't worry at this moment of getting your bunny a friend. It maybe too much stress for your bunny all at once. I would just let your bunny adjust to her new environment and to you. :)

@Blue eyes Thank you! Your bunnies are adorable to!She is about two years old, her previous owner had her for two years and never spayed or bonded her. I don’t have anywhere to really bond her besides my bedroom. Do you think I should just let her settle in first since she is still exploring and getting used to her surroundings? She had gotten a bit use to me she comes looking for me and she likes to sleep by me on the floor by the bed. She comes to me sometimes. She explores a lot before when I first got her she just went under my bed but now she doesn’t bother going under anymore. I do have a x pen for her it’s 4 ft tall. With her litter box and hidey house but she doesn’t even bother caring for it. She is also litter trained. But sometimes has like 1 or 2 poops come out from her litter box sometimes. But I always pick t up and put it in her litter box to let her know. also I think I’m allergic to her Timothy Hay is there an alternative. Currently using small per select.

Last edited:
@somebunnylovesme I’m not sure how close she was too but her owner said she had her for two years and she had her in an x pen and would let her free roam. Maybe she is getting used to me and her new environment. I feel so bad for her. Her owner was going off to college and she posted an ad on Craigslist it said free bunny to a new home. Litter box trained and very friendly comes with everything. I saw the ad and I just had to get her right away I didn’t want her to go in the wrong hands. So far Peneloppy my Holland Lop likes sleeping next to me she does let me pet her sometimes when she is sleeping and she does come up to me to sniff and nudge me and sometimes nibble and lick me.

You can use orchard grass or meadow hay. I would see how she is around other rabbits first by having her interact with other bunnies. She may not want a friend. I've experienced that in the past with a female and I had a feeling when I had her meet other bunnies she didn't want a friend. She also was spayed and I did try to bond her and it wasn't really successful. I tried a few different ways.

@ Blueeyes Thank you! Your bunnies are adorable to!She is about two years old, her previous owner had her for two years and never spayed or bonded her. I don’t have anywhere to really bond her besides my bedroom. Do you think I should just let her settle in first since she is still exploring and getting used to her surroundings? She had gotten a bit use to me she comes looking for me and she likes to sleep by me on the floor by the bed. She comes to me sometimes. She explores a lot before when I first got her she just went under my bed but now she doesn’t bother going under anymore. I do have a x pen for her it’s 4 ft tall. With her litter box and hidey house but she doesn’t even bother caring for it. She is also litter trained. But sometimes has like 1 or 2 poops come out from her litter box sometimes. But I always pick t up and put it in her litter box to let her know. also I think I’m allergic to her Timothy Hay is there an alternative. Currently using small per select.
You can use orchard grass or meadow hay. I would see how she is around other rabbits first by having her interact with other bunnies. She may not want a friend. I've experienced that in the past with a female and I had a feeling when I had her meet other bunnies she didn't want a friend. She also was spayed and I did try to bond her and it wasn't really successful. I tried a few different ways.
I’m going to try that because right now I’m suffering from allergies like my throat and chin would get itchy and I tried so hard to just deal with it but I can’t anymore I don’t want to waste her hay though but I’m def going to try Orchard grass and see if she likes it. And you’re right I don’t want to put so much stress on her because it’s already stressful that she is in a new environment knowing she was with her previous owner for two years. She seems fine on her own. I just feel bad and I wanted to make her feel at home.

Some bunnies do warm up fast than others. That is good sign that she is licking , nudging, nibbling and laying down beside you. It sounds like she is doing fine. Bunnies do get bored of toys or not really interested in them. You can try growing some cat grass (rye or barley) and she if that peaks her interest.

I’m going to try that because right now I’m suffering from allergies like my throat and chin would get itchy and I tried so hard to just deal with it but I can’t anymore I don’t want to waste her hay though but I’m def going to try Orchard grass and see if she likes it. And you’re right I don’t want to put so much stress on her because it’s already stressful that she is in a new environment knowing she was with her previous owner for two years. She seems fine on her own. I just feel bad and I wanted to make her feel at home.

It sounds like she made herself at home

Some bunnies do warm up fast than others. That is good sign that she is licking , nudging, nibbling and laying down beside you. It sounds like she is doing fine. Bunnies do get bored of toys or not really interested in them. You can try growing some cat grass (rye or barley) and she if that peaks her interest.
Yeah she is a sweetheart, and maybe she is bored of her toys. I just want to make her feel at home but I’ll give her some time to adjust and get used to her new home.

Also I tried feeding her a small piece of banana she liked it at first then she just didn’t care for it after but I do feed her freeze dried apple a small amount and she likes it a lot. So far I’m feeding her 1 cup of romaine lettuce with 1/2 cup of pelletes and 1 cup romaine lettuce with mint and cilantro. Any suggestions on veggies and fruits to feed her? I don’t want to give her veggies she isn’t use to because I’m scared she will get GI statis

It sounds like she made herself at home
She’s also an therapy/ emotional support animal for me right now and she’s been helping me a lot. My room is also a hay barn lol! Also would you recommend Carefresh or yesterday’s news? I am currently using yesterday’s news and I put a puppy pee pad under it with a wire mesh to keep her out of her poop. And hay I got her willow ball and willow ring and also a cat tunnel I hope she plays with it

She’s also an therapy/ emotional support animal for me right now and she’s been helping me a lot. My room is also a hay barn lol! Also would you recommend Carefresh or yesterday’s news? I am currently using yesterday’s news and I put a puppy pee pad under it with a wire mesh to keep her out of her poop. And hay I got her willow ball and willow ring and also a cat tunnel I hope she plays with it

I just use yesterdays news. I find it to be absorbent compared to carefresh. There are some people that use carefresh under yesterdays news which is kind of a waste of money. With how you have your litter box set up you probably wouldn' go through that much litter. I still would just stick with yesterdays news. You could opt into pine pellets. I find with pine pellets they bother my nose when my rabbit had peed on them and they had turned into dust.

I just use yesterdays news. I find it to be absorbent compared to carefresh. There are some people that use carefresh under yesterdays news which is kind of a waste of money. With how you have your litter box set up you probably wouldn' go through that much litter. I still would just stick with yesterdays news. You could opt into pine pellets. I find with pine pellets they bother my nose when my rabbit had peed on them and they had turned into dust.
Does the yesterday’s new hurt the bunny’s feet? I was afraid it was going to hurt her feet. I watched 101 rabbits and she has I think woodstove pelletes and then she puts Carefresh on top but then again I don’t really want to waste money so much if yesterday’s news is more absorbing. Also I change her litter box every two days so it doesn’t get stinky. But she is quiet a messy eater when it comes to her hay rack I made her. I put it right under her litter box and so far she likes it. She does eat the hay I have in her litter box but she’s prefers it in her hay rack. I used a dish rack to make the hay rack. It’s just a hassle to clean up after because it does get on the floor but I did put down a soft mat for her. And it is easier to clean I just sweep it up

Also do you have any hacks for me to save money with a bunny? So far I have everything like x pen,litter box, yesterday news, Timothy Hay, diy hay rack, her toys I got from her owner that she doesn’t bother with. Her water bowl and food plate. I mostly have everything I’m just waiting on critical care. Which is important. I still need to get her hair buster.

Does the yesterday’s new hurt the bunny’s feet? I was afraid it was going to hurt her feet. I watched 101 rabbits and she has I think woodstove pelletes and then she puts Carefresh on top but then again I don’t really want to waste money so much if yesterday’s news is more absorbing. Also I change her litter box every two days so it doesn’t get stinky. But she is quiet a messy eater when it comes to her hay rack I made her. I put it right under her litter box and so far she likes it. She does eat the hay I have in her litter box but she’s prefers it in her hay rack. I used a dish rack to make the hay rack. It’s just a hassle to clean up after because it does get on the floor but I did put down a soft mat for her. And it is easier to clean I just sweep it up

No yesterdays news isn't going to hurt rabbits feet. I've used it for many years had no issues with feet problem. 101 rabbits can afford all those frills. Do take care of your rabbit but don't be worrying about to living up to someone else's lifestyle or standards. You'll be putting a lot of stress upon yourself.

You don't need care fresh. You would better off, shredding paper and putting it on top if you wanted to. How you have your litter box set up is fine. What I use instead of pee pads, (I find them to cost more money and plus my rabbit eats them) I just use brown paper or white paper to line my rabbits litter box. Using the dish rack for a hay rack is awesome idea.

You’re right! It did stress me out. I was literally on her channel and I’m like I need this I need that! And I’m like I can’t afford all of that. I was so worried because she makes it seem like I’m doing something wrong like I have to get all those stuff in order for my rabbit to be happy and I thought I did something wrong all the time. I would compare my set up and think am I missing something? I was so worked up in making it like hers and it stressed me out and I’m like why am I stressing out trying to waste more money when my bunny is fine the way she is. And that’s a great idea! I’m going to do that instead. My bunny doesn’t eat it but you’re right it would cost lots of money. Btw do you use a regular cat litter box or a enclosed litter box? sorry for all the questions just want to make sure and see your input on it:) thank you so much also you have helped me a lot I’m somewhay a new bunny Mom I had a bunny before but I didn’t know how to take care of it. I was really young when my dad got it for me.

My litter pan is a dish pan that cost me a whole 1.50 from the dollar and I have 4 of them. They also have cat pans for 3.00 at the dollar store. I wouldn't spend 30 to 40 bucks on an enclosed litter box. I have my rabbit litter's in his cage. I use the cage as a hidy house and for traveling. My rabbits cage door is never closed. I have a bunny room that is 70 square feet and its not aesthetically pleasing. lol

What?! That’s cheap! I also saw a cat litter box at the dollar store too and it’s actually durable and cute, she currently has a blue one. I’m truing to decorate her x pen and make it more aesthetically pleasing but right now it’s a mess lmao with her hay everywhere. My x pen for her is never closed either unless I have to run errands or go to work. She hates being in her pen even though it’s big she much rather be outside of it. they have cute litter boxes on chewy too. Do you shop on chewy.com? And what kind of hay do you use? Because small pet select so pretty expensive. But I seen that oxbow is cheaper.

I live in Canada Small Pet Select and Chewy doesn't ship to my Country. I just buy a 50 pound box of Oxbow Timothy hay. Some people thinks its expensive but it last me 7 months. It costs me more money and time to travel 2 hrs out of town and 2 hours back into town to get a 50 pound bale of hay.

Back