bunny scratching floor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svmax

Reaction score
I stay in a flat on 4th floor.
I have marble flooring with out carpet
Recently I have seen several times that my bunny goes under the chair table and starts to scratch the floor as if she is burrowing something
but there is no soil and marble is hard
But still she keeps scratching floor

She is not spayed.
50% times she is outside the cage

Usually in the night time when I come home
I open the cage and grab some veges for her and sit on the floor
She comes and sits on my lap and starts to eat from my hands

she is usually very friendly with me
But now after the veges are over, she goes away from me and sleep on the floor.

When I go near her, she runs away from me
But sometimes she sleeps next to me and allows me to pet her, she even licks me a lot when I start petting.

in the morning when I am sleeping on my bed, she comes on the bed and try to pull my hairs or chew my clothes

By God grace she keeps doing blinky which is a good indication, but not sure why is she avoiding me.

so putting it all togather, what do you think she goes away from me

I honestly have no clue... If i had to guess its probably because she wants to play with another "toy", for her you are a companion so it would be wierd if she was by your side all the time, you are probably not by your friends side 24/7 either. It sounds like your rabbit is having lots of fun so i wouldnt think too much about it.

About the "scratching", she is digging, bunnies LOVE digging! If you dont want her to scratch up your floors you could invest in a digging box, you can make these fairly cheap by putting bedding in a box. You could also get some fleece blankets (my bun loves digging these) but if she starts chewing on these you have to take them away :)

Good luck

Hm, recently my buck doesn't sleep in the same room as me - and I'm pretty sure it's because the floor and air in the other part of the house is a little cooler, it's awfully hot here now. He still runs laps around my bed in the morning.

Ah, does and digging :). I had an intact doe in the house for 8 months (Myxo quarantine), she actually started to dig a tunnel straight into the wall, after 2" of plaster the bricks stopped her. She's a very happy outdoor bunny now, and my garden is a Indiana Jones Style Pitfall Adventure Park :D.
It's not like they dig all year round, mine do it for 1-2 months, then take a brake for half a year to a year, and it's individual when they dig - Fury moves a lot of dirt in spring, my Grey digs now, I guess it's much more comfortable underground now.

Funny detail: I can tell does and bucks apart because of the way they dig. Does dig holes, pits, tunnels, whole warren. Bucks do short, about 5 second digging bursts at different places, it's one of the first thing they start doing when I let them out of their hutches - doe's on the other hand first do their round of marking, chin rubbing and sniffing.

Last edited:
6 months
I guess its Dwarf
What Preitler mention in the last line is true with Coco also
doe's on the other hand first do their round of marking, chin rubbing and sniffing.

Her change in behavior towards you - avoiding you and running away - isn't surprising given her age. Hormones and becoming an adult causes them to grow out of their "baby" behavior. Baby rabbits are typically much more compliant, docile and handle-able. Once adult, that can all change. Few adults like to be handled.

Hormones themselves can cause many changes (or very few), depending on the individual rabbit. Avoidance, aggression, lunging , biting, forgetting potty habits, excessive destructive chewing, are all potential hormonal behaviors. She may start exhibiting some of these less desirable habits (or none at all). Spaying her may be a good idea to consider.

Now she has started eating door wood/ply
she is also eating wall paint

10% from the bottom my door is now colourless as he removes ply

Latest posts

Back