Bunny Magic: The Simon and Olive Show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simon, dinking aorund:

file-60.jpg

Very cute!

Jj
(I post too much on your blog)

Well how about instead of blogging you read another's blog. Perhaps one called P/P Pembrooke?

Jj
(Who needs to stop posting, this wasn't a post it was a political draw-in or advertisement)

I've really, truly gone off the deep end. Buying more equipment for an already pricey (for me) camera I barely know how to use. But I'm convinced, in an All-American, hamfisted way, that by god, if I just buy enough stuff/gadgetry, I can make the darn thing work.

In particular, I bought several lenses (two) and an external flash. Because, yeah, I really need to be spending my money on my camera.

Here's what I bought: The Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S Nikkor Lens and the
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens. Oh, and the SB 400 external flash, which I won't link, because I'm being incredibly lazy and it's not that hard to just google it or look it up on Amazon.

I figure if I play around with the camera enough over winter break (when I really should be racking up a bibliography for an independent study project that involves quite a bit of tough reading--frankly I don't know why I do this to myself) I'll miraculously have figured out enough to take good bunny photos, and maybe even some human subjects as well.

While I was playing with the camera this morning, I got this lovely shot. I say it's "lovely" because it shows how nice my SO can be when he's petting the bunnies (he's partial to Simon, probably because he's a boy :p).

file-63.jpg

Notice how little Simon looks in the picture... obviously, my mad photography skilz.... well, just aren't up to par. But any way, I think it's weird he looks so small in this photograph, because while he's not the monster bunny we were promised, he's at least a good four pounds (and all of it nice--except for the bit where he nips when I try to trim his nails :confused2:).

And now, for some Olive action. I call this shot doing her "sneaky Pete" routine. She likes to tip toe around the X pen, all pseudo-stealth. I find it very amusing. Here she is deciding whether or not to make a break for it:

file-62.jpg

And that, dear friends, is all I have to say for right now. Not much to go on, I realize, but it's the end of the quarter, I'm feeling lousy from lack of sleep, and somehow, there's still two more days to jump through hoops before final papers are due.

Bah. I just want to sit and take pictures of my bunnies (and learn how to use my camera properly).

Last edited by a moderator:
So, instead of preparing for class (which I need to do in a dire way) I've been... you guessed it, photographing my bunnies. There's nothing that says "procrastination" like obsessively photographing your bunnies, let me tell you now.

I think this is a particularly nice photograph of Simon--his eye color is pretty true in this shot, and he's lost that "Robo-bunny" look. This is also pretty typical of Simon's "look"--vaguely worried. Or maybe he's just wondering what the crazy lady behind the camera is gonna do next (answer: shoot another picture!).

file-67.jpg

And a funny one of Olive:
file-68.jpg

I'm no great shakes at the camera yet, but luckily, it's so smart, I can take several hundred photographs of pure crud and come up with maybe half a dozen worthwhile shots.

Olive, "listening":

file-75.jpg

And now I must either go shoot more photos, or do actual work:p. One more day left to the academic quarter... it feels like forever.

Oh VERY cute!

Jj

I was playing around today with my new prime lenses (AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G and AF-S DX Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and SB-400 flash) and came up with a decent photograph of Simon, In Which He Looks Majestic (and no red-eye! Gotta love that external flash!)

file-91.jpg

And because I can't have one without the other, here's one of Olive:

file-92.jpg

And a rather darker one of the two bunnies:

file-93.jpg

In other news, I've finished my academic quarter and other than a meeting with a prof, I'm free until January. Well, kinda free, any ways.

So, I did a walk about on campus and around my neighborhood with my new camera and took lots of pictures. Fun!

Ok, so I'm going for the "Awwwww! Olive!" factor here. Shameless Olive plug. Doesn't she look diminutive and baby-like in this photo? It's very sweet, I think.

file-94.jpg

OMG you have the cutest bunnies:big kiss:. You get such great pictures of them and excellemt captions.

I have a fairly nice camera i bought last Xmas, geez i"m useless when it comes to using different settings.

Keep those pictures coming.

Susan:)

SOOOSKA wrote:
OMG you have the cutest bunnies:big kiss:. You get such great pictures of them and excellemt captions.

I have a fairly nice camera i bought last Xmas, geez i"m useless when it comes to using different settings.

Keep those pictures coming.

Susan:)
Thank you so much, Susan! What kind of camera do you have? I bought a Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens, plus a couple primes (35mm and 50mm). I also bought an external flash--just the SB 400; nothing fancy since I'd already spent an arm and a leg and then some on the camera itself.

I am brand new to photography (other than point and shoots and the oldie-but-goodie film cameras of yesteryear) and had no idea consumer-level cameras could be so spendy! I actually like to go for walks and take pictures, too, but I feel terribly conspicuous and sometimes worry a bit about my safety when I have the equivalent of a paycheck (or two--gulp!) slung around my neck ;). Also, the weather tends to be rather rainy in the Pac NW where I live, so not so great for taking photographs outdoors (and it's been rather cold to boot).

I'm sure this is a no-brainer, but if you have time, doing a websearch on your camera will bring up loads of info--I've read a lot and have seen lots of stuff on youtube re: basic photography/image composition, but I find my brain doesn't quite work the way it needs to in order to understand the "nuts and bolts"--I just like to point and shoot! As a result many, many bunny photos never make it to the blog :D. (I find if I need help--which I often do--I ask on the photophiles camera corner forum, and get bucket loads of help there when I ask--such a friendly forum.)

Any way, glad you like my bunny photos! I'm on holiday for a few weeks so I'll be able to continue to "shoot my bunnies" ;). Well, photographically-speaking, any ways.

"What, Ma, do I have to?"

file-97.jpg

And below: Bottoms up! aka "'S'cuse me, I gots to use the litterpan!"

file-98.jpg

Check out that fluffy bunny tail (and forgive the dirty feetsies)!

DEAD BUNNY FLOP!! (Olive rarely does this, and this is as close up as I could get with my 35mm prime lens on my D3100 without having her startle and wake up, so sorry for the lousy picture--but you get the general idea! ;))

file-101.jpg

Oh! SOOOOOOO cute! I just love your blog!
Jj

Latest posts

Back