Bunny Eating shavings

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you just forgo the bedding altogether? I have an angora so I don't use any bedding (gets caught in his fur) and I don't miss it.

Also, I've seen toys made of hay twisted into various shapes. Those are great because they can go town on them and it's just way.

I've bought the twisted hay he loves them.. totally forgot about them though I guess I'll buy some more and see if they help.

I don't know that there would be any thing wrong with him eating the aspen bedding. I give my rabbits apple and willow branches, and they don't just chew on them but actually eat the entire thing when they are the small branches. Larger ones they will strip the bark off and eat it. As far as I know, aspen is considered safe for rabbits as well. I haven't heard of splinters being a problem for rabbits, but I suppose it's possible.

I guess he does eat his apple wood branches lol. It just seemed weird to me. He doesn;t eat enough to decrease his intake of food so I guess I'll try new toys and stuff and hope it stops.

Mine actually eat it too, I have one that take cardboard tubes and eats it completely by the next time I go in the barn. I have never had blockage problems as they always have hay available and because they will eventually stop eating it once they have had enough. With all 12 rabbits I have now I have never had a problem with them eating it, like ingesting it. Thats not including the ones I have sold. I've had some eat half an oatmeal box a day and other eat not even a quarter of a toilet paper tube. No matter how much they eat I've never had a problem with blockages.
I know JBun mentioned Blockages but I have never had a problem and I am constantly checking for problems. I guess it depends on your rabbit and how they react to certain things. Mine have grown up on cardboard and even some I've brought into my herd still don't have problems. My one rabbit if not given tons of cardboards toys would have way to long of teeth, its the only way I can keep her teeth short because her hay isn't enough for her teeth

I'm guessing cardboard without dyes? no waxy stuff right? I'll keeep giving him his tubes if you have never had problems. I just thought maybe it had glues or something in it.

You could try a pelleted litter like Yesterdays News unscented or wood pellets. Both are great at absorbing odor.
I tried a store brand one we have here and he ate it too lol I'll stick to the cheap stuff :p

I think some wood is normal in a rabbits diet. It's because they are pets that they usually don't have access to chewing on it unless we give it to them, but in the wild they would be eating it. I think that is why so many of our pet rabbits love cardboard. They may be eating the cardboard if they don't also have wood things to chew on. Though plain cardboard is usually safe and many of us let our rabbits rip up and destroy cardboard toys, it has been known at times to cause digestive problems if too much of it is ingested. In fact there is a thread right now in health and wellness, where someone's rabbit may have developed stasis from eating too much cardboard. I would much rather my rabbit munch on it's aspen bedding then have it eating a bunch of cardboard.

I really think that topping the litter with hay will prevent litter chewers from getting to the litter. Then it really wouldn't matter what litter you use.

The wood pellets (not shavings) are very economical. One 40lb bag costs $4-$7 (depending on where you live). One bag lasts my 2 rabbits about 2 months.

Mine also eat cardboard all the time (boxes, TP tubes, paper towel tubes) but they also eat tons of hay. Sometimes I'll use a plain paper lunch bag and put hay in there as a toy too. I think the key with cardboard is making sure they also get lots of hay to help pass it through their gut.

Other chew options are seagrass mats and willow balls or baskets

The wood pellets (not shavings) are very economical. One 40lb bag costs $4-$7 (depending on where you live). One bag lasts my 2 rabbits about 2 months.

Mine also eat cardboard all the time (boxes, TP tubes, paper towel tubes) but they also eat tons of hay. Sometimes I'll use a plain paper lunch bag and put hay in there as a toy too. I think the key with cardboard is making sure they also get lots of hay to help pass it through their gut.

Other chew options are seagrass mats and willow balls or baskets

Here a 20 pound bag is like $13.00 I do weekly cleanouts and it lasts a weeks if I'm lucky between him and my 4 guinea pigs(2 cages) I'll give him cardboard and just make sure he's not eating a ton of it. And I'll scatter random hay so when he gets the urge to eat something it's right there. I would top his litter up with hay but he empties it as it is. I'll try it but /i really don't think he'll leave it there :(

I think some wood is normal in a rabbits diet. It's because they are pets that they usually don't have access to chewing on it unless we give it to them, but in the wild they would be eating it. I think that is why so many of our pet rabbits love cardboard. They may be eating the cardboard if they don't also have wood things to chew on. Though plain cardboard is usually safe and many of us let our rabbits rip up and destroy cardboard toys, it has been known at times to cause digestive problems if too much of it is ingested. In fact there is a thread right now in health and wellness, where someone's rabbit may have developed stasis from eating too much cardboard. I would much rather my rabbit munch on it's aspen bedding then have it eating a bunch of cardboard.

I guess I never thought about it but in winter they eat wood and bark too. It just worried me lol. I'm going to assume he just needs more fiber and leave him to it.

Here a 20 pound bag is like $13.00 I do weekly cleanouts and it lasts a weeks if I'm lucky between him and my 4 guinea pigs(2 cages) I'll give him cardboard and just make sure he's not eating a ton of it. And I'll scatter random hay so when he gets the urge to eat something it's right there. I would top his litter up with hay but he empties it as it is. I'll try it but /i really don't think he'll leave it there :(

You can get pellets at farm supply stores (as stall bedding) or at home improvement stores (as pellet stove fuel). Just make sure it doesn't have cedar!

I have a screen cover for my litterbox and it works great. You can get it at BinkyBunny's online store. I also get a toilet paper roll holder as a hay rack that I clipped right over his litter box. I also do not like putting hay in the box - it gets messy and peed on.

You can get pellets at farm supply stores (as stall bedding) or at home improvement stores (as pellet stove fuel). Just make sure it doesn't have cedar!

I have a screen cover for my litterbox and it works great. You can get it at BinkyBunny's online store. I also get a toilet paper roll holder as a hay rack that I clipped right over his litter box. I also do not like putting hay in the box - it gets messy and peed on.

thats where I buy my wood chips. they have pine cedar a mix of pine and cedar, aspen or corn pellets available.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I am a full supporter of cardboard toys. My rabbits absolutely love them! I have fed apple wood before(and still do) but the rabbits only nibble on them and then push them in the corner and thats where the stick stays. They are always playing with the cardboard toys, as they are much more fun for the rabbits and because they can easily chew them and grab onto them. Depending on the rabbit they eat different amounts but all the rabbits play with them. I've been giving them cardboard for years and have never had any ill affects. Like I said it does vary on each rabbit and their digestive system. Some rabbits have weaker systems than others and they are more prone to the GI Stasis. I have had bloat (type of GI Stasis) before in my kits and that was caused by stress during weaning and from nibbling on some grass. Usually young rabbits have weaker systems as do older rabbits.

I only give them plain cardboard tubes, although some of my older (not over 3) rabbits get oatmeal containers(has dyes on the outside) because they are very hyper in their cage and having the container helps them calm down because they can constantly play with the toys and run through it. I have one the sleeps in her tube and then when she gets bored she will start ripping apart and eating the inside of the container. The only other thing I give them that has dyes is a Kleenex box and only one rabbit has that. He is my special needs rabbit and he has trouble eating hay off the ground and can't figure out a hay rack, so we have it in a Kleenex box so it is easy for him to find it and just dunk his head inside the box to eat it, he nibbles on the box but doesn't really eat it.

I can't give him cardboard or he'll eat it lol but I'm going to look at some more stuff for him this wheel. He has plastic rings from one of his cage to the next with small toys hanging, this fabric circle with ropes on it. A couple small cat balls without small holes to get teeth in. ahay hopper. Elk antlers and apple wood to chew. and one of those canvas tunnels for cats, and one of these: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=fT8DknjcMJY35M&tbnid=4rUFP9imawxVIM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http://www.cozycatfurniture.com/cat_condos/catcondo_playland.html&ei=DfEkUo3-O4HF2AWz24HgBw&bvm=bv.51495398,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNFoPvHnxGIxAHby1emH_4UT8RsBew&ust=1378239111846410

and thats just inside his cage, he also has an outdoor run with stuff in it and a "veggie garden" for him . what other toys would you suggest?
I don't know that there would be any thing wrong with him eating the aspen bedding. I give my rabbits apple and willow branches, and they don't just chew on them but actually eat the entire thing when they are the small branches. Larger ones they will strip the bark off and eat it. As far as I know, aspen is considered safe for rabbits as well. I haven't heard of splinters being a problem for rabbits, but I suppose it's possible.
I gave my rabbit pine conre i made sure they had no spray on them i washed them then soaked them in vinager white then rinsed them dried them and gave them to him he plays with them and chews on them he will pick one up with his mouth and show me his toy he is smart

Latest posts

Back