Bunny Eating shavings

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie-lynn

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and could use some advice. I have a 3 year old rex buck. Lately he's been eating his wood chips. He has tons of things to do in his cage, hanging toys, a ball, a rope toy. Palm fiber to shred. ect. And he has an outdoor run which he goes in a few hours a day. I don't think it's boredom. I feed him purina agribrands pellets, hay(my dad has cattle and grows his own)it's not from a bag and he gets fresh veg everyday and I grow parsley basil and catgrass for him so he gets a little bit of that as well. he also has a mineral block and a salt lick. Does anyone know why he could be eating his wood chips? I've owned rabbits for years my dad has been breeding for over 20 years and we have no idea whats causing this.

Probably not so much eating as a "chewing" behavior. Ours also go after their bedding, but not on a continual basis. They remind me of our children on xmas a few decades back. We'd get them these great and expensive toys and they'd play with the box.

No, he actually ingests them.. I've seen it more then once :( I gave him a box to play with and he ate that too. like there was half missing and not a single bit of cardboard anywhere. ...

It could be he senses the need for more fiber in his diet and that's why he's taken to eating the wood chips. Rabbits need a lot of fiber in their diet, for digestive health and for tooth wear. Usually daily hay provides it, but sometimes that isn't enough. If he's molting, he may be needing the extra fiber to move the ingested hair through his GI tract. Or he could be developing sharp points on his molars and that's why he's eating the chips, to try and wear the sharp points down. Daily hay along with rabbit safe branches and chew blocks can help wear down a rabbits teeth so they don't develop sharp points.

If the wood chips are kiln dried pine shavings, it should be ok for him to be chewing on them. If you are using cedar, they're bad for rabbits and you don't want him eating them, and you should change shavings.

.... Rabbits need a lot of fiber in their diet, for digestive health and for tooth wear. Usually daily hay provides it, but sometimes that isn't enough. If he's molting, he may be needing the extra fiber to move the ingested hair through his GI tract. ....

.... hay(my dad has cattle and grows his own)it's not from a bag and he gets fresh....

Do you have access to Horse hay, rather then hay for cattle? He might be lacking something in his diet that the hay isn't providing like fiber or... Hay grown and used for cattle is pretty lacking sometimes in comparison to that used for horses.

Could you provide a toy for him like a toilet paper tube? I know when our Lionhead doe, Eevee, started eating her bedding it was because she was bored with her selection of toys, we upgraded her to a woven mat, an oatmeal tube(She loves this toy as she can run through it) a toilet paper tube ball, and papertowel tube that is stuffed with hay hanging from the top of her cage down.

It could be he senses the need for more fiber in his diet and that's why he's taken to eating the wood chips. Rabbits need a lot of fiber in their diet, for digestive health and for tooth wear. Usually daily hay provides it, but sometimes that isn't enough. If he's molting, he may be needing the extra fiber to move the ingested hair through his GI tract. Or he could be developing sharp points on his molars and that's why he's eating the chips, to try and wear the sharp points down. Daily hay along with rabbit safe branches and chew blocks can help wear down a rabbits teeth so they don't develop sharp points.

If the wood chips are kiln dried pine shavings, it should be ok for him to be chewing on them. If you are using cedar, they're bad for rabbits and you don't want him eating them, and you should change shavings.

He's on aspen shavings and has apple wood to chew and some elk antlers as well. I checked his teeth and they're all fine from what I can tell. He's not shedding. He did a few weeks ago and I brushed everything out. I would never use cedar for anything. Sadly a lot of people in my area do and I've had peopel call because they buy baby rats and a few weeks later have respitory issues even though I tell them not to use cedar.

Do you have access to Horse hay, rather then hay for cattle? He might be lacking something in his diet that the hay isn't providing like fiber or... Hay grown and used for cattle is pretty lacking sometimes in comparison to that used for horses.

Because we grow our own hay for our cows and to sell it's just as good as the horse hay around here. It's not dusty or anything hasn't been rained on and is very good hay. I was buying him the timothy and alfalfa from kaytee but I find he likes this better and it's better quality.

Could you provide a toy for him like a toilet paper tube? I know when our Lionhead doe, Eevee, started eating her bedding it was because she was bored with her selection of toys, we upgraded her to a woven mat, an oatmeal tube(She loves this toy as she can run through it) a toilet paper tube ball, and papertowel tube that is stuffed with hay hanging from the top of her cage down.

I can't give him cardboard or he'll eat it lol but I'm going to look at some more stuff for him this wheel. He has plastic rings from one of his cage to the next with small toys hanging, this fabric circle with ropes on it. A couple small cat balls without small holes to get teeth in. ahay hopper. Elk antlers and apple wood to chew. and one of those canvas tunnels for cats, and one of these: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=...HnxGIxAHby1emH_4UT8RsBew&ust=1378239111846410

and thats just inside his cage, he also has an outdoor run with stuff in it and a "veggie garden" for him . what other toys would you suggest?

just noticed oyu said molars. that could be it. maybe he'll let me look.. NOT. lol It's been going on for about 6 weeks, could it take that long to wear points down?

I can't give him cardboard or he'll eat it lol but I'm going to look at some more stuff for him this wheel. He has plastic rings from one of his cage to the next with small toys hanging, this fabric circle with ropes on it. A couple small cat balls without small holes to get teeth in. ahay hopper. Elk antlers and apple wood to chew. and one of those canvas tunnels for cats, and one of these: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=...HnxGIxAHby1emH_4UT8RsBew&ust=1378239111846410

and thats just inside his cage, he also has an outdoor run with stuff in it and a "veggie garden" for him . what other toys would you suggest?
They love eating cardboard! It is a safe toy that they can chew on and it is very easy to obtain. Cardboard boxes are also really fun for them to play with!

Because I don't like to clean up a lot of hay I "made" Hay holders by taking empty Kleenex boxes (all plastic removed) and stuffing it with hay It is very similar to a hay rack and the rabbit love it since they can eat the hay out of it (They don't tend to eat the box since it has the dyes on it and because they have tastier cardboard balls they can eat)

With the toilet paper balls I like to stick a treat in the center of them, like cheerios or a piece of apple or Romaine lettuce, they go nuts for them and by the end of the day the whole ball is gone!

I would try getting him a cardboard box, most rabbits go nuts over them and they loveee eating it! You could make him a cardboard woven mat, my rabbits love that and it takes longer to destroy, it also works as a resting mat since they have wire floors in their cages.

Wow he has a variety of toys! Thats a lot, lol:) Most of my toys, with the exception of maybe one or two, are all cardboard and they always chew on them:) The image didn't come up for me, but thats ok! I'm sure it is an awesome toy!

Unfortunately with their molars, it takes a vet to get a good look at them, sometimes it even takes sedating. Usually the best indication of a rabbit having tooth problems is the rabbit will stop eating certain foods and may have difficulty chewing. It's difficult to know for sure if sharp points are an issue without a vet check.

Aspen bedding is just fine for rabbits and shouldn't cause any problems for him to be chewing on it. Much better that then a bunch of cardboard. Though some cardboard is usually ok for rabbits, excessive consumption of it has lead to blockage problems for a few.

I was worried about my Nethie eating his shavings in his litterbox when I first got him. How I alleviated this was by putting a thick layer of straw on top. He never reached his shavings. Perhaps doing something like that could help prevent yours from getting to his shavings? :)

They love eating cardboard! It is a safe toy that they can chew on and it is very easy to obtain. Cardboard boxes are also really fun for them to play with!

Because I don't like to clean up a lot of hay I "made" Hay holders by taking empty Kleenex boxes (all plastic removed) and stuffing it with hay It is very similar to a hay rack and the rabbit love it since they can eat the hay out of it (They don't tend to eat the box since it has the dyes on it and because they have tastier cardboard balls they can eat)

With the toilet paper balls I like to stick a treat in the center of them, like cheerios or a piece of apple or Romaine lettuce, they go nuts for them and by the end of the day the whole ball is gone!

I would try getting him a cardboard box, most rabbits go nuts over them and they loveee eating it! You could make him a cardboard woven mat, my rabbits love that and it takes longer to destroy, it also works as a resting mat since they have wire floors in their cages.

Wow he has a variety of toys! Thats a lot, lol:) Most of my toys, with the exception of maybe one or two, are all cardboard and they always chew on them:) The image didn't come up for me, but thats ok! I'm sure it is an awesome toy!

He actually eats it though. Like ingests it lol. I don't think that's safe really? And he doesn't get as much interaction right now as I would like.. I have a brand new baby so more cage time sadly :( And I thought he was bored so I keep adding things :p

Unfortunately with their molars, it takes a vet to get a good look at them, sometimes it even takes sedating. Usually the best indication of a rabbit having tooth problems is the rabbit will stop eating certain foods and may have difficulty chewing. It's difficult to know for sure if sharp points are an issue without a vet check.

Aspen bedding is just fine for rabbits and shouldn't cause any problems for him to be chewing on it. Much better that then a bunch of cardboard. Though some cardboard is usually ok for rabbits, excessive consumption of it has lead to blockage problems for a few.

Is there a better bedding since he's eating it? And I know lo I was being sarcastic. He hasn't stopped eating anything just started eating new things.

I was worried about my Nethie eating his shavings in his litterbox when I first got him. How I alleviated this was by putting a thick layer of straw on top. He never reached his shavings. Perhaps doing something like that could help prevent yours from getting to his shavings? :)

I would try it but he's a huge digger. He moves his shavings around constantly from one side to the other, makes spots to lay and such. I think he would still do it. may be worth trying though

If you're really concerned about him eating the wood chips, and since it sounds like you have access to lots of inexpensive hay, have you considered just using hay for bedding? It's not as absorbent or as good at odor control, but at least he could eat as much as he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

If you're really concerned about him eating the wood chips, and since it sounds like you have access to lots of inexpensive hay, have you considered just using hay for bedding? It's not as absorbent or as good at odor control, but at least he could eat as much as he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I have thought about it but we're in an apartment with a bunny, 8 guinea pigs (2 pairs and a new litter) 8 hamsters and a litter of hamster pups, a spiny mouse a gecko and a snake. And we have a new baby so odor control is pretty important for us. I've been trying to find out if there is a safer bedding for him to eat. I'm kinda concerned about splinters when he eats them or something.. wats the likelihood of that happening?

Could you just forgo the bedding altogether? I have an angora so I don't use any bedding (gets caught in his fur) and I don't miss it.

Also, I've seen toys made of hay twisted into various shapes. Those are great because they can go town on them and it's just way.

I don't know that there would be any thing wrong with him eating the aspen bedding. I give my rabbits apple and willow branches, and they don't just chew on them but actually eat the entire thing when they are the small branches. Larger ones they will strip the bark off and eat it. As far as I know, aspen is considered safe for rabbits as well. I haven't heard of splinters being a problem for rabbits, but I suppose it's possible.

He actually eats it though. Like ingests it lol. I don't think that's safe really? And he doesn't get as much interaction right now as I would like.. I have a brand new baby so more cage time sadly :( And I thought he was bored so I keep adding things :p

Mine actually eat it too, I have one that take cardboard tubes and eats it completely by the next time I go in the barn. I have never had blockage problems as they always have hay available and because they will eventually stop eating it once they have had enough. With all 12 rabbits I have now I have never had a problem with them eating it, like ingesting it. Thats not including the ones I have sold. I've had some eat half an oatmeal box a day and other eat not even a quarter of a toilet paper tube. No matter how much they eat I've never had a problem with blockages.
I know JBun mentioned Blockages but I have never had a problem and I am constantly checking for problems. I guess it depends on your rabbit and how they react to certain things. Mine have grown up on cardboard and even some I've brought into my herd still don't have problems. My one rabbit if not given tons of cardboards toys would have way to long of teeth, its the only way I can keep her teeth short because her hay isn't enough for her teeth

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back