Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSunnyBuns

Reaction score
On April 6th I started my bonding journey (24/7 method) It’s been relatively decent but there’s just a couple things that have me hesitant to expand their pen (currently in a 2x2 as we’re still on the first step) . For a bit of background Arizona, my girl, is free roamed and Phoenix, my boy, is free roamed minus at night where he’s penned. Each in their own rooms. For the past couple months we’ve been letting them get used to each other through his pen, every night they’ve eaten dinner together, shared hay and chews, swapped litter boxes, and I’ve caught them laying down together through the bars. So finally I took the step to start bonding in a neutral territory. It’s been relatively good so far, no fighting or anything overly negative. They’ve even cuddled together and share their food/water 100% fine. However it’s also a bit strange. There’s been practically no mounting. The only bit they’ve done it is one time each on the second day and neither of them cared. But I think this is where the issue may stem from. They do commonly get into those “head wars” where both of them refuse to groom the other (they’ve groomed each other before just not as often as I would like) which makes me believe they’re having a hard time deciding who’s dominant. Phoenix is extremely sweet towards her and has never showed any negative behavior whatsoever however Arizona will swat at him I don’t know whether it’s because she’s annoyed with him or what but I’m too scared to move on with this continuing but it is the only negative behavior I have ever observed. Apologies for this being such a long post just kinda lost on what to do, any advice is so very appreciated. (Video attached of what Arizona is doing, taken on day 1. And some more photos of their progress throughout the 3 days)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    3.6 MB
  • F290D0AD-2C19-418D-BAA1-BF2FF3AE2EC2.jpeg
    F290D0AD-2C19-418D-BAA1-BF2FF3AE2EC2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • A2253A5E-041D-4AB6-8FA1-475887B8E1EB.jpeg
    A2253A5E-041D-4AB6-8FA1-475887B8E1EB.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 62E40B09-CAB7-4800-BADD-F0CDA2B0C4F9.jpeg
    62E40B09-CAB7-4800-BADD-F0CDA2B0C4F9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • E5072A8A-0B13-4006-9BDE-F98E76AE7A09.jpeg
    E5072A8A-0B13-4006-9BDE-F98E76AE7A09.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
I am definitely going to watch this post to see what others say …. but in my past experience with introducing buns for bonding ( and I know these have already spent time near each other as well ) ….
But I feel as long as Phoenix doesn’t turn on Arizona when she digs him like that …and she then turns and runs … things are good. I think she is just frustrated with Phoenix not submitting but not so much that she resorts to mounting or biting or fur pulling … They may just come to a happy medium
where one gives in to give the other a little here & there and they will both be okay with that . I would love to see what others have to say as well . I have dabbled in bonding for people
looking for companions for their buns- and so many experiences are different .

You could try expanding a little to see how they react. If the expanded space causes them to react negatively, you can always reduce it down again. Sometimes you just won't know if something will work out with bonding, until you actually try it.

A lot of judging bonding methods and progress, has to do with having a good understanding of rabbit behavior and body language, and being able to adapt and go with your gut, as you see those subtle interactions they have as they get used to each other.

Your two sound like they are still getting to know one another and sussing out their hierarchy.

I am definitely going to watch this post to see what others say …. but in my past experience with introducing buns for bonding ( and I know these have already spent time near each other as well ) ….
But I feel as long as Phoenix doesn’t turn on Arizona when she digs him like that …and she then turns and runs … things are good. I think she is just frustrated with Phoenix not submitting but not so much that she resorts to mounting or biting or fur pulling … They may just come to a happy medium
where one gives in to give the other a little here & there and they will both be okay with that . I would love to see what others have to say as well . I have dabbled in bonding for people
looking for companions for their buns- and so many experiences are different .
I’ve expanded just a little and tomorrow I hope to expand to a 2x4 since they did well with the mini expansion. And yes Phoenix is yet to ever even attempt to retaliate and I don’t believe he will fingers crossed! I hope Phoenix is getting to understand his place as he’s groomed her a lot more today when she asked. Thank you so much for your help! Even got this adorable video which I’m so so happy about

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    14.8 MB
I’ve expanded just a little and tomorrow I hope to expand to a 2x4 since they did well with the mini expansion. And yes Phoenix is yet to ever even attempt to retaliate and I don’t believe he will fingers crossed! I hope Phoenix is getting to understand his place as he’s groomed her a lot more today when she asked. Thank you so much for your help! Even got this adorable video which I’m so so happy about
Very cute video but you might want to attach something (cardboard, Perspex) to the bottom of the pen so limbs can't stick out. If bunny panics like that it could result in nasty injuries.

Latest posts

Back