Bunnies Drowned at Ohio Petland

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What really shocks me are the comments at the botoom the news articles. Many people are defending her, saying it's no big deal. Now death threats are inappropriate, and some of the people are simply responding to that issue, but I cannot believe how many people seem to be just not bothered by this...

i think that rabbit are just thought of as disposable pets, so they think what is the big deal if the rabbit , or mouse , or hamster is dead. Sad frame of mind.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
i think that rabbit are just thought of as disposable pets, so they think what is the big deal if the rabbit , or mouse , or hamster is dead. Sad frame of mind.
I agree. ^ . Until Humans and all of us as companion rabbit owners take Major Action to turn around the quick "good riddance" inhumane-acts mindset, nothing will change.

Rabbits will be disposable and not worth speaking up for. It saddens me that people view cats and dogs as emotion-less creatures or disposable also, or do vicious inhumane things to witness cruelty and cause death.

Growing up 45 years ago, Carrie McDonald showed us youngsters how she drowned young kittens from the farm overload. We went over to my Uncle's farm, and she brought out her pail of water. When you're 7 or 8 years old, that leaves an indelible impression. ... Or the neighbor boy who practiced his jack-knife throwing on a frog, after he hampered the frog/toad's ability to hop away.

Makes me sick that humans view rabbits as disposable items.

luvthempigs wrote: I certainly would not run to her rescue either. Nor pretend she didanything wrong.

^ I feel the same. ^ Would she feel differently, or have acted differently, if she had a rabbit companion pet to snuggle with or lick her cheek like a dog would do? What if the employee drowned two puppies and held them up on Facebook?

after reading all that tripe I'm mad as hell again. Euthanasia by "drowning"--that's not euthanasia, it was torture. And how did those poor bunnies get so injured that they needed to be put down instead of being treated by a vet. And the picture on her facebook page speaks volumes as to just what kind of a "good girl" she truly is. All of Ted Bundy's victims thought he was a "nice" harmless guy too. The real problem is that the prosecutor wants to take the easy road and not seek justice for those two poor bunnies. Otherwise the manager/photographer would be sitting on the hotseat too!:banghead

Nancy McClelland wrote:
after reading all that tripe I'm mad as hell again. Euthanasia by "drowning"--that's not euthanasia, it was torture. And how did those poor bunnies get so injured that they needed to be put down instead of being treated by a vet. And the picture on her facebook page speaks volumes as to just what kind of a "good girl" she truly is.
My thoughts exactly.

The real problem is that the prosecutor wants to take the easy road and not seek justice for those two poor bunnies. Otherwise the manager/photographer would be sitting on the hotseat too!:banghead
Yes, I wonder that myself. How is it possible that the manager/photographer isn't involved in this court case?

Jenk

:pullhair::X This says it all.

Ohio woman gets probation over rabbit drownings

The Associated Press

An Ohio pet store employee has been sentenced to six months' probation for drowning two injured rabbits and showing off about it on Facebook.

A judge in Akron also ordered Liz Carlisle to do 120 hours of community service and fined her $250 on Thursday. That was after the 20-year-old woman changed her previous not guilty plea to guilty on two counts of animal cruelty.

Defense attorney Ron Gatts says Carlisle decided she wanted to put the case behind her. He says she received death threats and was attacked verbally over a Facebook photo showing her with the rabbits.

Pet worker guilty; gets probation for drowned rabbits

By Phil Trexler
Beacon Journal staff writer

POSTED: 04:46 p.m. EST, Nov 19, 2009

A Ravenna woman, whose Facebook photo with two drowned rabbits garnered national attention, was sentenced today to probation.

Liz Carlisle, 20, pleaded guilty Tuesday to two counts of animal cruelty. She also received a $250 fine and will perform 120 hours of community service.

She was sentenced by Akron Municipal Judge Stephen Fallis in a courtroom devoid of reporters and news cameras.

Fallis, who was defeated in his election bid Nov. 3, could have sentenced Carlisle to 180 days in jail.

In earlier court appearances, media cameras and animal rights protesters hounded Carlisle and her family inside and outside the Harold K. Stubbs Justice Center.

Carlisle's attorney, Ron Gatts of Akron, arranged the sudden change of plea this week. Carlisle entered the guilty plea Tuesday and a presentencing report was completed in time for today's hearing.

The plea was not reflected on the court's online docket.

Gatts said Carlisle has been subjected to verbal attacks and death threats since news of the photos broke in August. He said he wanted to take the case to trial, but Carlisle wanted to put the case behind her.

Carlisle, he said, was ordered to drown the rabbits due to their severe injuries suffered during a fight with each other at the now-closed Petland store at Chapel Hill mall.

After drowning the rabbits, Gatts said a store supervisor photographed Carlisle smiling and holding a dead rabbit in each hand. Carlisle then posted the photo to her Facebook.com account, which caught the attention of animal rights activists.

Gatts said he was prepared to take the case to trial to prove that Carlisle did not break any laws by euthanizing the rabbits, which was directed by her bosses because of the severe injuries the animals suffered.

''As much as I wanted to try the case, [Carlisle] said, 'I did it,' which I think she has said from the beginning, and she said, 'I just want it to be over with.' ''

Prosecutors maintain Carlisle did not act appropriately and should have sought an opinion from a veterinarian before drowning the rabbits. Carlisle pleaded to the misdemeanor charges brought by the city.

''Unfortunately, it is not consistent with the way that most folks would deal with an animal that has injuries. You would take them to a vet and consult with the veterinarian as to the need for treatment, or whether treatment was appropriate,'' said Akron City Prosecutor Doug Powley.

Phil Trexler can be reached at 330-996-3717 or [email protected].

A Ravenna woman, whose Facebook photo with two drowned rabbits garnered national attention, was sentenced today to probation.

Liz Carlisle, 20, pleaded guilty Tuesday to two counts of animal cruelty. She also received a $250 fine and will perform 120 hours of community service.

She was sentenced by Akron Municipal Judge Stephen Fallis in a courtroom devoid of reporters and news cameras.

Fallis, who was defeated in his election bid Nov. 3, could have sentenced Carlisle to 180 days in jail.

In earlier court appearances, media cameras and animal rights protesters hounded Carlisle and her family inside and outside the Harold K. Stubbs Justice Center.

Carlisle's attorney, Ron Gatts of Akron, arranged the sudden change of plea this week. Carlisle entered the guilty plea Tuesday and a presentencing report was completed in time for today's hearing.

The plea was not reflected on the court's online docket.

Gatts said Carlisle has been subjected to verbal attacks and death threats since news of the photos broke in August. He said he wanted to take the case to trial, but Carlisle wanted to put the case behind her.

Carlisle, he said, was ordered to drown the rabbits due to their severe injuries suffered during a fight with each other at the now-closed Petland store at Chapel Hill mall.

After drowning the rabbits, Gatts said a store supervisor photographed Carlisle smiling and holding a dead rabbit in each hand. Carlisle then posted the photo to her Facebook.com account, which caught the attention of animal rights activists.

Gatts said he was prepared to take the case to trial to prove that Carlisle did not break any laws by euthanizing the rabbits, which was directed by her bosses because of the severe injuries the animals suffered.

''As much as I wanted to try the case, [Carlisle] said, 'I did it,' which I think she has said from the beginning, and she said, 'I just want it to be over with.' ''

Prosecutors maintain Carlisle did not act appropriately and should have sought an opinion from a veterinarian before drowning the rabbits. Carlisle pleaded to the misdemeanor charges brought by the city.

''Unfortunately, it is not consistent with the way that most folks would deal with an animal that has injuries. You would take them to a vet and consult with the veterinarian as to the need for treatment, or whether treatment was appropriate,'' said Akron City Prosecutor Doug Powley.

http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/4714567

Why wasn't the manager prosecuted as well if she gave the order?

AKRON -- She posted a photo of herself on the internet smiling and holding two drowned rabbits, but Liz Carlisle told a judge that she was forced to take the picture and ordered by a supervisor to drown the rabbits.

The picture, which was taken in the back of the Petland store at Chapel Hill Mall in Akron, caused an outrage. Liz Carlisle was charged with two counts of animal cruelty, and she pleaded guilty earlier this week.

At her sentencing, Carlisle spoke to the judge about why she drowned the animals. She said the animals were injured, and her supervisor ordered her to drown them.

"She just kept saying over again baptize Lizzy, and I said well what do you mean? And she says you know and her motion was she took her fist and pushed it under," Carlisle said.

The judge responded, "So she never said drown them?" Carlisle replied, "No she didn't use that term."

Carlisle told the court that she put the rabbits into a bucket of water then put another bucket on top of it. She said it was common practice to drown lame guinea pigs, hamsters and rabbits.

Franchise owner Gary Winslow says that the store never made a practice of drowning animals. Petland closed the store immediately after the pictures surfaced.

Carlisle says her supervisor at Petland took the photo.

"She told me to smile and I was really, I just feel like I was doing as I was told for the picture," she continued, "It wasn't the picture I was upset by, it was what I had to do what I felt my job was to do."

Carlisle's 90 day jail sentence was suspended. She was ordered by the judge to do three weeks of community service, followed by counseling and six months probation.

Petland did not return calls for comment.

Oh my goodness...how awful for those poor little bunnies...if anyone ever told me to do such a thing..i would tell them to shove the job where it fits..sorry but it's true.

That's just terrible!!

PS..i just couldn't bring myself to look at the picture

this should be a call out for those that live in Ohio--recall the prosecutor and put him out of a job. This is exactly what I said the gas bag was gonna do all along! Complain to the governor's office and to the state attorney general. This is not justice--those poor bunnies were not euthanized, they were tormented and tortured. Her attorney reminds me of an old joke--what's the difference between Ron Gatts and the Hindenburg. One is a flaming Nazi gas bag and the other was just a blimp.:banghead

The really sad thing... if it were two Cat's or Dog's that were drowned I'm sure the outcome would be very different. Rabbit's are still viewed by many as disposable due to their long history as meat animals. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she is getting some kind of punishment. I'm not entirely sure jail time would have been the wise choice of action, our jail system is packed to capacity to the point bad criminals are being released. I do feel her punishment wasn't stiff enough though. For example, she shouldn't be allowed to have animals, especially Rabbit's! No where did they mention that as part of her probation.

I read the updated story Here and I'm disgusted to see the amount of people approving her actions and just posting general hate comments towards Rabbit's. I find it highly concerning that some people feel that because there is so much human suffering in the world, that excuses animal suffering. What the hell is wrong with people? Are they really that closed minded and ignorant? :X

There are so many things about this that make me nuclear. Reading the court proceedings, she openly admitted to having routinely drowned other animals and that it was a common practice at that pet store. The real criminal is the prosecutor for not getting sanctions against Petland and not going after the manager who was clearly in charge. All you need to do is get one look at the photo to tell that she should never, ever be allowed any contact with animals--that one was definitely ten thousand words, the first, being Socio-path.:banghead

She received a $250 fine and will perform 120 hours of community service... Slap on the wrist. :nope:

Something that really bothers me? This section in the news story:

"Prosecutors maintain Carlisle did not act appropriately and should have sought an opinion from a veterinarian before drowning the rabbits. Carlisle pleaded to the misdemeanor charges brought by the city."

Wait, what? She shouldn't have drowned the rabbits regardless of the the vet's diagnosis!! It's inhumane and there are much better options.

This whole thing has me fuming!:X

It's Petland USA... I'm severely unsurprised. I've heard nothing but negative about this chain. They mislead customers about the sources of their animals and have an abhorrent track record for the health of animals sold at their stores. How sad that just an employee got a slap on the wrist. IMO the whole chain should be broken down. Friendly reminder: pet stores make a big chunk of cash off of SUPPLIES. Please support supplies-only vendors!

Latest posts

Back