Bunnies Drowned at Ohio Petland

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say "screw Petland" but that doesn't go far enough. When this first happened I contacted them by phone and some gal red a totally prepared statement and re-read it when I asked questions. I will not buy anything at all from them and tell everyone I know about their practices. I feel that this was an ongoing thing at that locale, not a once or one time problem--they are supposed to have district managers, so, obviously profit is their only concern and try to spin any damage as a one time, "we didn't know" or was "only following orders". Bull--that is not a defense and at best an extremely weak excuse --seems to be a training ground for socio-paths like the one in UK that sat a rabbit hutch and rabbit on fire. It breaks my heart and I really hate having to share air with people like that.:soapbox:banghead

this is so sad ):
i was thinking the same thing, about peta staging it...
but who really knows ):
but let's hope if it IS true, that Petland is more careful about who they hire.
because i know a lot of people work at petland because they love animals and it's a job where they can interact with them.
also, the petland in twelve oaks mall, in novi, michigan, has recently stopped selling all small animals.

we used to have a Petland here too, and everyone that worked there loved animals also. I gave them a couple of recommendations about their bunny habitat and they changed every thing before the next day--they were responsible. However, Petland, the company is not responsive or responsible in any way, shape or form. They only care about their bottom line. I asked the girl who answered the phone several questions about the Ohio incident and all she did is read the same prepared statement after each question. I think they could have handled it better but chose to give lip service to those who truly care about animal welfare. There is a difference between a local shop and a corporate office, but the corporate office sets the tone, and in this case they failed and two poor rabbits were abused, tormented, and then murdered in an extremely painful manner by a "good girl" who seems to have the makings of a true socio-path. The picture of her holding the dead rabbits and her huge smile speaks volumes on how truly "good" she is--and she had the manager take the picture so she could post it to her facebook account. As to PETA, I am a member, but, I don't threaten anyone or thing--that's like the abortion protester who kills the doctor. We believe in exposing wrong doing and making sure that laws are enforced so that animals can live out a full, pain free existence. We also belong to House Rabbit Society, ASPCA, HSUS, and WWF. We still can't figure out how anyone can abandon an animal, let alone torture, maim, and kill.

I haven't stepped foot in a PetLand in several years. After I first heard of this incident, I have been telling people about it and encouraging them not to shop there, either. The whole situation disgusts me, and because of this I will NEVER shop at a PetLand again.

I have also pretty much stopped shopping at any store that sells animals. I buy any supplies I need from stores that do not sell pets. (I get litter from Target; toys from The Busy Bunny; hay and pellets direct from American Pet Diner; etc.). There have been a couple times I needed something quickly and PetsMart was the only option, but try to plan ahead as much as possible to minimize that.

Latest posts

Back