Bumps in ears, wet nose and eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other bunny has been adopted soon after she got here. I had checked her ears at the time she spent here and they seemed ok.. but I guess it's better to let her new mom know about it. Thanks for the SP version of Craigslist! I had never heard about it here!

Gosh, I went to the animal section and there are people selling drugs there.. they advertise "medicine", but it's actually the other kind of drugs.. mescaline, cocainum, methadone, etc.. I guess I won't ask them for Ivermectin, who knows what they'll send?!!! Maybe that's why Craigslist isn't very much used in this country........ :( I'll keep looking though

I know its so different in other countries :(
Up here people will sell Revolution in a single tube on craigslist or the rest of their box because their animal died or grew out of that size. May be best to phone around to clinics? Up here its technically illegal to sell it with out a vet visit because of the heartworm medication in the drug, but some clinics do it all the time. So I would imagine it would be easier and more likely for vets to do it down there.
If I knew the laws on importing stuff like that, I would sell you a box and ship it down there.

As per the ivermectin in pills, I cant answer that as I do not and have never used ivermectin. I only use Revolution (selamectin) because I know its super safe even at 20x the normal dose, super easy to get a hold of, and for me its really cheap.

Are there local dog forums for your country? do a search for some and make some posts on there to see if anyone would be willing to sell you some of either drug.

For now even if you can get the ear cleaner that will help break up the crusties and soothe everything going on in there as well as keep it happier until we can get something that will kill the mites (if that is the true issue) properly.
The issue with oil is it needs to be the right kind, right temperature, you have another rabbit (you still have Muli right?) and even after 3-4 weeks if you finally suffocate them in the bunny in question, the mites are still cruising around the cage, carpet, maybe they made their way to your other bunny from you, you finally dry out the foster bunnys ears from all the oil and the mites are like COOL! and come back. Issues like this need to be dealt with fast and properly. Especially since you have multiple animals. Dealing with the environment every day for more then a month is not fun. Dealing with an unfriendly bunnys ears every day for other a month, even less fun!

With revolution, in this case I would treat the rabbit at least twice, either once now and once again in 2 weeks (sooner doses are usually used in heavy infestations) or once now and again in 1 month. so really you're only touching the rabbit twice for this. and other then using ear cleaner to help clean out and break up the gunk in there, you're golden! No bunny fights for you :p

So I guess Revolution is the best bet? You mean if I use it, I wouldn't have to clean everything up thoroughly forever?
I can try to find it at vet offices.
I don't have MILU anymore. The bunny that came with Bilém (Bilém is the one who's here now) was adopted. So now Bilém is the only bunny here. There aren't crusts in her ears, except for debris inside there. Sometimes I see some little eruptions in her skin but her ears look mostly ok. I guess it'll be easy to get rid of her mites.
It seems like someone's interested in adopting her (I only foster bunnies now, 'cause I travel too much) so I want to treat her before she leaves.
Then I could clean up and how long do I have to wait to have a mite-safe environment before bringing another bunny?

Last edited:
Ha, as funny as it sounds, I just found it online on the pet shop where I buy her food!!! :)
Is that the 6% type I should buy?
Ouch, $43,15..
But I'll get it, her health is more important than anything else.
They don't have Ivermectin, but I guess Revolution is better anyway, right? I can just pass a little behind her head and that's it?? :)
I'll work from early morning to late night tomorrow, but hopefully on Tuesday I'll have time off and go buy it.

Last edited:
Yeah Revolution is expensive, but it does everything and is super safe. But thats why I would suggest buying only a dose or 2 (usually 2 tubes) from another pet owners so you dont have to buy a whole box :)

As long as its "Selamectin" then thats the stuff.
6%... not sure, I work it out mg/kg.
The general dose is 6-18mg/kg of body weight. I dose it at 18mg/kg because rabbits generally need more then a cat/dog would due to the way their body metabolizes the drug. Plus its safe even if you dosed much more then that, I have the study reports buried on my bookshelf somewhere haha! There are 2 concentrations in the revolution

Colour of box/mg in tube/concentration/ml in tube

Mauve 15 mg 60 0.25

Blue 45 mg 60 0.75

Taupe 60 mg 60 1.0
Purple 30 mg 120 0.25

Brown 60 mg 120 0.5

Red 120 mg 120 1.0

Teal 240 mg 120 2.0

S0 what you can do is find out your rabbits weight, for example 4lbs.... so my 4lb bunny weight 1.79kg. 1.79 x 18mg = 32.22mg
So my 4lb bunny needs a single dose of 32.22MG

To make life easy you could buy Revolution purple and give your 4lb bunny an entire single tube as 1 dose., or a box of brown and 1 tube would be 2 doses.

Make sense?
so depending on the bunnys weight, you can figure out what colour of revolution will make your life easier.

Or you can post your bunnys weight and i can do the math for ya if it doesnt make sense :p

My bunny weighs about 4 kilos. She seems to have lost weight, so I'd say more or less 3.5 to 4 Kilos.
Your math makes sense, but my brain isn't the same anymore, it doesn't know how to calculate anymore.. :baghead

Maybe I could buy a stronger dose and give a fraction of it?)
This is the link of the pet shop and types of Revolution they have:
http://www.cobasi.com.br/revolution

Ok - I tried to calculate - it'd be 72 mg?
Is it easy to make fractions out of it, and to apply?

Maybe I could buy the set of 3 tubes of the brown one, for $127,60 (ouch)

* When you mean "box", it's this single box with 1 tube they're selling at the store, right? I guess each box here has only 1 tube, 'cause the more expensive ones (more than $100) say they have 3 tubes...

Last edited:
a 4kg bunny would need 72mg at 18mg/kg dose or 24mg at 6mg/kg... Again I go for at least 18mg....
So you would probably be okay with a 60mg tube of the one in the Brown box. Or half a tube of the stuff in the Red box. With the red you could get a little syringe, suck out half of the liquid in the tube (that would be .5ml or .5cc) and just put that on the rabbit and keep the other half of the safely stored away for the 2nd dose.

But holey crow thats expensive if thats just 1 tube!

http://www.cobasi.com.br/Revolution-12--Caes-com-1-Bisnaga-Fort-Dodge-3941034/p Brown
http://www.cobasi.com.br/Revolution-12--Caes-com-1-Bisnaga-Fort-Dodge-3941042/p Red

But look... I found Ivermectin :) ... Haha I think...
http://www.cobasi.com.br/Ivomec-50-ml-Merial-Saude-3960012/p
I honestly cant read a thing I'm looking through but I got the right section under medications on the second try! Whewt!
again its not a drug I use so I cant advise if this is the right type or what the proper dose would be.

I'm not sure what some of the other drugs in this section are, and if any are safe for rabbits. My translator is not doing its job properly LOL
http://www.cobasi.com.br/busca/?fq=C:1000126

What a great job you're doing in Portuguese, you're doing better than me!!! LOL
:goodjob

You're right, that medicine has a different name but it's ivermectin! :)
I'll take whatever you think it's best, I'd only have to know how much and how to administer whatever you tell me to, to my bunny.
If you say Revolution, wouldn't 60 mg be too little if she weighs 4 kilos?
And yes, everything here is very expensive... :(
I don't know why other countries think we're doing "well". You'd get outraged if I told you my salary at the end of the month and how much things cost... but oh well. The important thing is that Bilém will be ok, and I owe it all to you and everybody who's helping here on RO!! THANKS A LOT!!!! :thanks:

:jumpforjoy:

at a strength of 18mg per kg of body weight your bunny would need 72mg in a single dose. So no the 60mg brown wouldnt be too much.

I wish I could send you some! a BOX yes... here a BOX means you get 6 tubes. 6 doses. so a BOX of Rebolution brown, 6 tubes/doses would only cost me $57 plus tax CAD >.< Mind you thats my cost, and its typically doubled for the public... but still 6 tubes is $110-$120... not that for 2 or 3, yikes!

Let me PM Christina about the ivermectin....

I just replied to Watermelons' PM about the ivermectin dosage. That 1% Ivomec is 10mg/ml ivermectin. Even at the high end dose you're looking at less than 2 ml per dose for a 4 kg rabbit. That's why I don't typically recommend using meds formulated for a very large animal on small animals, it's tough to get the dose just right.

Ivomec injectable is the right stuff. Ivomec is just the name brand. It should say somewhere on the box or bottle that it is 1%. It's normally used as a cattle wormer. I haven't used it myself for mites, but the people that have mentioned using it for this, say they put like 3 drops in each ear.

Well if you got that bottle of Ivermectin it would last you a long time.....

You can either do Revolution which will be expensive to do 2-3 doses every 2 weeks, which would be nice. Revolution is very safe and very low chance of issue.
Or Ivermectin which would be a lot cheaper, but you will have to give 3 injections 2 weeks apart. I think Ivermectin has a slightly higher chance of issue. We can easily walk you though how to give injections. I have pictures done up and everything.

I think the decision is up to you.
Can you find out tomorrow if a local human pharmacy will give/sell you cheaply 1cc insulin syringes? Their typically 80 or 100 or whatever units.... but some are .8ml and some are 1ml. So if you can get a hold of a few of those it may be easier to do the Ivermectin.

OMG... That store sells MONKEY FOOD! ahhh hehe
http://www.cobasi.com.br/Racao-para-Monkeys-Club-Alcon-3307238/p

Last edited:
Ivermectin can (according to the formularies I used) also be given orally at the same dosage.
It is not uncommon to give injectable meds orally as an off label usage although, outside of the direction of a veterinarian, using any medication at a dose or giving it in a way that is different from what it says on the package is technically illegal in this country.
Also, I am not (yet) a veterinarian.

I wanted to second what Christina said. It is easier to work with the injectible stuff, to dilute it properly, then give it orally, with a small animal.

Hi everybody, thanks for all the advice, you're all great!!! Actually the internet was down at work, so I just went and bought the red Revolution (120 mg) for dogs.

They wanted to know what animal I had, a cat or dog.. I just said "I want the red one with 120 mg".. :D They also had a box with 240 mg, would it have been better (considering she's 4 kilos)? I can exchange it if I need to.

I won't use it until I hear from you again, about how to use it properly, etc. It seems like all I have to do is spray(?) it behind her head? (like behind her ears?)
Then I'd only use 60 mg, and save the other 60 for using in 2 weeks - is this all right? Anything else I should know?

Wow, your price is much better than here! My mother almost fainted when she saw how much I paid for that.. maybe if I need it again (or for the other rescued bunnies) I could use your "exporting services", haha...

About giving injections, once I did a first-aid course, needed to inject saline solution (sub-Q in a cat).. it came all out of his skin on the other side.. so I guess I'll pass on the injections if I can.. I'm not the best at it..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back